Magnum truck shorty headers fit?

84Furyus

Reaction score
I've searched with no luck on this but I'm wondering if anybody has tried using the shorty headers made for the 5.2/5.9 Dakota, Ram, Durango.
Just looking at pictures it looks like if the angle of the oil filter adapter was changed on my 84 Fury that they could fit but would like to see what others think.
%24_10.jpg

4speedjim

Reaction score
Get a 45* filter adapter. As far as fitting a car? I would think, but dont know, think* the truck header would point down to the motor mount, K member? Tri y headers fit like a glove. Even with a 4 speed they clear everything so nice. They ain't cheap by most accounts, but how much is a few days of cussing cutting and fab-ing worth vs sliding the headers in in a few hours and looking good when you pop the hood?

84Furyus

Reaction score
Get a 45* filter adapter. As far as fitting a car? I would think, but dont know, think* the truck header would point down to the motor mount, K member? Tri y headers fit like a glove. Even with a 4 speed they clear everything so nice. They ain't cheap by most accounts, but how much is a few days of cussing cutting and fab-ing worth vs sliding the headers in in a few hours and looking good when you pop the hood?

I'm avoiding long tube headers for ground clearance as I've seen so many say they hang very low and I have my car almost on the bump stops and no desire to lift it up.
The big concern with these is if that loop on the drivers side would hit the booster and if so would changing to the k car dual diaphragm booster give enough space.
I cant seem to find much for shorty headers and really have no desire to spend $400+ on long tube headers that may require lifting the ride height to avoid ripping them up.

4speedjim

Reaction score
The K car booster is a great start. I dont know but wouldnt LA shorties bolt up to the magnum heads? Theres plenty of SS shorties on ebay for under $200. You might just have to start trying parts but for the price of a k car booster Id add that to the first things first list.

84Furyus

Reaction score
The K car booster is a great start. I dont know but wouldnt LA shorties bolt up to the magnum heads? Theres plenty of SS shorties on ebay for under $200. You might just have to start trying parts but for the price of a k car booster Id add that to the first things first list.
I've been looking around at shorty headers and mostly just these and block huggers coming up. Looks like these would fit better than the block huggers overall but cant find anything on using shorties on these cars.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Maybe magnumswap.com would be some help? They run a magnum in a dart but they probably have long tubes. Check them out. Its an informative site.

84Furyus

Reaction score
Maybe magnumswap.com would be some help? They run a magnum in a dart but they probably have long tubes. Check them out. Its an informative site.
Will do.
I looked at the idea for a full swap but found out my engine has low miles on a rebuilt engine so thinking magnum heads, mild cam exhaust & 4bbl.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I looks like the Lt one might have a problem with the steering shaft.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Hooker had a header that made contact with the steering shaft, I dont recall the # of that particular header, but try a speed shop or Joe and AJ here are very knowlegable and helpful on what will work. There not much in economy headers for magnum swaps into our cars. Tri Ys are a good bet. You might need to move the collector up to avoid scraping the ground, or you may just have to raise the front up an inch. Its a tough deal with a truck only engine and Mopar being so small before they came our with the Hemi and a transmission that would last the life of a truck. Theres compromises that will have to be made. Taller tires will help and fill the wheel well nicely, a few turns on the torsion bars, maybe pounding a dent into a header tube are common answers to common problems. Without buying more expensive parts, your going to have to do some modifications and maybe settle. Theres always a way around most obsticals. Sometimes a bigger hammer, sometimes a cutting torch, sometimes its having a shop get involved. But guys put magnums in cars every month so nothing is impossible, it just might need modification. You have a 5.9? If so you will need a 360 center sump oil pan. Not a 318 pan, unless its a 5.2. Thay are different.

Last edited:

84Furyus

Reaction score
Hooker had a header that made contact with the steering shaft, I dont recall the # of that particular header, but call a couple speed shops or Joe and AJ here are very knowlegable on what will work. There not much in economy headers for magnum swaps into our cars. Tri Ys are a good bet. You might need to move the collector up to avoid scraping the ground, or you may just have to raise the front up an inch or two. Its a tough deal with a truck only engine and Mopar being so small. Theres compromises that will have to be made. Taller tires will help, a few turns on the torsion bars, maybe cutting up or pounding a dent into a header tube are common answers to common problems. Without buying more expensive parts, your going to have to do some modifications and maybe settle for less than ideal end results.

