Like A Good Friend

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I consider myself very lucky to have an M body as my daily driver. Some people like the supposed comfort and convenience of new cars....bluetooth, mp3 player, heated seats...etc. To me they just seem like plastic "vehicles"......not "cars". I feel nothing when I get into a new car....no pride, no emotion, nothing.
When I get into my Fifth every morning I get the feeling....as tacky as it may sound.....that I'm with my old friend. As soon as I sit in the drivers seat and see that dash.....look out over the hood and see that Pentastar hood ornament it makes the idea of going to work so much easier. I fire up that die hard smogger 318 and I automatically get reminded that I'm not driving an androgynous cookie cutter lunchbox on wheels with a hamster engine I can barely hear. No Sir.....what I'm driving is "special". An elegant time piece from a time when cars were cars and not "vehicles". I've been driving my Fifth daily now for at least three or four years. Spring, summer, fall and the absolute hell that can be Canadian winters. Not once has this car ever let me down. It faithfully and dutifully does it's job everyday with out a single complaint. On mornings where it's pounding rain or freezing cold or whatever the weather is doing. I head out into the elements to make my way to my trusty steed. Cursing under my breath at the skin peeling wind I get to the door, open it up and get inside. As soon as I close the door....the wind stops and I immediately feel like I'm (for lack of a better way to put it) home. I'm with my good friend, faithful, loyal and ready to make my day a little better. So I head out on the road to work. It could be an okay day or it could be a hell day......but either way I know that for that brief period I spend everyday getting there.....that time will be great. Tunes on......that lazy boy style drivers seat....that low subtle rumble of my 318.....and that beautiful old school suspension just floating along....and of course pulling up to the lights surrounded by "vehicles" that can only be told apart by their badges. And everyone at those lights pretending that they don't see this gorgeous example of Chrysler history idling that sweet music of a cast iron V8 sitting beside them.
Truly like an good friend....and I feel damn lucky to have that friend. The beautiful part is....when the good weather hits...my two other good friends come out too....
I love all of my cars.....but an honorable mention has to go to that never let me down faithful Fifth. I've clocked a whole lot of miles on that car with many more to come.

Every click has been an absolute joy. So to my trusty old friend I say
Thank You.

My imp

Reaction score
X2. I look forward to driving my imp like no other car I've ever owned. I've owned newer, faster, cars, but none with that certain ambiance that no car has ever delivered. I once had a boss describe a vehicle by saying, that if he could screw it, he would. I'm not saying I'm that close to the car, but it is, as you say, just like seeing an old friend. Unfortunately I live in the rust belt, & can't enjoy it everyday. But it actually relaxes me to get into that sumptuous leather seat, set the temp, turn on the tunes, pop the shifter into gear, & just let my troubles melt away. This car could NEVER be simple point A to point B transportation. BTW, I got heated seat kits for Christmas this year, & when I get to it, I'll be installing those puppies ASAP. I love those things! I've said many times how I feel about these cars. Everyone that's ridden init has become a believer. The only ones that say anything are the image conscious, immediate gratification generation, who if it isn't a Lexus, Mercedes, etc..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You gotta love it.....
2012-11-03 19.21.29.jpg

2012-11-03 19.21.29.jpg

My imp

Reaction score

I got the emblem apart. I may have room (with a little clearancing) to fit grain of wheat bulbs between the lens & frame. There is no way to drill the stem for wiring, so I'll probably use shrink wrap & pass the wires through the mounting hole on the grille. I'll wire it into the parking light circuit if all goes well. Will try to get pic.'s if I succeed. Wish me luck!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I got the emblem apart. I may have room (with a little clearancing) to fit grain of wheat bulbs between the lens & frame. There is no way to drill the stem for wiring, so I'll probably use shrink wrap & pass the wires through the mounting hole on the grille. I'll wire it into the parking light circuit if all goes well. Will try to get pic.'s if I succeed. Wish me luck!

Good luck!
I want to see that.....would be very cool!!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
They're saying were actually heading into the plus side of the thermometer for the foreseeable future....so we might be finally seeing the end of this brutal relentless winter.
That being said....I've gotta hand it to my faithful Fifth.
Through the arctic hell that has been this season....once again this car has never let me down. Even on those -25° mornings when everyone else was a no go she fired up and got me to work.
And on top of that gave me that plushy interior to relax in while getting me there.....it's 12°F out right now....one of the last cold blasts of winter....I hope.
And what's going to make it better is my loyal friend getting me to work once again.....what a great car.....

alf44

Reaction score
we are to get freezing rain-snow tonight and last all day with temps around 40 above

alf44

Reaction score
fifth ,i leave the dak at home in case someone needs to go somewhere my room mate takes em

alf44

Reaction score
i got it free so why not try to kill it? but she dont die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just like a TIMEX,, keeps ticking

Back