Orginal owner cars

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just something I thought of tonight. Does anyone else know a car bought new and still owned by the same person?

My dad comes to mind. In 1962 he married my mother and they bought a new car first thing. A 1962 Plymouth Fury 2 dr hardtop. Five years later they bought a new 1968 Dodge Coronet (4dr sedan). Original plan in '62 was to keep the Fury 5 years and trade it in but by '68 they needed 2 cars so they bought the Coronet outright. Unfortunately my mother passed away in 2009 from a long illness (MS). Never thought I'd see the day but in 2012 he bought a brand new Charger.

He bought 3 new cars in his life and still owns all 3 of them! He and my mother dated in an almost new car. It was a '59 Plymouth he bought with 6,000 miles on it (dealer demo). BTW, he has NEVER owned anything but Mopar. Hemi DeSoto's, then Plymouths, then Dodges. His dad was an Mopar only guy too, starting with his first new car, a 1916 Dodge Brothers. My dad's 85 and still going strong too. LOL, sometimes I think he's in better shape than I am!

So, any others? I always love stories like these.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Unfortunately the closest I have to that is the Volare which I bought from the original owner....

You realize that I now need to see whatever pictures you have of the cars you just spoke of....

Aspen500

Reaction score
Actually, I have no pics right now. The ones I did have are gone, when the old computer crashed for the last time.
I'm going over to visit this evening and I'll try and get some. The Fury is cosmetically challenged. Not really any rust but the paint is long past it's use by date. The Coronet is rough. Too many Wisconsin winters. All 4 sub frame rails have been replaced, along with the t-bar x-=member and rear spring mounts. He built them from 1/8" flat stock and, being the perfectionist he is, you can't tell them from originals. Every detail, right down to the same holes, flanges, etc. Of course, the Charger is like new yet.
He's also got a '62 Valiant V200 and a '74 Gold Duster but both of them are basically parts cars now. Again, the dreaded WI rot. He's been talking about getting rid of the Duster and Valiant, and possibly the Coronet (although he's not sure about that one yet). Realizes he's never going to do anything with those cars anymore. The Valiant hasn't been driven in probably 20 years now, the Duster at least 10 years. Wants to continue the Fury project. The drivetrain is completely restored on it. Needs body and interior though.

The plans for the cars got put on hold because my mother had that awful disease called MS. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. For 20 years he had to do more and more to take care of her, and the last few years she was with us, he spent almost all his time taking care of her. Through all of it, he never left her side, right up until the end when she was at home in Hospice care for 2 weeks. That's what's called true love even after 46 years of marriage. That's why he's not sure about getting rid of the Coronet. He and my mother ordered it together and, like the Fury, it reminds him of her. Sorry, didn't mean to get all mushy here!

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Although my cars weren't originally bought by me I did get to both hear and visibly see the background on two of them.
The Volare was bought from the original owner and you could tell he loved that car. He wasn't real handy with engines and I had to fix a lot of things, the paint is tired but you could tell throughout the sale that he was going to miss the car.

My Caravelle.....I think I'm the third owner??
That car was in pretty rough shape when I got it. It sat in a parking lot outside....The old guy couldn't drive anymore. I've told the story on here before of how I brought it back to show him when I finished fixing it up and it floored him and his wife started crying she was so happy to sit it looking new again..

Aspen500

Reaction score
Close as I've gotten is being the second owner of both vehicles I own now. The Aspen I bought when the original owner traded it in on a new Taurus in 1987 when it had 72,000 miles. The '96 Dakota I bought in 1998 with 48,000 miles (now 150,000). Only "owners" between me and the original is the Chicago Auto Auction and the used car dealer I bought it from. Ironically, the Dakota is parked in the same lot every weekday as it sat in when I bought it. Back then, the shop where I work also had a guy renting space to sell used cars at the time. There hasn't been car sales there for a few years though (and never will be again!).

All the other cars I've owned in the past 35 or so years, no idea. I could have been the second owner, could have been the 10th, lol!

I do remember back in the mid '80's or so, you'd see a 1938 Ford Coupe driving around in good weather. It was unrestored but great condition. There was always an elderly man and woman in it. One day I found out he was the original owner and the darn thing had almost 200,000 miles on it! Shows what meticulous maintenance can do. Well that and I guess when WI started using road salt in the '40's, it never saw winter again, hence little to no rust. They both probably passed away 25 years ago. Wonder what happened to the car? Hope someone didn't street rod it and put a SBC under the hood or something stupid like that.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The old guy who sold me the Caravelle only did so because as he said....."I know you'll look after it". Cursed!!...

My original plan was to drive the piss out of it as a beater.
Yeah right.....now it's my ongoing money pit.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Unfortunately the closest I have to that is the Volare which I bought from the original owner....

You realize that I now need to see whatever pictures you have of the cars you just spoke of....

OK, here ya go. About time, right?!

As I said, the Fury is "cosmetically challenged" and the Coronet is beyond just challenged. Poor car..........I remember riding in it on the way home from the dealership when I was about 4 years old, looking back and seeing my mom following in the Fury.

Pay no attention to my dad's house and it's current appearance, it's in the process of being refurbished. Both the house and the yard.

