Magnum from Manual transmission to auto

71Newp

Reaction score
Can a Magnum engine that came from a truck with a manual transmission be hooked up to an automatic transmission??? Thanks.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
That is a very generic question and a very generic answer would be yes.
But what is it you what to do?

71Newp

Reaction score
I want to swap a 5.2 magnum that was from a manual transmission truck into a 1976 Cordoba with a 904. Is it a matter of unbolting the pilot sleeve bearing and then bolting on a flex plate, or are the crankshafts different? Anything else that would make it more difficult than using an engine from a auto transmission truck?

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
FUNNY, I am wondering the opposite. Can I put a 5.2 magnum from an automatic truck in my 4 speed Volare.

Opticon77

Reaction score
Link>: Automatic Transmission Details

5.2L makes things easier because it is internally balanced. Now trying to match the external balancing requirements of the 5.9L gets interesting.

And I have certainly never heard of different crankshafts for Auto vs Manual.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
The magnum has an area on the block that needs grinding to use the magnum starter on the non magnum 904 trans. But other than the flexplate and non balanced torque convertor should work.

Ed Dorey

Reaction score
From what I understand, the crankshaft in my 318 with a manual trans has an area machined out for a pilot bushing. An Automatic one would not have that area machined out so the input shaft from a manual would be too long. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
I think all the cranks get machined for a pilot bushing. Only engines that never get a manual trans dont.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
Maybe. Is that crank manufactured by them or an offset ground core? I would think most aplications would be performance based and should be machined for a pilot bushing.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
On a side note the only crank I have seen not machined for a pilot bushing was Cadillac 472 and 500s never came with a manual trans. But those are old engines and dont remember looking at my 5.9 magnum when I did my swap. I used a 999 and the only problem was the starter. Had to clearence a nub on the block.

Ed Dorey

Reaction score
I thought about going with a 5.9 magnum but haven't seen a lot of performance parts for them like cams and intakes. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

80mirada

Reaction score
Most have the Magnum heads remachined to take an LA series intake. Edelbrock has a Performer RPM Air-Gap for Magnums. They take most LA series performance parts

Back