Love at first sight

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I still want to put my ’70 wood grain wheel in the car, but it will just stand out in that all blue interior.
I remember my uncle got a new '76 Volare four door with the blue interior for a company car. I remember even at the time, the blue was so striking inside. Such a nice change from the obligatory black or grey of todays cars. I think the woodgrain wheel in your blue interior might look quite good. You could compliment it with a woodgrain instrument bezel too.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
There's probably a whole trees worth still there if someone knew how to work with it... Probably not quite what you're looking for, lol
Actually, I love working with wood, in particular building furniture, although I don't have the time right now. Walnut is a very nice wood to work with due to the tight grain and it is a hardwood. Years back, I took a week-long workshop seminar out in Ohio, near Ashtabula to learn how to build a comb-back Windsor armchair from scratch. It was great fun, and we all came away with our own hand-built chair. We started with the ACTUAL TREE TRUNK of oak, which we split, and obtained the raw stock to shave down into spindles and arms. We carved the seat out of poplar, and the rest was made from maple stock. It was made entirely using only hand tools, except that we used an electric lathe to turn the legs and stringers (the chairs we made in my class were a more traditional type than the contemporary ones shown on his website). Here is the website for Lenox Workshops: Windsor Chairmaker It doesn't seem that he is offering the workshops anymore, but who knows. It was fun, the class was about 8 people, and we all stayed in the workshop in little private rooms, and ate delicious meals prepared by Joe's wife, Libby. I'd post some pics of it, but I think they are still on my old computer. Here is another web page of Joe's: Home I sort of went on a tangent from the walnut steering wheels, but...oh well.

Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has nothing to do with walnut steering wheels, much less Volares and Aspens, but maybe some of you are into furniture too, like I am. I have been saving up for quite a while to splurge on this Pennsylvania Farm Table.
pennsylvania_farm_table-mlgpu.jpg
pennsylvania_farm_table-pu1l.jpg
pennsylvania_farm_table-pu2l.jpg
pennsylvania_farm_table-pu3l.jpg

It is hand made from tiger maple by a company just outside of Lancaster, PA. Here is their website: Online Furniture Store | Great Windsor Chairs It comes in cherry too, but I really love the tiger maple. I plan to bump out my rear kitchen wall to double the size of my kitchen and have the new rear wall be a series of windows taking up almost that entire rear wall which will look out onto a shade garden built into a slope with a waterfall falling out of a stone retaining wall into a very small pond. This table will be 6 ft. long, and the main and only piece of furniture in that room (except for side benches I am building and my Windsor chair). This cannot happen until I get my seemingly eternal "slow-motion flip" done on another house. I do almost all of my own work, so everything takes forever! Ok sorry, back to Volares and Aspens and steering wheels and such:
June 14, 2015 014.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
My friend has a butterscotch Wagon in his salvage yard. Remind me in 3 weeks and I will go check on it. It was a 4 speed car as I was going to grad the column out of it for a floor shift conversion.
Hi low budget, It's been about three weeks now, did you ever get a chance to check out the steering wheel on the salvage yard wagon yet? No hurry, just wondered.

Back