Introducing New Member: Intrepolicious

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I run one of these, but it's overkill for a stock engine.
Screenshot_20170223-132729.png

4speedjim

Reaction score
If your going to spend money on the 318, on the timing chain & gears, maybe adding a cam shaft should be in your plans. Ma Mopar never gave us enough cam for our restrictive heads. Also, the water pump bolts will be seized in the block. Make sure you have the room to drill and retap the block. They totally suck to drill out in the car. If you think you may want more, a 5.2 (318)or 5.9(360) Magnum swap will drop right in and they have nearly 100 more HP/Tq stock than your 318 does stock. 245ish hp vs 145ish. And Id guess a good used junkyard motor wouldn't be any more than a cam, timing chain, gear & lifter pkg is for your 318. You can drive on the 318 while you gather up parts and do any mods or updating, not that you'd need any, before you pull the 'teen for the swap. The Magnums have much better heads and higher compression and roller cam and lifters stock which allows more power to be made. You could swap Magnum heads onto the 318 but I still think a good used magnum would be the cheapest, quickest and easiest way to make more power totally stock. Magnums where only used in trucks, so they make great torque. I have 3 - 5.9's in my yard. One is in a 2000 maxiwagon with 310k Mi, A '99 with 197k and a 95 with 132k. They dont wear out, even the one with 300,000 Mi. It never had wrench on it. The only things you would need is an intake, carb and 360 car oil pan. They are different than the 318 oil pan. Good luck whatever you decide to do and welcome! Theres a great bunch of guys here that will give the shirt off there back. Just ask and they will deliver.

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
If your going to spend money on the 318, on the timing chain & gears, maybe adding a cam shaft should be in your plans. Ma Mopar never gave us enough cam for our restrictive heads. Also, the water pump bolts will be seized in the block. Make sure you have the room to drill and retap the block. They totally suck to drill out in the car. If you think you may want more, a 5.2 (318)or 5.9(360) Magnum swap will drop right in and they have nearly 100 more HP/Tq stock than your 318 does stock. 245ish hp vs 145ish. And Id guess a good used junkyard motor wouldn't be any more than a cam, timing chain, gear & lifter pkg is for your 318. You can drive on the 318 while you gather up parts and do any mods or updating, not that you'd need any, before you pull the 'teen for the swap. The Magnums have much better heads and higher compression and roller cam and lifters stock which allows more power to be made. You could swap Magnum heads onto the 318 but I still think a good used magnum would be the cheapest, quickest and easiest way to make more power totally stock. Magnums where only used in trucks, so they make great torque. I have 3 - 5.9's in my yard. One is in a 2000 maxiwagon with 310k Mi, A '99 with 197k and a 95 with 132k. They dont wear out, even the one with 300,000 Mi. It never had wrench on it. The only things you would need is an intake, carb and 360 car oil pan. They are different than the 318 oil pan. Good luck whatever you decide to do and welcome! Theres a great bunch of guys here that will give the shirt off there back. Just ask and they will deliver.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response, and the great tips! As for the current stock 318 that's in it, the water pump was done just before I bought it; so no worries there. I like your idea of finding a 5.9 to build up rather than putting all my money into this 318. I might get just do the timing gear upgrade on it (so it doesn't leave me stranded) and leave the rest alone. Then I can take my time and build a better engine for it, with no down time. That's an excellent idea!
Thanks again for the great post!

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
Oh crap, I'm going to have to put a transmission in this car. It's been fine until this morning I was backing into my parking space, and it started shuddering... forward is fine, but reverse is not good. Not good at all...
what kind of tranny options do I have with this car? Anything I can put in it for the time being?

UPDATE:
Well, the transmission went completely out on me while leaving work today. I guess the guy that sold it to me must have has some Lucas additive or something in there, where it wouldn't slip for a few days... either that, or sheer coincidence that the tranny just completely died in all gears. I had it towed the rest of the way home (luckily I know a guy with a flatbed)..

So now I'm on the hunt for a transmission. I'll go start a new thread in the J body section tonight. Any help with knowing which trannys out of which cars will fit and bolt up would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
Updates:

I had the transmission professionally rebuilt at a reputable local transmission specialty shop. It took them a few days to get it done; complete rebuild including all new bands, clutch packs, new pump, seals, reman TC, etc etc. I've had it back for a little over a week now and it's shifting great!

I brought the Cordoba back to the trans shop yesterday for my 7-10 day re-check. They gave her a test drive and checked everything out and signed off on my newly rebuilt transmission's 2 year/24K mile warranty!

Removed the trailer hitch receiver from the car. Evidently, the original owner pulled a big ass boat or travel home with this car... and was what took it's toll on the transmission obviously. Rebuilt trans - no more trailer hitch!

Also, new battery purchased the other day when I discovered the one that was in it wasn't the correct battery for this car. There were two options for these models (a #24 and #27 IIRC) I chose the #27 Heavy Duty option.

I had that fuel delivery issue the other day as well. Turns out it just must have been some trash, or moisture in the gas... after coughing it all up, she's been running like a champ for the last 4-5 days. I do still want to replace the fuel filter and pump eventually.

Also still on my to-do list is upgrading the nylon timing gears to a new set of steel sprockets and a new chain. I reckon I'll go with the standard double roller design.

All in all, I've been loving Charlene! I totally love the cushy ride and the looks I get! I swear, everywhere I go, at least someone asks me about it. I'm sure I'll run into little things here and there that I'll need to fix. It is a 37 year old car, but it's mine, and it's paid for! Even if I had to fix something on it every month, it still wouldn't be as much as a new car payment. Plus, I enjoy working on her! Everything's so easy and simple, with plenty of room in the engine bay to get to everything.

I'm looking forward to all the little things Charlene will have me fix. I'm super glad to have you guys here, and my buddies over at my dodgeintrepid.net forums are all really knowledgeable and helpful as well. These forums are a tremendous, indispensable resource that I'm very happy to be a part of!

Back