My next project.

brotherGood

Reaction score
No doubt. I saw the line of cars, and saw the nose and didn't think anything of it. Then I saw the top of the engine compartment, and realized there was a hemi tucked away..I literally stopped..lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Cool car, Cool video, and an ever cooler soundtrack (starting with Deep Purple, and fading to Santana, then Heart).

The G bodies (of the performance oriented Mopars) are right there with our cars for having the least amount of respect. Some of them were nice cars for their day.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Awe hell, hemi every stinkin mopar. Make em right in the universe. I dig when OBD2 technology is utilized in older stuff that is only checked for cats. It is giving the epa the finger.

Joe12459

Reaction score
So, on that note, and considering I can get the donor vehicle for next to nothing, I think a V10 build is in order. Now I have to find something to put it in.

Aspen500

Reaction score
V-10 in an f, m or j body? Someone has to do it, and seeing your Mirada you are just the man to pull it off!

I would guess the length (with the front end accessories) would be the biggest hurdle to fitting it along with the truck intake being fairly tall.

Joe12459

Reaction score
V-10 in an f, m or j body? Someone has to do it, and seeing your Mirada you are just the man to pull it off!

I would guess the length (with the front end accessories) would be the biggest hurdle to fitting it along with the truck intake being fairly tall.

Regarding the size, I was thinking the same thing. The height isn't a real issue. I'd probably have to scoop the hood. The length might be an issue. I might stop by my friend's house and take a good look at the truck. I'm sure it can be done. It's just a matter of how much fab work is required.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You got my curiosity up. Rough measurements and guesstimates only though. Measured the 3.9L in my Dakota and it's 23" from bellhousing to front of the crank pulley. Assuming the V-10 has the same front end accessory setup and 2 more cylinders per side would add about 8-9" or so to the length, comes to 32". Went out and measured my Aspen. If the bellhousing was in the stock location for an f-m-j body, it might leave enough room to have the electric fans behind the radiator with the rad in the stock location. Looks like about 3" of space. Mind you, this is all just speculation.

Joe12459

Reaction score
Hmmm. It sounds like this might not be as hard as it sounds. That is, if I find a car to build, and manage to convince my wife it's a good idea. That's always the hardest part of the build.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If needed, move to electric fans in front of the radiator in a pusher system; the clutch fan and belt drive for it are fairly long on my 318s. The V10 should have a serpentine belt accessory drive system already, so some overall length savings may be had from that.

Weight may be an issue, which is why I mentioned the Viper V10: its an aluminum block, so the weight increase would be less of an issue.

Only real way to know is to get the truck block measured out, and if possible, weighed. In the absence of that, its just speculation.

I remember reading about a '68 (I think it was a '68) Charger that had the Viper V10 put in; went pretty good. Made the conver of a few magazines, too.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm sure anything is possible after seeing the level of detail in the Mirada Hemi R/T. I'm also thinking of the ease of funds. The more variables of change, whether bought or fabbed up, cost goes up. Radiator moving forward- check. Exhaust, steering, oil pan- you get where I'm going. The FMJ platform can frustrate with a small block 318. I've dropped tools and sockets that still have not hit the floor. There are some spots of hate in that engine bay. The firewall has always been my source of hate when adjusting the distro. I need a notch cut into the firewall to swing the wrench. The V10 has some components in different locations over the magnum V8. I can't remember, but Cam & Crank sensors? I just remember my 1994 Grand Cherokee with the factory 5.2 magnum and no way in hell to get to the crank position sensor and what a f-ing pain the O2 sensor was to change. My point: as much extra realistate under the hood makes for less pain

Aspen500

Reaction score
You just need a big block and the distributor access problem is solved! ;) Those V6 and V8 Magnum crank position sensors are a PITA no matter what they're in. It's mostly a change by feel type of thing and if the engine is hot,,,,,,,forget it! The V10 won't be a problem, it's got distributorless ignition.
Actually, if I remember correctly the V10 sensor is in the right side of the block below cyl #4 area and reads off a trigger wheel machined into the crankshaft, instead of the ring on the flywheel/flex plate like the 6 and 8.

slant6billy

Reaction score
You just need a big block and the distributor access problem is solved! ;) Those V6 and V8 Magnum crank position sensors are a PITA no matter what they're in. It's mostly a change by feel type of thing and if the engine is hot,,,,,,,forget it! The V10 won't be a problem, it's got distributorless ignition.
Actually, if I remember correctly the V10 sensor is in the right side of the block below cyl #4 area and reads off a trigger wheel machined into the crankshaft, instead of the ring on the flywheel/flex plate like the 6 and 8.

All except the B series Van. Remove the dog house and bam- there is the crank position sensor. It's everything else that is a pain with the van like A/C compressor and water pump.

Back