Manual or Auto?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Horse a piece on manual or auto in the 1/4 mile. An auto will make faster shifts but also uses more horsepower in the process but is mostly offset by the converter multiplying torque. A manual takes much less power to run but you have to be good at power shifting to not lose time and there's no torque multiplication with a clutch. An auto is easier on parts such as the driveshaft and rear axle than a manual would be, especially if you power shift.
How's that for a non-answer? lol What i'm trying to say is it's really personal preference. Me, I prefer an automatic now. Ask me thirty years ago and I would have said manual.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The key phrase is “your preference”.

An automatic weights more, robs more horsepower and gets (in most cases) worse fuel mileage than a standard transmission will (on most people).

My experience shows an automatic transmission tends to break down (long term) more often, and when they do break, costs more to fix than a manual transmission does.

If racing, an automatic will get you more consistent times – which can be a big plus.

I prefer the manual – but can drive an auto (although not smiling as much).
When I had injured my ankle awhile back, driving the stick was painful but possible.

Note: I don’t think a word that anyone here should convince you to your choice. The only thing we can do is help you confirm your choice.

Off topic Note: my ’97 Dodge ¾ ton diesel 5-speed 2*4 extended cab with 8 foot bed is a big long and heavy beast of a truck. Size alone is intimidating to many people to drive – but it is very forgiving to drive. I’ve taught a bunch of people how to drive a stick with it. You can take off in 5th gear if you want to – but it will also buck like a bull doing so (think rodeo bull riding). The truck has a governor so going over 3k RPM’s wont happen. All you have to do is find some huge yard or parking lot somewhere - for it will not turn on a time.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I had a dodge dakota from the last year they had a carb. It literally took 5 lane widths to do a u-turn.

Badasspen

Reaction score
I’m building a pair of 400 stroker engines, one to install into my ‘77 Volare station wagon and one into my ’86 5th Ave (one auto, so wife will fell happy driving and other 5 (or 6) speed stick).
I prefer shifting – wife, not so much.

All I need is more $ to get a few missing parts and time to get engines and transmissions built to my specs.

Badasspen, if you plan on going automatic, I know a bunch of people who would pay you for your clutch petal setup. Might even get a trade for there’s and $ on top.
I have a clutch petal setup. I just need everything else (including $).
I have the car home and am needing some parts. I will pull the clutch and brake pedal assembly and will take you up on that offer. Pm me for details. Thanks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have a manual clutch petal setup (and an automatic clutch petal setup) – so not really needing another set.

Now with that said, I would be willing to sell my auto petal setup (out of an ’84 Gran Fury police car – but the same exact thing as what F-body automatics use) for $10.00 plus the ride there.

I wasn’t trying to imply I needed another manual petal setup (if so, sorry) – but I see a lot of people (here) looking for them.

If interested, I can post pictures here (can’t post pictures in PM’s/conversations).

BudW

Badasspen

Reaction score
I would be more interested in barter. That sounds high for an automatic pedal assembly. I have a manual steering box I am willing to trade. My funds are limited at this time and drive train has priority over the winter. Thanks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we can trade.
Will send you a PM with address, shortly (taking family out for evening, first).

Back