Love at first sight

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I have a small water leak in rear of car, which I believe to be the roof rack screw holes. It is not a big leak but it has been present for a while.
You could be surprised at what you might find if you ever remove the roof rack. This is a pic of one of the screw receptors (?) under the roof rack of the black '77 Volare parts wagon I stripped in Oklahoma. Looks like the factory made a mistake in location, and just rammed another hole in beside it. Hummm. Doesn't look water tight to me.
Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 061.jpg

77Aspyn360

Reaction score
That looks to be in great shape -- Don't know if you are looking for parts .... but I was just at Harry's in Hazelton -- There is a 79 Volare wagon in the yard !! It is listed as a 79 Chrysler Aspen. As I recall -- it was also a slant 6 -- and wasn't picked very hard as of yesterday.

Good luck with your car -- she's a beauty !!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
That looks to be in great shape -- Don't know if you are looking for parts .... but I was just at Harry's in Hazelton -- There is a 79 Volare wagon in the yard !! It is listed as a 79 Chrysler Aspen. As I recall -- it was also a slant 6 -- and wasn't picked very hard as of yesterday.

Good luck with your car -- she's a beauty !!
Thanks very much for the heads up 77Aspyn360!! I am still looking for a three spoke SE steering wheel for OY, and a few other parts. Do you know what color the interior of the wagon is? Was it possibly an SE or Premier? I know that yard, I've been there several times.

77Aspyn360

Reaction score
Interior was beige. Had the basic steering wheel - not the 3 spoke. Bench seats--- wood grain exterior. Front grill was good. As I recall, the dash was mostly still there. Radio and gauges. The vin is listed on their site - I don't recall if it was an SE or not. The car was a column automatic.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! The beige interior is lighter in color than the '76 - '78 darker tan (butterscotch) color, but it could work. I've wanted the three spoke wheel for a long time, but no luck. I have been thinking about just getting used to the standard wheel that I have, but also have thought about a "Tuff" wheel too. Not sure that it would look right with the plaid seats, even though it was an option that could have been ordered from the factory with the plaid SE interior. The two spoke standard power steering wheel never thrilled me, even though Mopar used it for years!

shadango

Reaction score
The new Dodge Challengers (all), and some other makes, have NO SPARE TIRE. Dodge only has a tire patch kit and some canned air. Some Mustangs come with an air compressor (only), and so forth.
When my wife bought her 2011 Stang I was shocked...no spare....an air pump and goo like has been said....We went out and bought a temp spare from a 2010 (I think it was).......

Those car companies do anything to save a buck and save on the gas mileage specs.... 'extra weight" and all that.

Although my 2012 Ram truck and 2016 Hyundai santa fe both have temp spares....

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
OY why don't you check into the Grant Tuff Wheel variations. I haven't personally, but a buddy sent pix showing they make the leather wraps in a variety of colors and even nice wood ring wheels. He got the wood to match the dash bezels and door panel inserts in his Premier interior wagon.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
OY why don't you check into the Grant Tuff Wheel variations. I haven't personally, but a buddy sent pix showing they make the leather wraps in a variety of colors and even nice wood ring wheels. He got the wood to match the dash bezels and door panel inserts in his Premier interior wagon.
Thanks for the suggestion RT. They do have a fairly nice variety of wheels. I like this one with the walnut rim (at $265, a bit pricey):

246.jpg

And this leather wrapped one is nice too, but doesn't have such great reviews ($304):

1004.jpg

Then, there is this "Tuff Wheel" repop - not sure what the rim is made from. Don't really want that foam stuff. ($155):

846.jpg

But, maybe this would be the perfect fit for OY! Lol. ($130):

740.jpg

What I would really prefer would be the original SE three spoke Mopar wheel, but, try and find one ($?):

volare interior 4.jpg

What I might do, is just simply keep the plain Jane original wheel that is already in OY. ($free):

attachment.jpg

I briefly thought about an older style mopar wheel:

1974PlymouthSatellite09.jpg

but, I don't like them much more than the standard two spoke power steering wheel, which I don't care for much at all:

carpet coupe.jpg

I know that the "Tuff Wheel" could have been ordered on any F in '78 as long as equipped with power steering. I would sort of like to stay with an original style, which is one reason that I'm not really interested in a wheel from another model or year Mopar. I'm sure something will suit sooner or later.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
OY..
your dilemma sounds exactly like me when I go shopping for shoes...lol
Lol! Well, you know, gotta get just the right look, whether its shoes or wheels or steering wheels! I'm really thinking about the wood rimmed Tuff wheel now, since Rattle Trap directed me towards the Grant Wheels. Expensive, but then there is nothing that is economical or practical about OY. It's my hobby and my toy, and it doesn't have to make sense or be practical. It sure hasn't up to this point!

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Any spoke blow is going to cost you a chunk of change and take forever to find. NOS over $350. I had this one listed as nearly perfect and working spokes for $200. Thankfully it didn't sell immediately because I've been working with a guy to buy a Super Coupe that needs it during the past couple months. Caramel SE 60/40, not buddy seat, with column shift! It's rough, but column shift SC's are very uncommon.

2017-03-15 10.23.13.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I kinda prefer the simple 3-spoke wheel on this car.
20160528_171142.jpg

That said, I had one of 3-spoke wheels you are looking for, on my ’77 Cordoba.

In ’84 or so, one cold winter night, the horn started to go off by itself. One of the horn pads m the foam broke down and was allowing contact. I was able to repair and reuse it, but that was when car was 7 years old (or so).

Personally, I think the car was upset at me and wanted inside . . .
BudW

lowbudget

Reaction score
My friend has a butterscotch Wagon in his salvage yard. Remind me in 3 weeks and I will go check on it. It was a 4 speed car as I was going to grad the column out of it for a floor shift conversion.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
My friend has a butterscotch Wagon in his salvage yard. Remind me in 3 weeks and I will go check on it. It was a 4 speed car as I was going to grad the column out of it for a floor shift conversion.
Thanks for the offer lowbudget! I will contact you in three weeks. I appreciate the offer.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I kinda prefer the simple 3-spoke wheel on this car.
Yep, that the same one that's in OY. It seems to be a bigger diameter than the other wheels (two or three spoke) that came with power steering, but I really never checked. I'm still thinking about the walnut rimmed Grant wheel....hummm. I do have the two spoke power steering wheel from the parts wagon in VA, but it is discolored and kind of beat up. Not what I want to put in OY. I'll wait and see what "lowbudget" might come up with in a few weeks. No rush for any of this.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This thread (post # 24) Steering Wheel Talks a bit about steering wheels, some.

Not that it matters, my wife can not / will not fit behind the steering wheel on my wagon, because of the diameter of steering wheel as well as a lack of tilt steering.
She can get into the 5th Ave, just fine (smaller wheel, tilt steering and 6-way seats).

I still want to put my ’70 wood grain wheel in the car, but it will just stand out in that all blue interior.
BudW

got job

Reaction score
I have a blue original, well worn tuff wheel on my wagon. A Grant wheel has a different feel in that the padded wheel ring is thicker.

IMG_1322.JPG

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I'm still thinking about the walnut rimmed Grant wheel....hummm.

I had a couple big black walnut trees that a guy gave me a grand to take down for veneers. They left a TON of scrap behind because it wasn't perfect enough for them. (they needed long straight sections) There's probably a whole trees worth still there if someone knew how to work with it...

Probably not quite what you're looking for, lol

Back