Imperial woes

banger68

Reaction score
Still keeping a lookout for an Imperial for a project idea. I found a 83 that has original paint, 80K, no rust in the floor, some surface rust on the body, but no holes, has the original fuel injection still, and real good leather seats. It has been sitting in a garage since the early 2000's.

Problems:
Even though it isn't rusty underneath there is a hole on the subframe about the size of a quarter. Not sure how that would happen. Anybody patch up a small hole like that?

The car stopped running a couple months ago ... FI problems.

paint is shot ... little surface rust spots all over. Not a big deal as I was planning on blacking out the car.

What do you think folks. I can get it fairly cheap, probably less then $1500.

Davesmopar

Reaction score
Have you had a chance to jack it up check the bushings and ball joints and tie rod ends, breaks Exedra exedra? Remember to think of it because of the fuel injection issue, the transmission may or may not be worth anything, so you have to make sure it's in your budget to rebuild transmission or have it rebuilt just in case. If you can Do all the work yourself too much better deal if you have to open a checkbook up maybe not so much cuz it could definitely snowball on you. It all comes down to if you like the car and you're okay with spending more money on it than it's worth....

and I'm sure there's a lot more parts that could go bad then I'm not thinking of....

Sorry, not trying to be a negative I'm just a realistic..... lol

banger68

Reaction score
Mechanical wear problems don't really bother me too much, those are relatively easy to deal with. Structure problems or parts I cannot get worry me. But you are correct I can use them to influence the price.

Just seemed very odd that the floor was pretty well perfect but had the hole in the subframe. I guess something just happened to be sitting in that area during all the years of storage.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I'd lowball this one because who is he going to sell it to if it's not you, offer $500 and give him your name and number before you walk away.

Davesmopar

Reaction score
As far as the subframe goes, could have ran over something years ago that knocked the hole in it, or some shop / mechanic could have put the hole there for some other reason we don't know, then it could be just sure luck, then it just rusted through over time LOL

glennb49

Reaction score
Is the hole a clean punch out or is it a rust out? I wouldn't let it stop me from buying it though! If you are removing the fuel injection I'm interested in taking it off your hands. Mine is still injected and I need extras! That is a good price for a car that sounds to be nice!

Aspen500

Reaction score
If the hole is in the driver side subframe near the cowl, it probably just rusted through. Very common problem, even on cars without much other rust.

Back