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have no plans for them, hopefully not for a few years yet. My dad wants to get the Fury looking better with some body work and paint, probably rechrome the bumpers. I can restore the stainless trim for him but a lot of it is die cast and pitted and that's not exactly cheap to get redone and redone properly. Some of the trim isn't on the car right now.
The Coronet? Up in the air. He may just patch it up some or he may get rid of it. Undecided. One thing I'm fairly sure of though is he's going to get rid of the '62 Valiant and the '74 Gold Duster. Both have had the structure replaced (subframe rails, t-bar crossmember, etc) over the years but (IMO) the body rot is beyond reasonable repair on both of them. The Valiant doesn't run anymore, been sitting for at least idle for over 20 years, maybe more. It needs 1/4,s, trunk lid, hood, fenders, all 4 doors, floors, bumpers, engine overhaul, interior......................Aside from the engine the Duster is about the same condition. One cool thing is the original 225 out of my Aspen is under the hood of the Duster. Back when the Duster was a LOT less rusted around 1989 the 225 in the Duster cracked a cylinder wall and was eating coolant. As fate would have it, I had just pulled the engine from my Aspen for the swap and had it yet. Plus it only had 76,000 miles on it at the time (the Aspen that is) where the Duster was over double that miles. Anyways, I'd call them both parts cars at this point.

The '12 Charger isn't going anywhere of course. It's only got 3,600 miles on it so far and he tries to avoid driving it when the roads are sloppy in winter and if it's raining he waits (if possible) to go anywhere when it's not raining.

As I said, hope it's not for quite a few years yet but when the day does come, the Fury will be in my garage and more than likely the Charger will end up over in Minneapolis in my brothers garage. With my dad's health he should be around for a long time to come (turns 86 this coming August). I mean, he just bought a new 12 speed bicycle to ride so he's doing good!

As I mentioned in the original post, main reason the Fury and Coronet (and the house) got to the state they're in was he took care of my mother as her MS got worse and worse over a period of 20 years, until she passed away from it in 2009. The cars and house kind of got pushed to the bottom of the priority list. He never asked for help and if asked if he needed help always said "No, I'm fine, got it handled" and never left her side. Best dad ever and had the best mom ever. I never heard them argue a single time, they never yelled at me or my brother, always happy and smiling, never got the "because I said so, that's why". We always got a no with an explanation of why they said no, etc. Couldn't have asked for better parents. Sorry for going off topic!

Last edited:

dodger roger

Reaction score
just bought a 1980 chrysler cordoba from the original owner 92,340 kms white with red velour interior a very nice match for my 81 mirada that my wife bought in 1986 . ironically jerry the original owner of the cordoba knew my mother my uncle and myself 50 years ago the cordoba was built september 07 1979 purchased october 31 1979

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
just bought a 1980 chrysler cordoba from the original owner 92,340 kms white with red velour interior a very nice match for my 81 mirada that my wife bought in 1986 . ironically jerry the original owner of the cordoba knew my mother my uncle and myself 50 years ago the cordoba was built september 07 1979 purchased october 31 1979

We obviously need pics.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have no plans for them, hopefully not for a few years yet. My dad wants to get the Fury looking better with some body work and paint, probably rechrome the bumpers. I can restore the stainless trim for him but a lot of it is die cast and pitted and that's not exactly cheap to get redone and redone properly. Some of the trim isn't on the car right now.
The Coronet? Up in the air. He may just patch it up some or he may get rid of it. Undecided. One thing I'm fairly sure of though is he's going to get rid of the '62 Valiant and the '74 Gold Duster. Both have had the structure replaced (subframe rails, t-bar crossmember, etc) over the years but (IMO) the body rot is beyond reasonable repair on both of them. The Valiant doesn't run anymore, been sitting for at least idle for over 20 years, maybe more. It needs 1/4,s, trunk lid, hood, fenders, all 4 doors, floors, bumpers, engine overhaul, interior......................Aside from the engine the Duster is about the same condition. One cool thing is the original 225 out of my Aspen is under the hood of the Duster. Back when the Duster was a LOT less rusted around 1989 the 225 in the Duster cracked a cylinder wall and was eating coolant. As fate would have it, I had just pulled the engine from my Aspen for the swap and had it yet. Plus it only had 76,000 miles on it at the time (the Aspen that is) where the Duster was over double that miles. Anyways, I'd call them both parts cars at this point.

The '12 Charger isn't going anywhere of course. It's only got 3,600 miles on it so far and he tries to avoid driving it when the roads are sloppy in winter and if it's raining he waits (if possible) to go anywhere when it's not raining.

As I said, hope it's not for quite a few years yet but when the day does come, the Fury will be in my garage and more than likely the Charger will end up over in Minneapolis in my brothers garage. With my dad's health he should be around for a long time to come (turns 86 this coming August). I mean, he just bought a new 12 speed bicycle to ride so he's doing good!

As I mentioned in the original post, main reason the Fury and Coronet (and the house) got to the state they're in was he took care of my mother as her MS got worse and worse over a period of 20 years, until she passed away from it in 2009. The cars and house kind of got pushed to the bottom of the priority list. He never asked for help and if asked if he needed help always said "No, I'm fine, got it handled" and never left her side. Best dad ever and had the best mom ever. I never heard them argue a single time, they never yelled at me or my brother, always happy and smiling, never got the "because I said so, that's why". We always got a no with an explanation of why they said no, etc. Couldn't have asked for better parents. Sorry for going off topic!

Thank you.
You and I could no doubt swap war stories over some adult beverages. I love the Fury. All those crazy smaller Exner cars were so cool.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Don't forget those pics.

BHA43

Reaction score
I missed this thread till today? 43 #1 bought new survived 2 divorces and still have original title in my name only. 19 K on it.

Copy of Phil's Toys.jpg

Copy of Phil's Toys.jpg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I missed this thread till today? 43 #1 bought new survived 2 divorces and still have original title in my name only. 19 K on it.

View attachment 10193

LOL! You've got me beat. I only survived ONE divorce to keep mine. I've told my current wife (current?) to bury me in this baby!

Greg

Back