My Lebaron is finally home. Now for the parts search

Milezero

Reaction score
Looks great! Those are the same rims I have on one of mine that came off my 79 Caravelle.

There is no screw on m bodies there, it looks like they want you to make a hole to hold that bracket.

I've been wanting to get an am/FM/cb setup for ages for my truck.
The Mic has a plastic loop attached to it that allows it to hang form the volume or tuning knob. I suspect it spent most of it's time on the tuning knob, as you have to get a "running start" to change stations!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Even when the cars were new, the T-tops leaked water.
They finally fixed the T-top leaking issue around '84 or so, when they placed a inch-wide (or so) valley between the T-top edges and the weatherstripping.

What our T-top cars need is an automatic inflatable weatherstripping - that deflate when tops are removed. Then find a way to do the same on the door glass weatherstripping on 2 door cars, when doors are closed.
BudW

Milezero

Reaction score
Even when the cars were new, the T-tops leaked water.
They finally fixed the T-top leaking issue around '84 or so, when they placed a inch-wide (or so) valley between the T-top edges and the weatherstripping.

What our T-top cars need is an automatic inflatable weatherstripping - that deflate when tops are removed. Then find a way to do the same on the door glass weatherstripping on 2 door cars, when doors are closed.
BudW
That sounds like a great idea! I found a great auto glass and trim place fairly local, and they LOVE the challenge of resealing old classic cars! I do think it's a crap shoot if I show up without at least new door window seals though. Just started looking for them, but no luck yet.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
In digging through the paperwork I got with the car, the purchase date was after purchase, but prior to delivery, which makes me believe the buyer arranged to have it installed by the dealer.
I wouldn't doubt it at all. In the paperwork that was in the glove box of my wagon when I bought it, I found the Chrysler paperwork for the original AM/CB transceiver with the dates and address of the dealership which confirmed that the original owner had the dealer order the unit and had them install it before she took delivery of the new wagon. Interesting because the Chrysler radio/CB units were quite expensive and the wagon was pretty much a base car. Guess she really wanted CB right away! Also in the glove box was the plastic clip to hang the mic on which had never been opened. That was a really neat find!

Milezero

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt it at all. In the paperwork that was in the glove box of my wagon when I bought it, I found the Chrysler paperwork for the original AM/CB transceiver with the dates and address of the dealership which confirmed that the original owner had the dealer order the unit and had them install it before she took delivery of the new wagon. Interesting because the Chrysler radio/CB units were quite expensive and the wagon was pretty much a base car. Guess she really wanted CB right away! Also in the glove box was the plastic clip to hang the mic on which had never been opened. That was a really neat find!
Sometimes you find some really cool stuff with an old car. The Lebaron showed up with all of the original sales paperwork in a custom frame. Also got the original color keyed rally wheels that were ordered with the car! I'm still exploring this one.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
You have a real find with your LeBaron! Hidden treasures are still out there, you just have to be patient and keep looking. Took me literally years to find my wagon.

Mr C

Reaction score
Congratulations on your sweet LeBaron!

Do you mean Road Wheels? Because the Rallye wheel (14 in) was not available on the LeBaron...

Factory literature is confused on the Road wheel option for 79...The Dealer data book does not show it available,

79-LeBaron_0009.jpg

yet the brochure pics did (below).

1979-Chrysler-LeBaron-11.jpg

Last edited:

Milezero

Reaction score
Congratulations of your sweet LeBaron!

Do you mean Road Wheels? Because the Rallye wheel (14 in) was not available on the LeBaron...

Factory literature is confused on the Road wheel option for 79...The Dealer data book does not show it available,

View attachment 43869

View attachment 43868
I suppose you could consider this another curiosity about the car. The Broadcast sheet shows W23, which is the Rallye Wheel, or “styled Road Wheel”. They’re 15 x 6. The previous owner loved the Aluminum Road Wheels, and picked up a pair. Here’s a pic of the factory wheels I got with the car.
4B662EF5-FE85-4AAB-B107-698511D50655.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The above picture is the 15" Road Wheel (below) - which is the only color I've seen these (except for on '70 300/H - which were yellow/tan with pinstripes).
15 Ralley wheel.jpg

Which is way different from the W23 14" Road Wheel) which looks like this:
Magnum 500 84 WV.PNG

I wasn't aware the 14" Road Wheel (W23) was an option for M-body, but I guess it could be. It was an option for F-bodies.

The aluminum wheels on your car, is option W25.

I don't know what the option number is for the 15" Road Wheel is - but I do know a few did come on early M-bodies.
The 15" Road Wheels you do have - did not come from factory painted red - so someone did that after the fact. I like the red, though and it does give the car a nice touch.

