New Acquisition: 1983 Imperial

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Made an attempt at starting today. Power on showed that the instrument cluster for the trip computer isn't functioning. Repaired some wires near the relay next to the power booster, power and a ground on the passenger side firewall. When trying to crank over there's, there's no heavy draw power, but it sounds like the bendix in the starter is sticking or there is possibly a bad wire to the starter. The engine did not even try to rotate.

If its a 'light' click i would say its still a bad connection somewhere, If its a heavier more substantial click, could be starter motor itself locked, or the engine is locked/froze. As mentioned I would pull all the plugs and use some sort of lube in cylinders, can be lube of choice and just let it set... (My cleveland motor had sat several years and had done the same... filled the cylinders with atf until it ran out of each. 4-5 days later bumped on starter a couple of times and had an instant oily mess, but I was happy. spun it for 30-45 sec. stuck plugs back in and fired it off)

That was 5-6 years ago, and it will start everytime with no ill effects..

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Tried again, fresh battery, same response. Jacked up passenger side, found a dangling, chewed ground. Can't get under the car at its current spot. This now starts the hiatus of the Imperial until I return in September.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Bryan, care to share with us what you coated your headliner backer board with? I remember some kind of fiberglass resin......

BHA43

Reaction score
Wow one of the limos. How many of those still kicking around? That a LS behind it?

That is the only 20" stretch that Chry made! Yes that it a rubber nosed Cordoba!

83Imp

Reaction score
I have some engine wiring harnesses for sale in the parts section if you think you may need them. I have a the carb conversion set, and a stock FI (not shown) harness I'll let you have pretty cheap (it's dirty) if you need it.

A bunch of other stuff for sale too like the 83 2-volume service manual set.

Last edited:

Bryan M.

Reaction score
IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Got it home today. Cleaned off the rodent detrius from the engine bay, attempted starting. Nothing. Rechecked wiring, couple of small repairs, nothing. Swapped out the starter relay from my Mirada, nothing. Replaced starter (NASTY.) nothing. Noticed hanging wires on passenger side undercarriage. A foot of wiring from the neutral safety switch had been severed. Repaired, engine turned right over, but no fire. Checked throttle body, blades were varnished shut. Some heavy chemicals later, the blades moved like new. Tried to start it, a quick choke, then nothing. Roped a friend in, blasted chemicals into throttle body, car ran for two minutes on that before we stopped.

Current situation: In-tank pump is certainly dead, and 20-to-1 the inline filters are carmelized with bad fuel. But she spun over, and ran fine...on Brake-kleen.

Notable issue: after repair, when key is on, the shift indicator shows both P and R as selected and the reverse lights are on. Ideas?

83Imp: I have the electrical FSM, do you still have the other book?

BHA43

Reaction score
Remember the car will NOT run without the air cleaner lid securely installed!

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Remember the car will NOT run without the air cleaner lid securely installed!

I know, but even with the lid installed, there is absolutely nothing. The lid came off to see if there was any functionality worth mentioning. Luckily, so far it's just the fuel pump.

83Imp

Reaction score
... so far it's just the fuel pump.

PM Sent.

Remember too Bryan, The fuel pump will not run at all if the ASM on the pass fender is not relaying the signal. Did you go to the Imperialonline website and read up on the system. The ASM typically needs a seperate ground (a fat ground wire from the module case to the heave AC compressor bracket) because it was only grounded to the fender from the factory and rust under the mount removed the ground.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I did run a new ground from the ASDM to the passenger-side ground and noticed a vast improvement in the car's cranking. I've been on Imperialonline and Imperial Club digging up info. This is the deepest I've gotten into a car since my 4-spd Diplomat a few years back.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Guys, I need wheel/tire combo suggestions. I don't want to reuse the "buckshot" wheels the Mirada has. I'm open to any suggestions other than stock.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I think a set of 16x8 and 16x9 wheels from an 88-89 chrysler conquest would look cool. The center of the wheel has the pentastar shape. Not sure, but I think the center register hole may need to be enlarged. You may be able to use bigger brakes also.

Back