Loud ticking after new plugs and wires

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
So I got a stupid good deal on some NOS plugs and wires and after I swapped them out I heard the loudest dang ticking I've ever heard from an engine. It eventually went away as the engine warmed up and I put my foot on the gas. Definitely sounded like it was top end somewhere. I couldn't narrow it down, couldn't feel it anywhere I poked on the engine.

Was I only running on 7 this whole time, didn't notice, and something came to life? Two plugs were wet on the threads.

Anybody ever have anything like this happen?

Definitely strange. I've never had anything like this happen.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Possible a chunk of carbon came loose while taking the plugs out, if the tick went away. It could get between the piston and chamber quench area.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Possible a chunk of carbon came loose while taking the plugs out, if the tick went away. It could get between the piston and chamber quench area.
With how dirty this engine is, this seems entirely plausible.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Wait until night, pop the hood and start it. Observe possible light show. You might have have spark going somewhere other than the plug. Don't futz around in it with it running until you do this. lol.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Was thinking the same thing. Arcing somewhere, possibly coil wire?

Maybe. All it takes is a pinhole in the wire or boot. Start with looking at in the pitch black and stay away from it otherwise. Getting zapped by this is not fun.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Had it running today while I worked on the headlights. No ticking at all. When I was looking for the tick I had my hand on every plug boot to make sure it wasn't a loose plug or something. I figure it would have slapped me pretty hard if it was arcing.

The old coil was arcing to bad wiring before i replaced it and fixed the wires. That was a noticeable ticking noise. This new noise was a very loud tick, like a bad lifter. Hasn't come back. It was just weird that it didn't do it before, I moved the car, shut it off, changed the plugs and wires, and then the noise started.

But I'll try it tonight in the dark and see what happens. Can't hurt. But I'm betting had crap fall down into the combustion chamber like Aspen500 said.

Voeltagear

Reaction score
My 1976 318 lets me know it's time to add oil with a very noticeable lifter tick that goes away quickly. I may or may not come back but when it happens it's a quart low.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
My 1976 318 lets me know it's time to add oil with a very noticeable lifter tick that goes away quickly. I may or may not come back but when it happens it's a quart low.
Also a possibility. I try to stick to the 3 month oil change interval and it's been 3 months.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Dipstick level can be deceiving on a warn out engine. Could get just enough gas in there to make it seem ok

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Dipstick level can be deceiving on a warn out engine. Could get just enough gas in there to make it seem ok

Not really. If there's that much gas in there its time to change the oil. Or just run it till it dies because that's excessively worn out.

Voeltagear

Reaction score
So I got a stupid good deal on some NOS plugs and wires and after I swapped them out I heard the loudest dang ticking I've ever heard from an engine. It eventually went away as the engine warmed up and I put my foot on the gas. Definitely sounded like it was top end somewhere. I couldn't narrow it down, couldn't feel it anywhere I poked on the engine.

Was I only running on 7 this whole time, didn't notice, and something came to life? Two plugs were wet on the threads.

Anybody ever have anything like this happen?

Definitely strange. I've never had anything like this happen.
I've seen a plug that had loose porcelain. Sounded like a rod knock.

Back