Mustang 8.8 in a m body

TheSkunk

Reaction score
I need an 8.8 swap for dummies list.. I’m putting a 8.8 out of a new edge mustang (what I have laying in the barn) going in my 78 Lebaron.

I need parts list and install instructions if any has em. I know I’ll need custom drive shaft.. What else is needed to use stock mustang calipers and discs?, what spring perches and shock mounts (want to loose iso) and any other parts? Thanks guys

TheSkunk

Reaction score
Ik the thread has been dead for awhile now but I’m currently in the process of doing this swap and am running Mancini b body shock plates and have a question about the locating pins.
4BCE9E08-50AC-4C2C-B581-E7DEE3FCE90D.jpeg

reusing the fmj iso center pin “spacer”? Causes a gap underneath my shock plate that I can’t find any mention of anywhere.
54A5248E-34E4-4C82-BFDA-A3D66CB5DE29.jpeg

My question is do I need to drill out my shock plate to center and pull up flush to the bottom of the leaf springs or is this gap supposed to be there?

The sooner I get this in and done the sooner I can have a complete right up of a 8.8 swap to post for everyone

Duke5A

Reaction score
I replaced the center pin when I did mine. I think I might have used an Allen bolt.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You'll need to enlarge the center hole or replace the center bolt like Duke did. The plate needs to be tight against the spring.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Nows the time to look at the springs too while you have it apart. The 4 leaf ones are prone to wear.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yeah ditch the 4 leafs and get 5 leafs. You'll be glad you did

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I actuallly have a 8.8 out of a 96 sn95 gt in the doba. I had all the mustang stuff cut off and had basic mopar performance leaf spring perches welded on. Went to lmr and bought their rear caliper hoses (you could easily buy stock replacements). The stock driveshaft I had shortened and setup with the ford u joint so I could use the flange setup instead of having to swap out the pinion snout to use u joint straps. For brake lines I made my own. I ran a union from the end of the hard line where the stock hose went and ran it to the passenger side (which is where ford added their junction to run a line to the driver side). Picked up stock replacement parking brake cables from a 96 or 98 mustang and tied them into the cable coming off the pedal. you may be able to find universal cables for that, I figured it was the easiest way to make the parking brake functional.

Back