Mopar misery...

Eauledoit11

Reaction score
The last piece of the puzzle neede to pass inspection, the horn.

It use to work fine, then it would only work when the radio was off. Then only when the car was off. Now not at all. It is an aftermarket horn because the original filled with water and broke. Any thoughts?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This may take two people.

Hook up a test light to the horn wire, and have someone push on horn button.

The test light should only light when horn button is depressed.

If it doesn’t then find the horn relay (in fuse box) and you may need to get a service manual – to find out which wire is coming from horn button.

The most likely suspects:
Blown fuse
Horn (or Horns)
Horn relay (in fuse box, by steering wheel)
Horn button.
Wiring harness is also possible, but unlikely.

My experience has been bad horns only, to date – with exception I had a horn button on my ’77 Cordoba in early ‘80’s, which went off by self when temp got below 10’ F.
It sounded like a dog you forgot to bring back into the house, on a cold day.

If you need a horn, then pretty much everything Chrysler made from about ’66 to early ‘90’s will fit. Just keep in mind that some cars have LO and HI and some only have one (not sure which one).

If car only came with one horn, then getting the other with the short pigtail, is not hard either. Going with aftermarket or even adapting an off brand horn is not difficult either.

The hard only part I know of, is finding a new horn button/contact.

Eauledoit11

Reaction score
Again, bud with the lifesavers. I havent run the light test, but when I push the button, i here the clicks. so i took out the positive wire and when i plugged it back into the horn with the button pushed, it clicked. Methinks im getting power to the horn but the horn itself is FUBAR. all the fuses are good. it was the first place i looked. :D It came stock with the one horn and as I said the new one is aftermarket. Guess ill have to order a new one, pending the light test results of course.

Eauledoit11

Reaction score
Ok so I know the horn is good. I ran a jump wore from the terminals to the battery. The buttons click when I press them so I'm sure they're good (I have three. What are the odds they're all bad?) How hard is it to get a new relay if that's the problem? If it was working the other day and just stopped would it be a faulty ground? Any electricians with advice would be splendid

Eauledoit11

Reaction score
Here's the 20A fuse...seems fine

image.jpg

Eauledoit11

Reaction score
Actually yes! Joe 12459 is the winner! It was the ground. When I used a jumper wire to connect the ground to the battery it went off perfectly. Even when the car runs AND with all the lights and whatnot on. I do worry it's putting too much power through it because it's an OOGA kinda horn. Like the old time cars used to have. Sometimes I noticed the horn would increase its pitch (like the motor inside speeds up as the car speeds up?) I have noticed that as I increase power through the engine the lights get brighter, the radio gets louder, turn indicators blink quicker. etc but it wasn't always doing it at speed. I love these cars but the wiring SUCKS! :(

Justwondering

Reaction score
I totally agree -- but its even worse when the packrat chews through 11 wires and you have to butt splice everything to get it to run again.

Back