Imperial misconceptions

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
For sure....
The new shitboxes all have that melted nose that slopes down so you can't even see it....one of the things I love about my cars is looking out over the hood.
It's a beautiful thing.

I've seen your buddy's limo.
That thing is wild!
What a monster of a car...I'm jealous you get to drive it.

yup. I love being able to just look down the landing strip hood while cruising and just look at the hood ornament standing proud out front

and it definitely gets a lot of looks
I was cruising it earlier and looked in the side mirror and noticed a suburban in the lane next to me with the passenger holdin his phone up recording so I had to hit the switchs for em lol
kids also love seen it cruising by

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
yup. I love being able to just look down the landing strip hood while cruising and just look at the hood ornament standing proud out front

and it definitely gets a lot of looks
I was cruising it earlier and looked in the side mirror and noticed a suburban in the lane next to me with the passenger holdin his phone up reversing so I had to hit the switchs for em lol
kids also love seen it cruising by

You said it..
Looking down the hood on my Caravelle and seeing the Plymouth ornament standing proud on the hood....it's the best.
And the crystal Pentastar on the Fifth
Don't get any better.

CMX360

Reaction score
For some reason people always ask me if my CMX is a Lincoln. When I tell them its a Dodge Mirada they look at me like I have two heads. Then in the summer people ask me why the top isn't down...

My imp

Reaction score
The same with the Imp. They see the back & think it's a Cattleshac Seville, the front, & they think it's a Lincoln. If I weren't so fond of the Cartier crystals pasted all over the thing, I'd pull them off & mess with everyone. Put a Lincoln hood ornament & Cadillac badge on the deck lid. lol

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
The only car I could really be mistaking for a Lincoln is the 5th ave as they have very similar lines (probably why they're the only x- brand I really like)
And I can see how people mistake the imp for a cadderacs from the back

My imp

Reaction score
Lincoln-esque grille & hideaways like so many Lincoln's. All it needs is that Lincoln hood ornament instead of a pentastar. Speaking of which, i'd like to sandcast the hood ornament from my Imp a tad beefier so I could use an LED to illuminate the pentastar. Has anyone tried, or does anyone know someone who's done this?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Imperial's front grille and hidden headlights have a lot of resemblance to the Lincoln Mark III-Mark V two doors. Same general long hood, short trunk shape, too. Imperial is not saddles with an overly long hood though. Imperial looks leaner, more chiseled overall. Used to own a 1993 Mark 8. A truly great car to drive, when it was in good shape, it moved like a car half its weight and size, but had the ride of a really well sorted out big car.

I am going to keep an eye out for any 80s Imperial two doors that show up locally. I'm starting to take a real liking to them. Going to have to get rid of the fuel injection, though, if it still has it.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
I wanted one from the day they came out. The styling still stands up today. The bustle back look of the '40's, timeless verticle chrome grille, opera lights (that are actually lights), muslecar long hood/short deck, elegent road wheels, or wire whl. covers (that should've been tru-spokes), plus many other styling cues that will stand the test of time. As the Imp has always been labeled the bankers hot rod, I find myself in a quandary. I have so many versions swimming in my head as to how I'd like to do the car. I can't do just one. One is my daily driver, the other will be Frankenfurters monster. Mirada fenders, t-tops, sub-frame connectors & torque boxes, big block stick shift (5-6 speed), side pipes, possible deck spoiler, heated seats, & 1000 other mod.'s that I have swimming around in that fertile imagination of mine. Two problems; no garage, & champagne tastes on a beer pocket book. Make that three problems; shaky multiple surgeries repaired back. Other than that, it's biscuits & gravy brothers.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Lincoln-esque grille & hideaways like so many Lincoln's. All it needs is that Lincoln hood ornament instead of a pentastar. Speaking of which, i'd like to sandcast the hood ornament from my Imp a tad beefier so I could use an LED to illuminate the pentastar. Has anyone tried, or does anyone know someone who's done this?

That's an awesome idea! Dunno why I never thought about it, but I may have to try this for my 5th ave

My imp

Reaction score
It would seem a simple task, but I've never seen it. There's everybody's Christmas project for the Mopar lover in your life. Get it to work & I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes. Which do you think would work better; the crystal, or the plastic? I know where I can get a used Cartier original used for $60. That's not exactly cheap or easy to come by to be cut up for an experiment. Anyone else have the Cartier hood ornament they'd part with? PM me. Thanks, Larry

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I think most 5th aves came with the crystal one.
I have one, and I know a member on here had one I can get off him, which I may need to now lol, I'm gonna have to go get the one I have otta storage and see what I could do

My imp

Reaction score
All the '81-83 originals were marked with the Cartier logo. That includes the opera windows, steering wheel, even the original ignition key sports the Cartier moniker! The originals were usually stolen. The common bred, short bus riding, mental midgets must not realize that crystal is only glass, not diamond, & when you pry on it, it breaks! Then, not only don't they have a basically valueless trinket, but they just F'd up your ride! I managed to get (1) used one off of my parts car, & another came with the car,& I managed to get that one off the broken opera light & install it on my car. Use a heat gun before you persuade it off. Also, the ones in the steering wheel are a different size than the ones in the opera lights! Ask me how I know! I'd love to illuminate that one as well! I'm going to use the sport wheel from my '88 LeBaron convertible. It's the same as the one used on the Dakota's in '88. It has an embossed pentastar in the steering wheel/horn button cover that I'm going to try to illuminate. It's close to the size of the hood ornament. I don't know if there's enough room for a power ring in the column though.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I personally haven't seen a 81-83 up close so I never knew, but that is cool!
Got a pic of one, if really like to see it now

My imp

Reaction score
My bad. Only the '81's had the Cartier crystal hood ornament. The replacements, & the '82-83's were lucite. An "expert" worked on my computer & it won't recognize my printer, scanner, camera, & half of windows. If he ever gets it fixed, I'll post pic's. Mine has the replacement lucite one. Like I said, I can get a used one for $60. The coolest one is on the '79 New Yorker from what I've read. But it's IMPOSSIBLE to find. One year only, & not on base model,

Back