I think I lost a ball joint

MoparDan

Reaction score
It looks to me, from your picture, that whoever installed the ball joint didn't thread it in all the way. Note how the threads are Rusty on the top, indicating that they were exposed.

He said that one went on (and old one came off) A LOT easier then the other three so I guess maybe the threads on the control arm rusted? Both arms are a little crusty probably simply the result of 30 years in Connecticut. About the first thing I did with this car 9 years ago when I bought her was I painted the undercarriage with rustoleum to (I would've used POR15 if I could've afforded it) I intended to paint the control arms too, but ran out of time and every year right before fall hit I'd repaint everything to protect it from the road salt, but somehow the control arms never got done. One day I'd like to find a nice set of rust free control arms but right now thats just not possible so for now I'll buy a grease gun and try to keep the ball joint lubed

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Keep on top of wrecking yards and they'll eventually show up. Get them before it breaks and you're in a bind all over again.

Camtron

Reaction score
They didn’t press your upper balljoints in/out did they; Like, they knew the upper ball joints are threaded and the lower balljoints are pressed? Because that would be a shitty way to lose a control arm/ball joint, just a blatant error on the shops part.
Anyway, I hope the best for you Dan, good luck.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Keep on top of wrecking yards and they'll eventually show up. Get them before it breaks and you're in a bind all over again.
I plan to. A couple of questions: whats the best state to look for control arms in? and is there a particular year car to look for or avoid? I'm assuming any F/M/J would fit am I right?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, any F/M/J body will be the same. Have you checked with Deconstructor Jim? He has desert southwest (i.e. rust free) stuff for darn reasonable prices.
Jim's Az Parts

He is a member on this site as well and has many more parts than what's listed on his website.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Jim just sent me an upper control arm assembly for my 87 fifth avenue. Little surface rust which cleaned up nicely.
Great guy... decent prices.
JW

MoparDan

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance yet... long story short my wife's chest pain turned out she'd had 4 mini heart attacks... I'll be trying to contact him within the next week or two assuming the new pills I'm going to have to pay every month don't take all my money...

Back