Mufflers and Exhaust

88_AHB

Reaction score
Still deciding between the straight thru mufflers on these and the turbo style. Both brands sound definitely good and a nice deeper tone overall.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've always had two sets of pipes for my project cars, one set of turbo mufflers with turn downs and a set of race bullets with turn downs. It's nice to have a choice depending on what you're going to do with the car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The straight through, like the Ultra-Dynomax welded mufflers on my car, are not real quiet (hence adding the resonators upstream). I'd estimate they're close to double the noise of a Dynomax reverse flow turbo. Maybe not double the loudness but they are louder..

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Here is a video by Flowmaster about the different choices of mufflers according to what you are looking for. I wouldn't want anything loud, just a nice low rumble at idle and during acceleration. Similar to the sound of the stock 4.7 exhaust on my Ram 1500. The one that I think I would choose for my wagon with the slant Super Six is the 60 Series DeltaFlow (@ 8:39 on the video). It is the one that is recommended for 4 and 6 cylinder applications.

Then they also have this video comparing several of the Flowmasters on a hotrodded Challenger. Not a great video as it doesn't give much time to hear them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I know what sounds good is a subjective thing. I've just never liked the chambered muffler sound. To each their own though!:)

P.S. Whoever decided to put oversize cartoon wheels and o-ring tires on that car needs to be flogged.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
To each their own though!:)
Very true. I had Cherry Bombs on a terrible '67 Impala I owned once a century ago, and they sounded like the ones on this video. They have a very staccato sound to them that seems just too much. To me, I much prefer the "throaty" sound of the Flowmasters. It all depends on what you are looking for I guess.

Back