There is also an aluminum version of the 15" Road Wheel - but I only saw them on '78-79 B-body 2-door cars.

BudW

Milezero

Reaction score
The above picture is the 15" Road Wheel (below) - which is the only color I've seen these (except for on '70 300/H - which were yellow/tan with pinstripes).
View attachment 43871
Which is way different from the W23 14" Road Wheel) which looks like this:
View attachment 43872

I wasn't aware the 14" Road Wheel (W23) was an option for M-body, but I guess it could be. It was an option for F-bodies.

The aluminum wheels on your car, is option W25.

I don't know what the option number is for the 15" Road Wheel is - but I do know a few did come on early M-bodies.
The 15" Road Wheels you do have - did not come from factory painted red - so someone did that after the fact. I like the red, though and it does give the car a nice touch.

There is also an aluminum version of the 15" Road Wheel - but I only saw them on '78-79 B-body 2-door cars.

BudW
In the little research I did, W23 references have changed through the years, with the most notorious being the older, recalled Kelsey Hayes wheels.
As far as color goes, notice that Mr C’s brochure picture shows a brown car with “color matched” road wheels. I had assumed that the matching to body color was standard with these wheels.
They are 15” rims, and I was assured by the previous owner, who has close ties to the original owner, that they were original to the car, as pictured.
Just to clarify, the Aluminum road wheels that are currently on the car are NOT original. The color keyed road wheels in the picture are. I love the Aluminum wheels, but will certainly hang onto the originals.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I just now ran across an option code W55 ('78-79 Body-Color Road Wheels). I have manhandled thousands of Chrysler wheels from that time - have never ran across a set like yours, before. You appear to be correct. An option I've not seen before.

Milezero

Reaction score
Congratulations of your sweet LeBaron!

View attachment 43869

View attachment 43868
And please forgive me. I’ve always considered the wheels in question “Rallye Wheels”, but you are quite correct that They are Road Wheels.

Mr C

Reaction score
"I wasn't aware the 14" Road Wheel (W23) was an option for M-body, but I guess it could be. It was an option for F-bodies."

The 14 inch rallye wheel was never offered on M bodies...it was an F body thing in the late 70s. That's why I was initially confused when Milezero said Rallye wheels.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Its funny that the dog dish cap is the standard one on the base Lebaron. I've never seen one with them unless it was added. I've also rarely seen them with the 80s wire cap. Maybe they ran the old style until they ran out because that's the one most 79s seem to have.

There's two different styles of the aluminum ones. Mine are solid but there are also ones that have slots in the rim behind the cone with holes in the cone to match.
I painted the cones on mine to match the car.

Milezero

Reaction score
Its funny that the dog dish cap is the standard one on the base Lebaron. I've never seen one with them unless it was added. I've also rarely seen them with the 80s wire cap. Maybe they ran the old style until they ran out because that's the one most 79s seem to have.

There's two different styles of the aluminum ones. Mine are solid but there are also ones that have slots in the rim behind the cone with holes in the cone to match.
I painted the cones on mine to match the car.
You’re right about the aluminum wheels, I had forgotten about that! My 78 Charger had the slotted ones. The ones on my Lebaron appear to be solid.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '78-79 2-door B-body aluminum wheels look very close to the 15" Road Wheel.
7879 Aluminum Road Wheel 1.jpg

Here is a different version. Same wheel but has plastic trim that screws in from back side:
7879 Aluminum Road Wheel 2.jpg

The W23 Aluminum wheel is a different animal and, I agree with @Mikes5thAve, there are two different versions with it. One with oval slots and one without slots underneath the metal grilled cap. To me, the slots or not version don't matter for is not highly visible with the metal grilled caps installed (most people won't notice it).
M Alum 15 Wheel.jpg

BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It looks like the no slot rim also has a slightly wider lip around the edge of the rim.

Kramer79

Reaction score
Absolutely LOVING the car! 2 fender tags of options, and I did manage to find the Production Broadcast yesterday! It's beautiful, and just needs a little TLC. To that end, I would greatly appreciate some advice on locating the following parts:
Fixed mast AM/FM/CB Antenna
Window and T-Top seals.
The car has a few curiosities. It appears to have a dealer installed CB radio in it. The factory AM/FM/8-Track is intact, and there's a Motorola Mic with controls on it hanging from the tuning knob. Has anyone ever seen this prior?
Also got with the car the original color matched 79 Rally Wheels. Nice little bonus!
Nice car! Where are the production broadcast sheets usually found? Good luck with the car

Back