New guy from Wausau WI

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've known about this site for some time and decided finally to join.
The condensed version for now is, my car is a 1979 Aspen Sunrise that I bought back in 1987. It was a S6/4-speed originally. In '89 I put in a 440/727/8.75" on an extremely tight budget. Fast forward to 1996 and coming home from the Car Craft Summer Cruise in Minneapolis drive fried in the trans. Drove the final 20 miles home in 2nd gear. One thing led to another (bought a house, etc) and the car sat in the garage until 2002. Started out to do the trans and a few other minor things. Ended up with the car stripped to a bare shell and starting from scratch. Literally every single part was rebuilt, overhauled, replaced or otherwise made like new (better than new in most cases). yes, it snowballed and I went way overboard and it took until 2012 to get it "done" but I now have the car I always wanted. It's got a 500" stroker BB, 727, 8.75" 3.23 Sure-Grip. Not meaning to brag but, aside from machine work on the block and heads and rechroming the bumpers, the entire thing was done single handed by myself from bodywork, paint, mechanical, etc. I did have help hanging the doors by another f-body owner that drove all the way up from Milwaukee, in a snow storm to help with the million pound doors. One of the good guys!

As I said, this is the condensed version. the whole story would bore you and take hours to type, lol.

A couple pics for to give an idea of what it looks like.

Hope to be on here from time to time and get to know other members eventually.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

pic3.jpg

aspensun_002.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Welcome. Beautiful car, love the color combo, and the 68 markers!

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Love the blue. Nice ride. Thanks for sharing. P.S We love stories. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mirada80

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, looks fantastic, early rallies and '68 marker lights look awesome.

DCAspen

Reaction score
WOW,Love the color combo,Super nice looking Aspen

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll post a more complete story later. Yes, it's B5 blue and had the '68 marker light idea eons ago, just never did it until the build. The stock plastic ones look like add on after thoughts (IMO anyways).

It's come a long way since '87. Here's the only pic I have of it as it was when bought (it was a trade in on a Ford Taurus of all things) from the Ford dealer I worked at back then. Not sure who that young, long haired hippie is standing next to it, :laughing1: This a digital photo of a film photo so it's not exactly top quality..............

Yes, it was silver and what I believe to be Panther Pink in the Sunrise stripe pattern. Other than that and the Keystones, it was bone stock, including the E25 225 S6 with a stump pulling 90 hp. California emission for some reason even though it was bought new right here in Wausau WI.

DSCF0023.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not really sure where to post these. Yep, still a nubie. Got one video of the car (not real good, had just got a the camera) in the garage and one driving on a careful shake down run. Was still afraid to step on it too much at that point, not all the bugs were out yet. Since then I found the tires will break loose at 30 mph in drive with no downshift. Power output? Adequate. Actually it's way more than I ever expected or will probably ever use. The noise you hear until getting to the first garage is the heater fan, doesn't look like it but the temp was like 20 degrees at that time.
Not sure if it's just my DSL and computer or what (it auto selects the lowest quality) but if you click settings on the video and select a higher quality, the picture is much sharper.
http://youtu.be/Mv2BahihypY
http://youtu.be/Fr_ikEYYPE0

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Where you posted them is totally fine.
Resolution is actually pretty good.

God damn man that thing is immaculate.
Just gorgeous.....you did all that work?

DCAspen

Reaction score
Cool videos,I really like the extra chrome on the dash bezel around the gauges,looks like it was some tedious work to do,Gorgeous car,well detailed.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thank you again guys! I mean that! Looking back even I can't believe I did all that work myself Captain but did. As I said, only rechroming the bumpers and machine work on the block and heads were farmed out along with an extra pair of hands to hang the doors. Oh, I had a local radiator shop do the bubble crimps on the A/C lines too.

LOL, I'll have to see if I can find the pic showing how to attach a hood by yourself. It's a heck of a thing!

Oops, found it. Somehow managed to do it without a single scratch. Was going to wait for help but one Sunday in the garage I got it in my mind that the hood had to go on right then so............................

hoodinstall_002.jpg

compubert

Reaction score
Thank you again guys! I mean that! Looking back even I can't believe I did all that work myself Captain but did. As I said, only rechroming the bumpers and machine work on the block and heads were farmed out along with an extra pair of hands to hang the doors. Oh, I had a local radiator shop do the bubble crimps on the A/C lines too.

LOL, I'll have to see if I can find the pic showing how to attach a hood by yourself. It's a heck of a thing!

Oops, found it. Somehow managed to do it without a single scratch. Was going to wait for help but one Sunday in the garage I got it in my mind that the hood had to go on right then so............................

Nice rig, sometimes you can't wait. Used to yank the trans out of mine alone in the driveway (7 clutches and I got a method developed) - BEAUTIFUL car sir!

Back