Impulse Buy

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Couldn't help myself again. Anybody want to tell me what I got?

2017-02-20 10.56.02.jpg

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
So I'm told the 9th character 3 is non-designated. But the ADA means something special. Maybe this pic helps?

20170219_114733(0).jpg

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Beats me. I can't read em after '80. Maybe he said the APA? All I know is this thing has some stock appearing Heavy Duty suspension under it. Seven Leaves with big brakes, and a 1-5/16" front sway bar.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Ice Blue Met. Blue corduroy cloth Salon guts. Manual windows. No vinyl top moulding. I thought that was odd. I've seen it on many others that had painted roofs. Looks like something Dabney Colman would rock. And the price was right.

2017-02-18 15.47.28.jpg

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Oh, and in addition to what my friend said is a HD Taxi suspension package, everything else underneath looks like a brand new car. Still wonder what that 9th vin character "3" is supposed to mean? He said 1-6 mean something, but 3 was blank. No description. Undesignated.

2017-02-18 15.48.11.jpg

20170218_131746.jpg

Joe12459

Reaction score
That certainly looks like the taxi suspension. Maybe a dealer installed option that never made it onto the fender tag (option AHA).
The ninth digit is the check digit. It is a value used by DOT, DMV, etc. to validate a VIN.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Still pissed..lol

You should get it tagged and bring it down here..well cruise over there and show off. I got my car like 15 minutes from where you picked that one up.

And yes, I will continue to give you crap for not stopping by saturday..lol

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I checked with Farley's and it seems my friend confused the series code which doesn't have a 3, for the check digit. Looking for post '80 broadcast sheet decoding to read the tag, all I found was a link to allpar, which apparently only works if you're a member of allpar. I guess nobody else is allowed to know what they should freely know without registering to a source.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I'm sorry I couldn't stop by Brian. Really am. But was afraid that I'd be late getting back. I don't think it's going to be as easy as registering this car tho. He said it needs a trans front seal. Who doesn't replace that? Well, looking at other things, I see more ??? So since the engine has to come out anyway, it'll get a new front harness and a teener dropped in place. At least until I go completely thru the 360. But after that, if I like it it'll probably go in the Sport Wagon along with the one ton springs and Reese hitch.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A nice looking car!

'88 Diplomat, Economy trim, with a standard duty (or base level) 318 2-bbl (ELA) and normal shifting automatic (DGA). 2.2 ratio 7-1/4" rear differential - unless changed already.
It does appear to have 10" drum brakes.
Not a lot of options, per data plate.

20170219_114733 a.jpg
20170219_114733 b.jpg
The Iso-clamp has been modified (sorta) to fit the three additional leaf springs (original 4 leaf springs) - but, not in a good way.
The metal indicated by the white arrows - should be touching. If not, then the lower clamp (black X) is known to fail as indicated by the red ovals. If (or when) that happens, the tire will be touching the inner wheel liner and leaf spring may make contact with the road.

Someone added those three additional leafs after car was made.
picture does show it to have a 7-1/4" differential.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
A nice looking car!

'88 Diplomat, Economy trim, with a standard duty (or base level) 318 2-bbl (ELA) and normal shifting automatic (DGA). 2.2 ratio 7-1/4" rear differential - unless changed already.
It does appear to have 10" drum brakes.
Not a lot of options, per data plate.
Someone added those three additional leafs after car was made.
picture does show it to have a 7-1/4" differential.

Thank You BudW! I didn't like the look of the doubled up leaves under the main or the gap in the iso-clamps. But I've no experience with what may or may not be correct to a late Diplomat. It was my understanding that they quit putting 8.25's in them. But what do I know? Yes, it's pretty bare and that's part of the attraction.

Back