Need advice on trim removal

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
1988 Dodge Diplomat. Have owned car since new. Going to have some minor rust and small dents repaired, and a total repaint. Paint shop declined trim removal (would just mask). There are a few places where some surface rust is starting right at the edge of some of the trim. I am removing the trim myself. Not sure how to remove the chrome trim around the side windows. Can someone advise? Really don't want to take a chance of bending it. Thanks.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Need a special tool.
KD_Tools_2038_S.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The belt molding your going to have to get in the doors and drop the glass if I remember correctly.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
The belt molding your going to have to get in the doors and drop the glass if I remember correctly.
Nope, not the belt molding.
Factory parts book call out is:
Moulding, frt.door wdo. opng. frame frt., bright, right,
moulding, " " " " " " , left.
(same) frt left
(same) rear left
(same) frt right
etc, etc, etc.
Only about 1/2-3/4 inch wide.
The belt moulding is on the bottom of the window, the moulding I'm refering to goes around the front, top, rear of the door glass, all four doors.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 4 doors and looked everywhere I could think of in the service manual and came up zip. Sorry.
Can you post a couple photo's by chance?

Rustyroger

Reaction score
Apologies for piggybacking on to your thread, but I can't figure out how to replace the windshield molding trim on my 1984 Fifth Avenue. I'm guessing you do?.
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm in the UK and can't find anyone over here who knows how to do it.

Roger.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Go up a few posts where Dr LeBaron posted the trim tool. It is a must have to remove the trim. It slides under the trim and then you pull it across until you hit a clip. Then, you rock the tool. The tool releases the clip and you just keep going around until all the clips are released. Without the tool all you'll do is bend the trim.
I looked for a GOOD video on the procedure but all I found was crappy ones that don't show much.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
OK, I found out how to remove the side window trim. If you take a tool similar to the "hook" tool for getting a radiator hose loose. Lower the window, insert the hook under the edge of the trim and pull HARD. be carefull not to bend the trim. It is just pushed (tightly) on to the edge of the window frame. I'm not sure if it can be done with the window run channel still in place. My channel is very bad, and falling apart. I have NOS channel for the front door windows. Need to try and locate channel for the back door windows.

Back