Ok F Nerds

XfbodyX

Reaction score
This

1 - Copy.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
In early 76 Chrysler developed photoelastic stamping analysis to look at the stretch of a stamped, pressed part. A seemingly complicated process back then.

One thing I love on our F-s is the although cheap, easily scuffed, ect is the moldings, trim. Especially the nos junk as it shows the stretch and the hues of the anodized process. Ive noticed the headlight buckets really show the stretch.

My nos 76 duster bezels dont show like the F-s do, more of a hard stamp with a shine vs a big stretch of the material. Of course im sure this isnt F specific as id bet other 76 or??? parts were the same and if you look at some of the ford stuff the mfg. process seems to be the same.

Is there any huge connection to Chrysler developing this process and other things, not sure.

I took some pics of a nos 76 bucket and enhanced them a bit for kicks to show the stretch that I love to see so much on some of our parts.

Im into facts, not pixie dust, unicorns, big foot so other then wondering if there might be a slight connection ( I came to the conclusion there is due to the batch of pictures involved with this one) but who knows.

I know if I tried I could do better on the pics, but it was late and I was just up cleaning and dicking around.

But id rather think it was more about things like the stamped/pressed unibody parts.

So either dig it or YAWN, I think its all pretty cool.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
What was understood in the bodyshop was the parts we received from the manufacturers were seconds, parts that have flaws. In some cases rubber fillers that had been painted and installed and removed and put in new packaging. This is one reason why I don't get to excited about NOS parts. Every dealership had parts that they couldn't return to Chysler but it sure gets sold as NOS....

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive heard tales of both, I do go through alot of NOS parts to of gotten a room full of perfect nos parts.

Its odd though because some particular nos parts if still in the package are a no brainer on being perfect, others you can count on 1 in 5, maybe 1 in 10 to be flawless, Ive always loved the challenge, the nos guys dont like me though, I give them grief.

Some of the quality is also date specific, if they are parts made in 76 or late 75 most are golden if stored right as they had to fill the parts depots, and then some made up into the late 80-s are good and even some made after the fact by a different vendor (the part has the org. vendor number scratched out of the mold).

Yea, a jacked nos part isnt worth much more then a really really good used or early take off.

With so much storage wear it is hard to find good nos parts but many times its a better core part to restore vs used thats been in the elements for 40 years.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
As far as headlamp bezels go you need to remember that parts get made from a stamping, three years used the same part. How much maintenance do you thing Chrysler or whoever made the parts gave the stampings making the parts once the cars were out of production? Back then parts stayed I production/availability 1 to 8 years after the car did.
Also quality wasn't job one at Chrysler in the late 70s early 80s.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here are some normal pic of the same bezel, its exactly as it should be.

A bit of packing glue on it still. But im not gonna hurt my lungs till needed.

Speaking more on stampings im sure you have seen the same thing on body stamp and fender tags, some of the lesser used (letter/numbers) ones can make a tag look off or fake but its just less commonly used.

DSC03592.JPG

DSC03593.JPG

Oldiron440

Reaction score
In 1988 I started working on my Volare, I replaced both quarter's and the grill and park lamps with new parts. Mopar had less that 6 of each panel in the parts nation. I wish I had gotten the hood moldings.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
About 1984 is when all the Chinese parts showed up, at that time you could get hood grill and fenders for a Volare.
None of the parts were worth a shit.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I wish I had gotten the hood moldings.

Martin, AZ parts still has the hood moldings.

Thats funny you mention China, I took a front pair of front fender side marker lights off one just last week and although in good shape and nice that got that dang lil china sticker on the back.

Ive never had trouble with the Federal type parts either.

Ele115

Reaction score
Chrysler's quality was pretty bad long before the F-body. My 70 AAR is an example of what some of the highest paid American engineers and union assembly line workers built when Detroit was at the top of the world. It's shoddy. I love the car, but I couldn't see it lasting 10 years of reqular use. Huge areas that didn't get painted, very poor fit of many many critical parts. The interior especially. That console is crap! The dash doesn't fit. Overall it looks great, but when you've owned a car a long time you see and hear everything. This has never been apart, it's all original so unless I unscrew something, the last person in there was on the assembly line. The drive train is however VERY tight and smooth with no sounds or vibrations. EXCEPTIONAL ! I would say my 72 Runner/Gtx was some of the worst quality I ever experienced. My 71 was quite good! Consistency!

Back