Power steering delete

bruue1

Reaction score
If I want to get rid of my power steering bin my 1980 Dodge Aspen, can I just buy a manual steering box? Will it bolt right in in place of the power steering box? Or do I need other pieces? Thanks.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
The two steering boxs have different input shaft lengths and therefore the column down rods are also different. In your case, you will need a column with a longer shaft .
Otherwise, they both bolt on to the same mounting pad.
Additionally, when you go to buy your manual box, you need it to also fit on your pitman arm as there were at least two different sizes. As I recall; Pre-73 Chrysler boxes have a small spline, and 73-up is a larger one.

My question tho is why?

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can also get a steering shaft adapter and keep the original p.s. intermediate shaft.

[/URL]

dcc-4510637_w.jpg

bruue1

Reaction score
Good to know.
Why? I wouldn't mind having less stuff bolted onto my little engine and less stuff in the engine compartment, i.e. the power steering pump.

Also, maybe more importantly, the power steering on this 1980 aspen is extremely soft, like all stock Dodge Aspens, I know about the firm feel boxes, I'm just thinking switching to manual steering might be the best option.

I think the police models had a different steering box that is supposed to feel a little better and more responsive, I know of a 1980 Aspen police car about 12 hours from my house that someone has offered to let me strip for whatever I want from the front end. I might make that drive.

At the end of the day, I'm extremely cheap and will probably do nothing and just stick with what I got. But I am thinking about options.

I'm glad to know I'd need that adapter/extender. Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
The adapter would be easier than coming up with a manual steering shaft. I've had cars with manual steering and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not a fan. My 1st car, in 1981, was a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe, 383, 4-speed with quite a few other options but one of them wasn't power steering. Driving down the road it was fine but turning a corner built up the arm muscles, along with being so many turns lock to lock. Being a 4-speed, you can't always use both hands to turn. Turning while sitting still? Um, darn near impossible. The other wasn't too bad as it was a lot lighter a car. It was a '66 Dart 2 dr sedan with exactly one option, the 225 S/6 instead of the std 170. Even sitting still, it wasn't all that hard to turn the wheel. It had smaller, skinnier tires than the Barracuda and also weighed over 1,000 lbs less though. I weighed both of them at one point, Barracuda 3,790 lbs, Dart 2,650. you're car would be somewhere in between.

What I mean is, before you decide, make sure it's what you really want.

bruue1

Reaction score
My car is right around 3200-3300 pounds, I'm pretty sure.

I had a 1947 Ford F2 with a manual double clutch transmission and obviously manual steering. It was a reliable runner with the original flathead V8. Had an 8 foot bed. I had that truck for a couple years, spent one summer using it to go to and from Menards. Talk about fun to steer, LOL.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My '77 wagon (318 automatic and no A/C, but other wise no other options) "feels" like it weighs 3300-3400 pounds.
The P/S is way over assisted - but I doubt I will remove it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
My Volare stone stock plain jane stripper was 3500 lbs. Manual steering is ok for a vehicle with skinny front wheels and tires. If your going to a fast ratio box that will increase input effort needed the same for wide front tires.
If your planning on fast turns keep the power steering...

Back