Noob here just joined

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It isn't easy; the bolt pattern is the easiest (by far) to address. The offset needs to be carefully and properly addressed if the suspension is to come anywhere near working properly (=very custom, and probably very expensive spacers/adapters). Even with all of that, I still don't think you can get anything bigger than an 18" wheel (more than likely 17" ) inside a stock rear drive Mopar. With an aftermarket suspension system (front) and tubbed and narrowed rear, you have a lot more room, but that is a lot of money for minimal gain.

To my eye, older cars with really big wheels don't look right anyway.

65 Dartman

Reaction score
View attachment 11595so I made this in Photoshop while waiting on a client at the tattoo shop. Since this is the shop car I decided I want to find some SRT10 factory rims and slap them on being a straight match. Not a DONK, but tucking these under the fenders, didnt have time to show that on Photoshop...so, keep it 100% original, go with this concept, or flatblack it and go kinda a ratrod theme..keep in mind this is for a tattoo shop.

You know how I feel about this!

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I wouldn't drive in a M/F/J with forced on wheels and I wouldn't buy one that had them on.
I would consider it 'bad' junk and a pass.
Just my opinion.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ultimately it's your car.
But I've always thought the big rim thing always looked so wrong on an older car.

I think 15's with big rubber is the way to go myself.

Doc.....
You should post your Lebaron.
You've got a nice setup going on.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Pic?
Need a longer message.

Lebaron.jpg

Lebaron29.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
i had this discussion about a '55 Chevy. The car had 20" wheels, with 35 aspect ratio rubber all around. I talked to the owner, who is nice guy, but liket to have others build this cars (this is just for context, not judging)/ The car has bodywork and a point job that not even the GM designers got as straight in their concept drawings. Getting back on topic, I siad to him, straight out that the wheels are out of place oh that car. He said the car had a Corvette chassis underneath, and those were the standard sized Corvette wheels. I then pointed out that the '55 Chevy was never designed to look good with 20" wheels, and the ratio of rubber sidewall to polished rim was wrong aesthetically, and that he should take the wheels down to 17", 16", or even back down to 15". He said that he liked the look and the handling. His father in law, (the guy with the fuel injected '51 Mercury hot rod that I have written about before) walked over and said that he agreed with me. I guess it all comes down to what looks good to you, may not look good to others. Vastly oversized wheels just look stupid, not to mention the suspension and braking issues that come with them, along wth the cracked/bent rims when you have aspect ratios below about 45. You need to have some significant amount of sidewall on the older cars. With modern cars, not so much.

Back