Magnum Heads onto LA block

Duke5A

Reaction score
Yup, .525". Most performance roller cams are .550" and up. You can more lift on Magnum heads if you have the spring seats machined.

80mirada

Reaction score
Magnums can take quite a bit of lift with just the right retainer. Hughes has a spring and retainer kit that can take somewhere around .560 lift without cutting the head.

80mirada

Reaction score
Looked up my cam specs, I am running a Lunati Voodoo, with .549 intake and .566 on the exhaust with uncut factory Magnum heads.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Magnums can take quite a bit of lift with just the right retainer. Hughes has a spring and retainer kit that can take somewhere around .560 lift without cutting the head.

It used to be with the R/T springs and Mopar Performance retainers .525 was the max you could go without running into coil bind. Are you using factory valves?

greymouser7

Reaction score
If you're referring to the 318 with mag heads, ran (and still runs) great. The 5.9, I sold before ever doing anything with.

The 318 (and car) are currently up for sale because Dad has lost interest in the car, and I am busy with a 442. If I had room, I'd get it back because I'm fairly certain that 318 would smoke the 442 when it's done.
What car is for sale with this 318?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've got better springs and had wanted to try them, but we just ordered the same cam for my old 318 to be safe. Down the road I'd love to build a 360 mag so I'm not quite ready to come off the springs yet.. but then again after the headaches with the rebuild on the Olds, I may just find a JY 5.7 and go with that for the next Mopar build I have

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
What car is for sale with this 318?
My old 86 AHB. It sounds like Pops has gotten a renewed interest as of late though. It's scheduled to go in this week for a transmission rebuild/new converter, we just ordered new lifters/pushrods/cam since a bunch of lifters have collapsed from it sitting so long, and I've got an interior sitting in my garage for it.

greymouser7

Reaction score
My old 86 AHB. It sounds like Pops has gotten a renewed interest as of late though. It's scheduled to go in this week for a transmission rebuild/new converter, we just ordered new lifters/pushrods/cam since a bunch of lifters have collapsed from it sitting so long, and I've got an interior sitting in my garage for it.
it's late, i'm tired, what is AHB reguarding FMJ's again? thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
AHB is the code for Police pkg. It will be a code, on the fender tag.

AHB letters aren't actually an acronym for anything.

Back