Incorrect Speedometer

shadango

Reaction score
Ok, I have the speedo gear out this morning....it's yellowish tan colored and it has 30 teeth.....and it is the plastic style.

The big oring is orange so it looks like someone changed that out from the original black one at some point.

shadango

Reaction score
In case these pics helps anybody now or in the future:

This is with the lockdown bolt and bracket taken off already....note the "26-31" and how it orients with a small dot on the trans case. The bracket arms fit into the slots when installed correctly.

20170423_072901_zpsse5m6vbz.gif

Note TWO clips on the setup ---one holds the gear on and the other holds the cable to the housing.

20170423_074527_zpsgahrbmob.gif

In the daylight this gear looked more tannish yellow than bright yellow to my old eyes....but oin the picture, clearly yellow.
20170423_074256_zpssvdzhnmq.gif

Rifleshooter

Reaction score
Anyone here have a 28 tooth speedometer gear for an a230 manual trans? I have the plastic housing if that makes any difference

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
So what model speedo cable would one use if switching from the plastic to metal housing?
Pretty much all vehicles, except for Jeeps and Vans, used the same speedometer cables, from 1968 to whenever they quit using speedometer cables. I say Jeeps – honestly, I don’t know enough about jeeps to know if speedometer cables fit or not.

Now with the above comment made, there are two different groups of cables.
Those with and without cruise control.

The upper cable with cruise control are the same for all rear wheel drive cars ’68 to ’89 and pickups.
The lower cable with cruise are the same (same year span as above) except for the break point of metal vs. plastic gears.
For cars without cruise, all cars ’68 to ‘89 rear wheel drive cars and pickups, again with the same break point of metal vs. plastic gears (no pickups used plastic housings).

Pioneer is (or was) still making speedometer cables new and are reasonably priced.
Their part numbers are:
Metal housing:
Without Cruise CA-3014 (80”)
With Cruise, lower CA-3002 (63”)
With Cruise, Upper CA-3025

Plastic housing:
Without Cruise CA-3030 (80”)
With Cruise, lower CA-3024 (63”)
With Cruise, Upper CA-3025 (same as above)

Anyone here have a 28 tooth speedometer gear for an a230 manual trans? I have the plastic housing if that makes any difference
I have a 28 tooth older style and a 28 tooth newer style gear. Send me a PM if still looking for one.

The 30 tooth gear should be yellow, but I have seen some that are not quite yellow (somewhat close).
Color is helpful – but the number stamped on edge of gear is what is important.
I have seen gears in colors that are different than what parts books show. I guess it depends on what plastic they had on hand that day, to cast gears out of - but 99+% of the time, they are correct (a guess on the exact percentage).

The transmission type does not matter, from ’66 to mid ‘90’s (pickups) except for ones with transfer cases (4*4’s) for they use a different style gear.
The only difference is if you have metal housing gear or plastic housing gear.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
76 77 volare aspen use a special cable end at the speedo head. it is different from the clip on type.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
100_0486.JPG

Picture is from F_body_Deconstructor_Jim.

Of the '80's I've worked on, yours should be the Left Lower version (the by far, more common version).

Remove the knee booster (trim under steering column) and either craw under dash and look up with flashlight or bet a mirror and flashlight and you should be able to tell which one you have.

The Left Lower version will work in all cases (as long as spring clip is removed, via small screw). The Right Upper version will work if you have the spring clip in place (or some method of it staying it in place.

Some pickups and vans (and a few other car lines) had the spring clip version on and off through the years – as if Chrysler keep getting competing bids from cable suppliers (I guess, but not sure).

My opinion – six one way, ½ dozen the other way.
One is not better than the other – but the Left Lower version is more common and works either way (with a removal of small screw and spring clip).
BudW

Back