I want the MyGig!

DustinSitz

Reaction score
I think I’m going to do a radio install sometime soon. Since cost is similar, and the MyGig is the last 1.5DIN Chrysler stereo— its worth asking the question.

Additionally: what are y’all running as far as modern stereo/speakers?

My car is a 1989 Fifth Avenue

Camtron

Reaction score
My “modern” stereo is the Cd/Tape/ radio unit out of a late ‘90s Cherokee. I installed Boss audio speakers in both the dash and rear package tray. Have been thinking about adding speakers in the kicker panels but, would want a second set of panels to cut up.
Sound quality is very nice. But practically anything would have sounded better than the dried/torn speakers that came in the car.
I also have a ‘89, 5th Ave.

2CD2C3DE-4343-4C71-AB36-EA886975EB73.jpeg

Hayzoos

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a MyGig work in a vehicle without a CAN-B bus?

I purchased a cheap Wal-Mart mech-less head unit 1DIN in size and used a 1DIN->1.5DIN adaptor I had. It has Bluetooth for hands-free phone and playlist, USB input, and aux plus AM/FM. I am using factory speakers and rear amp. Sounds at least as good as factory and a lot more convenient. Blue glow illumination is a bit out of place.

I have a couple of factory units that need refurbished when I get time to do so. One is an AM/FM/Cassette with EQ and silver face. Its buttons all need replaced and the cassette drive belt is toast along with the standard replacement of electrolytic capacitors. I hope to obtain a silver face joystick model. I may try to add AUX/Bluetooth/USB via a module or cassette adaptor.

Camtron

Reaction score
I know Jegs has factory models like mine that have been refurbished and aux port added to them. They go for like $400
There used to be a guy on eBay who outfitted older heads like ours with Bluetooth and/or Aux port but, I didn’t see any of his listings when I did a quick search just now.

MoparDan

Reaction score
My “modern” stereo is the Cd/Tape/ radio unit out of a late ‘90s Cherokee. I installed Boss audio speakers in both the dash and rear package tray. Have been thinking about adding speakers in the kicker panels but, would want a second set of panels to cut up.
Sound quality is very nice. But practically anything would have sounded better than the dried/torn speakers that came in the car.
I also have a ‘89, 5th Ave.

View attachment 47990
I also use this radio (mine's from a 2000 Durango) with Infinity Refrence speakers bought ages ago at Best Buy...the speakers sounded great but are starting to wear a bit (they are over 12 years old to be fair)

DustinSitz

Reaction score
A good question: which vehicles came with the higher-powered later radios like Cam’s— but with the silver buttons that match(ish) our dashboards a bit better?

I feel like I’ve seen them before. Maybe in the Dynasty style Imperials/Fifths?

Hayzoos

Reaction score
They Dynasty style Imperials/Fifths are good contenders to have had the silver faced radios. Something tells me maybe early Town & Country minivans could have had them as well. My memory is getting old and unreliable, but I have a mental picture of a silver faced joystick model with less rounded buttons.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Everything 88 and newer was black but Chryslers had silver buttons I think until the LH cars which were radios like Cams.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
They Dynasty style Imperials/Fifths are good contenders to have had the silver faced radios. Something tells me maybe early Town & Country minivans could have had them as well. My memory is getting old and unreliable, but I have a mental picture of a silver faced joystick model with less rounded buttons.

I think the only one that was silver faced with the joystick was the 80s equalizer ones.

DustinSitz

Reaction score
There she is!

This radio would be a nice step up from the ones late M-Bodies would have come with— not that I know the power differences.

Do they take bespoke amps/speakers?

0B06B4B8-DD9F-484B-912D-F662C90DB7AE.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
The mygig is not 1.5din. 1.5din stereo headset are about 3” x 7”. That mygig is 6.5” x 7”, then sorting out Buss speed/wiring would be tricky (unless you’re solid at electrical) it would basically be a custom install to use the MyGig.

Camtron

Reaction score
There she is!

This radio would be a nice step up from the ones late M-Bodies would have come with— not that I know the power differences.

Do they take bespoke amps/speakers?

View attachment 48049
I have a ‘89 Fifth Ave, I didn’t have this stereo head in my car. Not sure what late model M they came in.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My Gig is double din, as mentioned above. About the only aftermarket radio I'm aware of that's 1.5 din is the Retro Sound Newport series. It would require an external CD player/changer though.

Retromanufacturing.com

Bonus round question: What does the DIN acronym stand for? I never would have guessed it.

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
Touchscreens aren't very conducive in these cars given the dash and shifter layout. Just get a Bluetooth enabled Pioneer deck for $60. I got one without a CD mechanism.

Your real issue is the speakers. For speakers to sound right the backside needs to be enclosed. Impossible to do the ones in the dash and the rear deck speakers have the trunk lid torsion bars in the way.

You can round out the sound by putting a sub in the trunk. I had a custom box made and installed right under the package tray with the speaker firing upwards. Sounds good didn't sacrifice the trunk space.

I can find photos if you want.

DustinSitz

Reaction score
The stereo I posted would probably run 80-100w, and that might be enough for an M.

It comes in the later model FWD New Yorker 5th Avenue and Imperial.

Maybe it really is so simple as a nice single DIN with Bluetooth.

*edit

My 1989 M-Body 5th has 6x8 rears, and 3.5 fronts? Anything special about them?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
DIN stands for Deutch Industrie Norm (my spelling is probably way off, but the general idea, and the initials are correct), or if translated, German Industry Standard.

Duke5A

Reaction score
The stereo I posted would probably run 80-100w, and that might be enough for an M.

It comes in the later model FWD New Yorker 5th Avenue and Imperial.

Maybe it really is so simple as a nice single DIN with Bluetooth.

*edit

My 1989 M-Body 5th has 6x8 rears, and 3.5 fronts? Anything special about them?

It's not a power issue. If the interior speakers don't have proper enclosures on the backsides you'll never get any low or mid range sound out of them. I only brought up a sub in the trunk because it will round out the sound and make it sound good. Properly setup interiors don't need subs, but the factory setup on these cars don't make it possible without a lot of work.

The dash speakers are a chore because heater ducting gets in the way. They are 3.5", but aftermarket speakers have larger magnets. Getting those to fit will require some trimming. I have some old 3.5" Rockford Fosgates in mine. Still though, no enclosure underneath. I've seen people install 6" round speakers in the kick panels on the door, but I've never done it.

The factory rear speakers on Fifth Avenues are 5x7 although 6x9 do fit. There is less room on the deck as opposed to Diplomats and Gran Furys because of the landau top. My Dad was able to mount 6x9's going through the top on his Diplomat. On mine I had to mount them from the bottom and they're covered with cardboard and fabric as a result.

I was able to squeeze enclosures on the backside of the 6x9
pair I have are actually out of a late 90's Chevy car. You can see the bottoms from the photos. It's tight though.

If you wanted a sub setup like what I have it involves cutting out the spare tire mounting hardware.

I hope this helps.

20190630_155542.jpg
's. The
20190630_194105.jpg
20190630_221525.jpg

69-

Reaction score
DIN stands for Deutch Industrie Norm (my spelling is probably way off, but the general idea, and the initials are correct), or if translated, German Industry Standard.
Perfect translation.

Except it is Deutsche not deutch (reminds me to Dutch - did they have something similar? I don't know)
:cool:
Oh, and I have the retrosound Newport 1.5 DIN in my LeBaron. I like it.

Back