M Body cop suspension on F Body volare?

ttocs15

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone knows if M body cop car suspension would be a nice upgrade on my 80 volare?
Would something like that be worth doing?
If so, would it basically be a bolt on? Or would it require a lot of fabrication? If it isn't a simple bolt on, I probably would not bother doing it and just keeping it stock rebuild.

Thank you all for responding to all my questions on these forums!

Aspen500

Reaction score
F/M/J front suspension are all the same so it would be a direct bolt on. Really the only difference between standard and Police is the torsion bars and sway bar. The rest of the parts are the same, unless I'm forgetting something right now.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
There are better parts than cop parts to put on these cars. For rear brakes there's the Jeep disks, there's many different options for shocks and sway bars same with bushings. Why would you want what was a little bit better in 1980?

ttocs15

Reaction score
There are better parts than cop parts to put on these cars. For rear brakes there's the Jeep disks, there's many different options for shocks and sway bars same with bushings. Why would you want what was a little bit better in 1980?

Are the jeep parts bolt-on? Definitely interested if you could send me some part numbers and/or links to these parts. I just don't want to do any custom fabrication.
Only reason I was considering cop car suspension is because I am thinking about purchasing a $1000 360 v8 cop car and swapping parts on the cheap. I read the F body and M body are very similar, but wasn't sure how similar. It may not be the best idea.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
An ’80 4-door F body and ’80 4-door M-body are very similar – with a few differences (like header panel, dash design, taillights, etc.).

The ’80 police version of F and M-body suspensions are exactly the same.

It was mentioned earlier but the differences between (all) police and non-police FMJ-body suspensions are:
- Front sway bar is larger.
- Front sway bar to K-frame brackets are different (different size sway bar inner and outer bushing diameters).
- Torsion bars are exactly the same – but the rubber bushings (K-frame mount and control arm mount) are firmer. The police bushings have been out of production sense the early ‘90’s. The normal/regular bushings are getting few and far between, now days.
- There is a rumor the police K-frames are stronger. I have had police and non-police K-frames side by side and can’t see any differences between then (so maybe different, but I doubt it). If you have a K-frame out of car and considering driving hard with it, I do highly recommend making sure everything is welded up on K-frame with extra gussets, etc. to beef it up.
- Rear leaf springs are 5-leaf. Most (not all) Wagons, police and some towing package cars use 5-leaf springs. All others use 4-leaf springs.
Note: 4-leaf and 5-leaf ISO-clamp lower brackets are different (to allow the thickness of the additional spring).
- Rear sway bar (a police car only (or aftermarket), item).
- Rear leaf spring shackle are trapezoid shaped instead of rectangular shaped. Note: the frame bracket for rear leaf spring is also different because of the wider (at frame side) trapezoid shaped shackles.
20160703_000204r.jpg

Police shackle (looking from front of car rearwards).
20160703_000014.jpg

Non-police shackle
Note: you can see the police frame bracket "tube" is wider, than the lower version is.

If you have access to F or M-body police suspension parts – then great. If not, then aftermarket parts might be better. The parts from FFI (Firm Feel) http://www.firmfeel.com/fmj_body_mopar_parts.html are great - but pricey.

I have an ’77 F-body and a ’86 M-body and still gathering parts for both. I also have the complete front and rear suspension systems from a rusted out ’84 Gran Fury police car.

My plans (for both vehicles), is to use torsion bars (which are thicker/stronger), front and rear sway bars from FFI. Use either aluminum (or iron or urethane) K-frame mounts (FFI or other). 5-leaf rear springs (my wagon already has 5-leaf). Get rid of the rear suspension ISO-Clamp and replace with older style shock brackets (note: others have had good luck by replacing the ISO-Clamp rubber with urethane biscuits – but the lower ISO metal bracket is prong to failure - see picture, below).
Lastly, use either a FFI or Borgeson steering gear.

For brakes
, there is an upgrade to using Jeep rear disk brakes, and upgrade to using ’75-81 B and R-body 11¾” front brake rotors (FMJ’s use 11” diameter front rotors). The additional ¾” doesn’t sound like much – but they work better. The 11¾” brake rotors as well as the Jeep rear disks do require 15” wheels (or larger).

The same if you were to use 11” rear drum brakes (which is also comes with police or towing package cars) – for they also require 15” (or larger) wheels.

You DO NOT want your rear brakes to over- power the front brakes – or bad things will happen.
To be honest – I love the idea of the Jeep rear disk brake setup, as well as 11” drum brakes, BUT not until you upgrade your front brakes, first!

20160914_140132.jpg

FFI aluminum K-frame mounts

Shockplates1.jpg

Rear shock plates. These are aftermarket - but older factory parts look close. These replace the rear ISO-Clamps and do require a different rear shock ('66-72 B-body) and longer U-bolts.

IMG_2456a.JPG

The blue circle is where the lower ISO-clamp fails at (note to self: get a better picture than this).

I hope this helps.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
am thinking about purchasing a $1000 360 v8 cop car and swapping parts on the cheap.
This might not be a bad idea - if you have the $.
There are a lot of "other" police parts that might be useable or sellable - so a chance you might make some money back.
BudW

Opticon77

Reaction score
I have the cop sway bars and whole rear end w/ springs swapped in my M body. Notes:

You are not going to overpower your stock front disc brakes with the 11" rear drums. Even with stock proportioning I still couldn't lock the rears before the fronts. The difference in brake pad material up front is a more drastic change than the extra 1" on the rear drums.

Now going from drum to disc in the rear with stock proportioning would absolutely be a problem even with upgraded larger front brakes UNLESS you reduce rear brake pressure with something like this little guy on the output to the rear line...

p142675_image_large.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I agree about the 11" drums, I've had them on my Volare for 30 years.

Back