Need Tune up Specs For 1977 Plymouth 318

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Whats the Part # for the Mopar Choke thermostat? I want authentic Mopar not some outside vendor for this particular part.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Generally, they can see if any other dealers have one in stock, as well.

Having the part number on hand - is ¾ths the battle.

So I gave this a try, came up with a part # 3830512 for a choke thermostat. 74-77 Mopar 318 with BBD Carb. Anyways, gave Huntington Beach Chrysler a call :cool: The guy even said "sounds like a really old part #," but theres a dealer in Georgia with the part :eek: Haha, it worked. Thanks BudW :D

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Dodge part number 4027711

There are a couple on eBay. Might even at other sites (a popular part number).

It also appears to be available from Dodge, for $50.00 (US) MSRP.

Carter made these for Dodge and the Carter part number is 170-1332s (the dash is important).
BudW

Leizurtime

Reaction score
So I just went to install an OSAC NOX Valve and as I'm reconnecting the "to carb" vacuum line I noticed that it wasn't connected to the carb and significantly shortened. Not to mention, there was a white flaky mess all over the manifold.

image2.JPG
image1.JPG

After some minor sleuthing, all I can figure is that at some point, the coil wire began arcing on another wire or the carburetor and the vacuum line got in the way. I came to this conclusion after discovering some singe marks on the coil wire.

image3.JPG

I am running MSD cap and rotor, with MSD 8mm wires. Also using E3 Premium spark plugs. But ignition system is all stock. BWD Epoxy filled coil, brand new spectrum distributor. I noticed yesterday she was sluggish starting up, but then ran fine after warming up. A sluggish startup has been indicative of a vacuum leak, I guess this was it. I was lucky I even noticed the burnt off vacuum line, just because I happened to be changing the OSAC valve.

I fixed the broken vacuum line and electric taped the coil wire on the bad section. Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Last edited:
Back