later model 904 OD trans

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know if the later model 904 trans with the OD will fit into a J body Cordoba or is there extensive tunnel modifications to do?

Thanks
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Transmission cross member needs to be made deeper and moved back. You will need to have your driveshaft shortened (transmission is physically larger all around, and longer). Transmission tunnel needs to be bashed around for clearance. Then you will need a kit to give you control over the lockup convertor and O/D. If you are seriously thinking about this, then you may as well go all the way and get the O/D based on the A727, which is called the A518 or the 46RH (not the 46RE). Only thing with that one is that you should probably think of dropping the rear end gear some (something like a 3.23:1 or a 3.55:1, also a great opportunity to put in a Sure-Grip unit). The O/D A904 (called the A500 or 42RH) is harder to find, and has the same torque handling limitations as the A904. If you are leaving the engine stock, I suppose that point is moot, but there are a lot fewer A500s/42RHs than A518s/46RHs. O/D ratio is the same (.69).

Kostas

P.S. You can get the kit that handles the torque converter lock up and the O/D from PATC.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
My truck has the 518 tranny and 391 sure grip. That is a great combination. The little 318 can smoke the tires and run low rpms at highway speeds.

randymatt

Reaction score
904 and 727 are pretty much the same im puting a 46rh in my mirada with a 8 3/4 diff . did u do the swap? and how bad do u have to hack up floor and crossmeber?

Aspen500

Reaction score
If money was no object.............Yeah, it's actually a GM trans (4L60E/4L65E) with a Mopar bell pattern but they're pretty darn reliable transmissions (I'm an auto technician and change very, very few of them with under 250,000 miles). As I said, IF money was no object. If it wasn't, I'd have the big block version in my Aspen in second. Unfortunately,,,,,,,money definitely IS and object:sad11:

No kit specifically for an F/M/J but we're used to that.

http://shiftsst.com/dart-valiant-barracuda-duster-demon-1964-1976#kit-components

Back