I'd like to buy an argument....

Greg55_99

Reaction score
OK, for the sake of argument… Let’s say you’ve got a nice F-M-J-body… body with a bad 318…. And your Uncle Bob called over and say’s he’s got a rusty Jeep YJ with a REALLY good 4.0 he wants out of his yard….. YOU can have it if you want it….. How would you go about dropping one into the other (for the sake of argument…..) Asking “why” is not a potential solution…. Nor is "get another 318". This is just a technical query on HOW one could do this. Extra points for creative thinking...

Greg

Last edited:

lowbudget

Reaction score
"How would you go about dropping one into the other"
I'd use an engine hoist. It really saves wear and tear on your back.......... Sorry I'm bored at work and couldn't resist. lol

Greg55_99

Reaction score
"How would you go about dropping one into the other"
I'd use an engine hoist. It really saves wear and tear on your back.......... Sorry I'm bored at work and couldn't resist. lol

And I have GREAT respect for your screen name sir! :)

Greg

joeblo

Reaction score
Just set it in. There are many issues that will need addressed, just take them one at a time. First would be to check clearances all around expecially the exhaust. Then if all clears make some motor and tranny mounts. You will probablly need to use some creative engineering for lingage, wiring, cooling system, fuel system, etc.. Just take it one thing at a time. It can be done if you want to bad enough. Have fun.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Just set it in. There are many issues that will need addressed, just take them one at a time. First would be to check clearances all around expecially the exhaust. Then if all clears make some motor and tranny mounts. You will probablly need to use some creative engineering for lingage, wiring, cooling system, fuel system, etc.. Just take it one thing at a time. It can be done if you want to bad enough. Have fun.

I like this for an " intro " . Make sure you understand that most of these cars have an " offset " engine mounting system that's been used for years . make sure you can bolt the tranny to the cross member . Make sure you have adequate clearance for the oil pan too !

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I was thinking an AMC 904/727 Torqueflite could be hooked up to the 4.0 and bolted to the stock trans mount and linkage in the F-body. Halfway home.... Yes?

Greg

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I was thinking an AMC 904/727 Torqueflite could be hooked up to the 4.0 and bolted to the stock trans mount and linkage in the F-body. Halfway home.... Yes?

Greg

Maybe yes / maybe no ! I have no idea what tranny they used . I have no idea what ring gear ,or flex plate they used , or what bolt the flange to crank is . Could a dozen of 1 , or half a dozen of the other .

Ollywood

Reaction score
4.0 L is a great motor and just soo much better then the old 258. I'd be looking to put into a small body AMC like the Rambler, Gremlin, Hornet, Spirit and AMX that came with a 258 or even a CJ depending on your tastes.

Have you considered swapping in a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum? Much easier of a bolt in then the 4.0. You can gain the benefits of increase in HP, better flowing heads, Roller Cam, EFI and OD.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Definitely...
Boneyard 360. Priced one up in T.O.
$800 tranny included.
Find a Dak and your in business.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Well, sell the 4.0 on Craigslist...tell 'em they can hear it run. Then take the money and get what will "Slip right in" to your car. I've pulled this stunt before...

ramenth

Reaction score
My biggest question is: will it fit? There's a reason Chrysler made the six lean over: long stroke engine that would work in the cars. What's the total height of a 4.0L? How much clearance is there from the K to the hood in an FMJ? If it's too tall there'd be ways around it: no hood or maybe a one off cowl scoop for clearance, but I think that first basic question would be the one I'd ask.

valianator

Reaction score
I've thought about this myself.
One ought to be able to use AMC pattern "TorqueComand" (AMC's name for the T-flite) 904. You'd have to cut a hole for the crank sensor just like bolting a Magnum V8 to an older LA904- that ought to be pretty straight forward.
Motor mounts would call for some good welding and fab skills, but again pretty straight forward. Mock up the engine in the right location (scrap wood, etc.), make cardboard templates of your new mount brackets, cut 'em out of steel and weld 'em to the K.
Wiring would be just like any other swap of an EFI motor into an older vehicle. Get everything you can from the donor. Jeep guys like to swap the four-oh into older Jeeps,so there's prolly some aftermarket goodies out there too.

What I'm wondering 'bout, though- What's the oil pan situation on these engines? Every Jeep 4.0 I've seen has a rear sump pan. Do car oil pans (and pickup tubes) from AMC 232's and 258's have a center sump pan like Mopar pass. car pans? And do they fit the 4.0?

Last edited:

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
another first thing to do is measure the height of the 4.0 and compare that to the teen in there already . Make sure you have enough hood clearance .

Dago Red

Reaction score
Definately take the Jeep. The off-road/rock crawler gang will want stuff off it. Then you'll have seed money to fix the F-M-J.

Ollywood

Reaction score
I've thought about this myself.

What I'm wondering 'bout, though- What's the oil pan situation on these engines? Every Jeep 4.0 I've seen has a rear sump pan. Do car oil pans (and pickup tubes) from AMC 232's and 258's have a center sump pan like Mopar pass. car pans? And do they fit the 4.0?

258 oil pan will fit a 4.0

Back