Ignition woes....

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
So the Fury is dead. Cannot understand the reasoning. Here's the story.

Went to start the Fury Monday morning and no go. Figured I flooded it out pumping too much as I could smell fuel very strongly. I'm somewhat inexperienced with carbs as I've only owned 4 cars (out of 30 or so) with them one installed. I was in a hurry so I took old reliable my 98 Volvo to work.

Fast forward to after work. Cranked and cranked but no start. Had one weak cough. Checked for spark, none. Don't have a test light or meter handy so I bought an ignition coil and distributor pickup. Installed Distributor pickup, no spark, installed ignition coil, good hot spark at coil and weak at plugs. still no start.

My questions are, if the gap is not set properly on the distributor pickup (too close) will the spark be weak or is it just a triggering mechanism? and if it doesn't make it weak, cap and rotor? or what next?

I will be replacing cap rotor wires and plugs regardless because after seeing the condition of them last night i was surprised it even ran. Corrosion a good conductor does not make.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I just don't fully understand the older systems like I should.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If your cap and rotor are crusty that could be an issue right there. Not sure how your wires and plugs are either. I'd start with those myself. How was it running before that?

For reference the start pickup should be .006" from the reluctor tooth which should be pointed to the pickup coil.

Run pickup should be .008"

This is the procedure for both.

20151105_172442-1.jpg

20151105_172442-1.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I copied this from another post.
But as far as tune-ups go this is my recipe.
My 318 in my Fifth runs like a dream now.

No vacuum leaks (carb included)
A full tune up with good stuff. I use Mopar wires. On a budget the high end Napa ones are pretty good too. I've been using NGK ZFR 5N plugs. They seem to be really good with these 318's. But that's me. Good cap and rotor. Again Napa seems good. New fuel and air filter and last but also my most important thing. Ethanol free premium. The difference it makes far outweighs the price difference for me.

Joe12459

Reaction score
If you have strong spark at the coil, the pickup is probably fine. The spark is not making it from the coil to the plugs. It could be the coil wire to the distributor cap, or the cap and rotor. If it was my car, I'd replace the cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you have strong spark at the coil, the pickup is probably fine. The spark is not making it from the coil to the plugs. It could be the coil wire to the distributor cap, or the cap and rotor. If it was my car, I'd replace the cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

X2.......

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Change to a Summit Racing ignition system and hide it in your glove box.

For a daily?
Why?
Been running my LB without a hitch for six years since I got the Fifth. I can see that for performance but there's no real need for a bone stock daily driver IMO.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
For a daily?
Why?
Been running my LB without a hitch for six years since I got the Fifth. I can see that for performance but there's no real need for a bone stock daily driver IMO.

Gentlemen, I read your entire ignition arguement on another thread. I'm not changing anything from stock.

Cap, I've got the gap set at .010 which is the recommended for single pickup. It ran fine the night before but when I went to start it the next morning I gave it the usual procedure and it wouldn't hit. Gave it more gas and it wouldn't hit. Figured I flooded it out. Came back after work and no spark. Changed the coil and pickup. Tonight changed the cap rotor plugs and wires. All vacuum lines 100% new soft and pliable. I need a second set of hands to check for spark again. I didn't have it earlier. I'll update when I can.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
I don't know if I have spark yet. Long story short, the battery is dead and I'm beyond frustrated.

I'm not mad at the car because it's 30 years old and has barely been driven in the last 10 years. I'm upset because everything I've tried leads back to a new control box. I don't have $250 more to throw at this thing. I'm going to clean and replace all of the grounds, check all connections, and make sure the air cleaner is hooked up properly. If I cannot get a spark after playing with it for a couple of more days I'm selling it. I don't want to. I don't want to at all. I've wanted an M for 10 years or longer and I finally found one to buy, but what I need is a second car. I need a way to work everyday. I can't throw money at this thing too much longer before I just have to stop.

Just pray it doesn't come to that.

Updates tomorrow. I'm bringing in reinforcements, namely my dad who is the MAN at working on carbasarus wrecks.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
If it's sparking at the coil , that doesn't sound like control box to me. Spark was going into the distributor, it just was barely getting back out.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
Cap, I've lost spark at the coil and the gas is 93 octane and a week old. Also won't fire with ether.

The part I can't figure out is that I had spark and now I dont. This has to be electrical. Also the new pickup that I bought had shoddy construction so I ordered a replacement. We will see how that works out.

Sorry for being whiny last night. I was a little upset.

Updates tonight. Thanks guys

super-p

Reaction score
no spark

I don't know if I have spark yet. Long story short, the battery is dead and I'm beyond frustrated.

I'm not mad at the car because it's 30 years old and has barely been driven in the last 10 years. I'm upset because everything I've tried leads back to a new control box. I don't have $250 more to throw at this thing. I'm going to clean and replace all of the grounds, check all connections, and make sure the air cleaner is hooked up properly. If I cannot get a spark after playing with it for a couple of more days I'm selling it. I don't want to. I don't want to at all. I've wanted an M for 10 years or longer and I finally found one to buy, but what I need is a second car. I need a way to work everyday. I can't throw money at this thing too much longer before I just have to stop.

Just pray it doesn't come to that.

Updates tomorrow. I'm bringing in reinforcements, namely my dad who is the MAN at working on carbasarus wrecks.

I have some spark boxes let me know what year

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Running one in my Aspen Ed.

I know Eric.
I was just trying to keep it low to no buck as far as solutions go.
The OP sounds like he's tight for cash. And ultimately the LB setup should work fine as long as the computer didn't die. When my computer gives it up I'll do the swap myself but till then it works fine. With those computers they basically work till they die. That's when I'd do the swap personally. It may well be that his packed it in but if I was light on coin I'd troubleshoot. Then if I knew it was dead I'd go the other route. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Back