Thanks. I'm just planning magnum heads tho and seems LA headers/manifolds bolt up fine to them.
I'm just looking for shorty headers to avoid ground clearance issues.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I think the outlets are to far back and will hit the firewall.

84Furyus

Reaction score
I think the outlets are to far back and will hit the firewall.
After digging I did find that there are guys that tried even stock hagnum manifolds on A busy cars and power steering made them not work otherwise sounds like manual steering cars a little grinding on the left manifold and they worked. So I guess this idea is out.
May have to get long tube headers and maybe modify them if they are too low to the ground.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Most guys just switch to a manual steering box or you can go with LA car exhaust manifolds and that fixes everything. Ground clearance, PS clearance, shift linkage and a pair is under $100 easy. You'll also need the LA front drive and timing chain cover to use a mid sump LA oil pan. Never mind, I forget your using an LA short block. Your Magnum heads. Are they EQ (Engine Quest)?

4speedjim

Reaction score
You can convert to EPS Electric Power Steering with the motor and computer from most FWD cars in the junk yard. Theres some very popular cars to salvage the parts from but I dont remember which ones off the top of my head. Chevy Equinox comes to mind and a Toyota I think. Theres plenty of info on the swap online and you can do that any time.

slant6billy

Reaction score
The picture you have are the "Ram Horn" style short headers. I have them on my 97 Ram and I would have concern on the passenger side on the F body. There is a non - Ram horn style that my clearance the passenger side. Also, there is a 3/4 length header for Dakotas from some company (Spin Tech) that should fit and clearance both the frame rail (from the pics) and the oil filter adapter - but they are 700 bucks. Dakota, Durango, and Ram Mid Length Headers

84Furyus

Reaction score
slant6billy I haven't gotten much yeas I've only had the car just over 2 weeks.
The 4bbl intake manifold is on the way, I have an Eddy 1406 on my shelf, the new dizzy and coil just arrived yesterday.
I was planning to go check out a pair of used heads at the machine shop a guy dropped off and never went back to pick up still looking at camshafts and trying to figure out headers.
I want to keep power steering due to my bad arm/hand so I'm not sure what headers will work, also no clue if stock manifolds will support much power.

4speedjim

Reaction score
There isnt a factory Magnum head thats not cracked across the exhaust intake divide on virtually every hole. I have 5 or 6 5.9s out back with cracked heads. They were bad when new and only got worse with age. Mechanic in a can and repaired heads are iffy because of the poorly designed port and water jacket and the low cost of replacement heads. Summit and Jegs last I checked sell EQ magnum heads for $300 delivered to you door. I have a couple sitting on a shelf in the barn for my build.
What cam you going to run? Whats your plans for the car? Nice weather Daily driver, show car hot street or race? We love pictures!
Most these guys have dozens, 100s or more hot engine builds under their belts. Many race.
You can get a header kit and build your own. I think I saw them for $199 per box which should make one set of 2 if you dont have to many bends. Just buy the flanges for your heads and the pipe kit and your good to go! Did you see the Roadkill garage episode where they smashed a set of headers on the dyno? They eventually totally smashed them closed and lost no or .8 HP as in less than one if i recall correctly. So I wouldnt get too hung up on headers for now. Its on Utube. Just get the right parts, good parts and get it built. You should be able to make 325-350HP - 375Tq with the right cam. I like the whiplash or Thumper cams. Good for street and sound very nice. Parts will be getting cheap and plentiful. Specially now with winter and Christmas coming around. A lot of parts will be coming up and going cheap. A good time to buy parts! Did I mention we love pictures?

80mirada

Reaction score
Doug's 453 and TTI headers go above the steering linkage, I believe one of the Super Competition Hooker headers do as well. Schumacher shorties also fit very well. Those short Dakota headers are close to fitting, I seem to remember the collector flange on the driver side hits the steering shaft, and the passenger one hit the firewall.

4speedjim

Reaction score
84furyus, Check out the Borgson steering box thread. There maybe some info you can use for header fitment

Back