Oil for my 318.

Rustyroger

Reaction score
I don't want to wreck or prematurely wear out my engine because of something I didn't know.
But I feel I may be seeing bogeymen behind every tree here. i doubt the car will see 2000 miles before the oil will be changed anyway, and synthetic oil seems maintain a film better than old fashioned mineral oil, so I will simply put in expensive fully synthetic because I beieve it will be cheaper long term.

Roger.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Greetings Roger!

You are on the right track with your full synthetic thoughts. I only run, and have run for 30 years, in all of my old cars Amsoil 0w30 full synthetic motor oil.

There are those who will say this was not the oil of the day when these cars were built, but they are mistaken, because Amsoil began producing the full synthetic product in the early 70's. I have personally seen it save several of my own engines.

There was an earlier comment by one of our esteemed colleagues who said that it did not matter where oil was made, that is not true. If there was no Amsoil, you could not pay me enough to run a Pennsylvania crude oil. There is to much paraffin in that oil. Take an engine apart that has been run on PA crude. The internals of the engine all appear to be encased in plastic. I have actually pulled a plastic paraffin mold out of an oil pan once.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
When I said oil of the day, I wasn't speaking about synthetic vs. conventional. What I was talking about was the ZDDP content. When our cars were designed, the oil of the day (conventional or synthetic) had a ZDDP content of 1000 PPM, give or take, and was a required part of the SAE grade of the day. The engines in our cars were designed around that amount of ZDDP content, so the curvature on the end of lifter, the amount of pressure the hydraulics of the lifter exerted, and even the cam lobe shape were designed assuming that there would be ZDDP in the amounts specified by the SAE grade requirements. Move ahead 20-25 years. Research/environmental assessment/investigation/etc. comes to the conclusion that ZDDP is a major contributor to premature catalytic convertor failure, so the SAE SH and later grades started to reduce the ZDDP content. Not really an issue, since newer cars were using roller hydraulic lifters, so the need for ZDDP was vastly reduced. Just fine for any roller hydraulic lifters equipped engine. Not so for cars that were designed with the assumption that a much higher level of ZDDP would be present (almost all of our cars, aside from the late M bodies that had hydraulic roller lifters). Unless modified, they still have lifter and cam designs that assumed ZDDP would be present in the 1000 PPM level. As I said before, modern off the shelf oil, either conventional or synthetic, doesn't have ZDDP at this level. I would like to find the high ZDDP level Amsoil synthetic locally, but haven't been able to do so as of yet. So I will go with Lucas Hot Rod oil, which does have the required ZDDP level, although it is a conventional oil.

Last edited:

Rustyroger

Reaction score
So perhaps find a high ZDDP synthetic, or are there reputable additives out there?. I would source them from the UK, importing motor oil would be ludicrously expensive.

I think subjects like oil, spark pugs, wheels and tires, and which exhaust to use will demonstrate that not only are there conflicting opinions around, but that sometimes they can both be right simultaneously, even though a holder of one view would rather gouge his own eyes out than adopt another method. :)
I'm not trying to stir up conflict, but the more information I have the better my final decision is likely to be.

Roger.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Amsoil, as I have written before, does make a high ZDDP content synthetic oil. If you can find it locally, it would probably be the best choice. I cannot find it locally, so I am going with the Lucas Hot Rod oil. The Lucas Hot Rod oil, while having the desired high ZDDP content is conventional oil. It isn't as cheap as regular conventional motor oil, but the added protection for the camshaft lobes/lifters is what was the over-riding concern for me, and I am willing to pay a little bit more for it.

I don't know if there are other synthetic oils with high ZDDP content; there very well could be, but if so, I haven't heard of them. Even more, I have no idea of what is available in the UK.

We do share the same aversion to having oil shipped in. I do have multiple locations locally that carry the Lucas Hot Rod oil, but none that seem to carry the Amsoil high ZDDP content synthetic oil.

Rustyroger

Reaction score
It seems Total classic 5w40 will satisfy my requirements. Available over the counter at my local parts store for £who cares?. :)

Roger.

Back