New to this forum & get rid of Lean Burn?

dipin87

Reaction score
I have question for all you M body experts. Does anyone have pictures of what is removed from an 87 Diplomat when getting rid of the Leanburn system. The plan is to get a electronic ignition convertion kit and a Carter two barrel. I need to know what can be unhook and unplugged from the factory intake. My sons car is a 87 Diplomat that we picked up a little over a year ago with only 59,000 miles on it. I thinks it got about every bells and whistles you could probably get on them back then and that includes a factory sunroof. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Mroldart2u

Reaction score

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but why would I want to remove the Lean Burn from my '82 Cordoba?

IF its working as designed, you wouldn't, unless of course you are wanting to do upgrades performance wise, then the L.B. stystem would have to go.. You have to remember, the L.B. system was Mopars first attempt @ "computer control" and even when the cars were relativily new it was a crap piece of "engineering". They are NON servicable and were N/A a LONG LONG time ago. Even the line mechanics, service writers hated the system back then. As I stated above if its working, leave it be... (for now) Its only a matter of time...

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Just a question I thought I'd toss out here . Anyone tried to do a coversion GM to mopar distributor swap ?

Not for sure what you actually mean... Are you talking a GM style cap,rotor,coil,and module? DUI (Davis Unified Ignitions) offers a DUI for Fords (Gm style dist) But am not for sure if they do the same for Chryslers. The thread I posted IS a gm module controlling the dist and coil, Just not in a 1 piece fixes all as in a dist drop in. and on the RB the wat the dist is positioned I dont know if a GM style would work.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
you actually take a GM distrbutor for a 3 different GM motors and use them . It does require some machining , but not to either particpant . Done it several times . Really wakes the teen up .

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Thanks, Mrolddart2u. Fortunately, I have a spare LB computer, stashed away in my basement so I should be good for a while. I've got over 300,000 miles on the car.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My old 79 unit on my Medallion still works fine. No point worrying about it right now for a DD. If I wanted a little more performance, I'd to the ignition swap and a 4bbl.

I've haven't had a unit go sour since a 78 Cordoba over 20 yrs ago.

Back