I'm sad..............

Aspen500

Reaction score
We got 2 1/2" of rain last night and with all the snow and ice, there's no place for the water to go. Was going out to the garage this morning before work when it was till dark, and didn't turn the lights on so I didn't see that the water was almost ankle deep. Oh crap. The storm door on the garage made a wake when I opened it and I got a really bad feeling. Once inside, well, what are you going to do? What's done is done.
Came home early from work today and chiseled, chopped and dug a channel for the water to go through in the only place it was possible, right next to the garage door. Used a squeegee and pushed water out for seemingly forever until it was low enough. When i opened the garage door, big rush of water going out. Squeegeed as much as possible with everything in there and have a big fan running full out right now. Just glad it was clear, clean water and I guess the only good thing is, the floor is cleaner now.

I still need to move all the stuff along the walls as best I can (again, with the cars in there) and dry those areas yet. Most stuff is fine with a little water but cardboard boxes sitting in water is called a sponge. Being a garage, the floor is sloped toward the door (door end is 4" lower than the front wall) so the water only made it a certain distance. Good thing about that is, all the expensive stuff is at the back of the garage (not counting the cars that is). Phew!

Planning on going to Menard's once the evening rush eases a bit and see about getting a pump to put in the driveway. Next question is, do they have any left in stock now. There is a drain for the driveway but it's under who knows how much ice and the pipe is probably ice one end to the other, not to mention where it exits is most likely 6" of ice also. In other words, it's not going to be any help for a while yet. I tried to keep it open this winter but lost the battle a back in February.:(

P.S. Those moving blankets laying on the floor weigh about 500 pounds when saturated with water.:eek:
DSC00243.JPG
DSC00244.JPG
DSC00245.JPG
DSC00246.JPG

DCAspen

Reaction score
I had that happen to me at my parents house about 30 years ago,Except the water came thru a crack in the foundation and flooded the basement with about 5 inches of water,I'll never forget that pain in the ass cleanup that was.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've known it was coming, the snow cover dropped two and a half feet in the last two days with the rain.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Water is a constant concern for me. All of the rain rolls down the hill toward the house. I have been out many times pumping it away from the house at 10:30 at night. :)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Managed to get the garage about 95% dried out now. The path I chopped and dug off next to the garage is working. The water is running through it and the level is staying a hair below the garage floor level. This summer, that 2" drain pipe is coming out and getting replaced with a 6". Hopefully that will be easier to keep from freezing solid with ice. Should help in the summer too, leaves and assorted debris that lands on the driveway won't keep clogging it.
Actually, the garage was supposed to be built (had it built in 1998) the same level as the house but it's lower, even though they brought in a bunch of fill, just not enough. Before I realized something was off, the concrete had already been poured so,,,,,,,,,work with it. Yeah, I could have been a prick and made the contractor tear it out and raise the level another 3 feet or so but, I think it was an honest mistake on their part so, why cause trouble? Other than that, they did a darn good job though.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Good you got it taken care of, id not let it bother me too much, it could of been much worse.

I recall the time I left a fuel line unplugged and it worked its way below tank level overnight and drained 14 gallon of gas onto my shop floor overnight, still shocked it didnt blow up the building.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It doesn't bother me TOO much other than the soggy boxes that now disintegrate the second you touch them. Got more water in last night but this time it looks to have leaked in under the service door threshold when it deluged rain again last evening. Contained to one corner of the garage though. Another project to add to the list, seal the threshold to the floor again.

Back