Power Steering Pump

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Well i think some things are just to far entrenched in society to change, I don't think its common to USA, NZ ain't perfect either, NZ went decimal currency in 1967 but not sure when it went officially metric, I suspect somewhere around the same time. Anyway my water pump, speedo cable, alternator rebuild kit, idler and tensioner pulleys, Serpentine belt, freeze plugs are all at my friends place in SC, hopefully tomorrow the 32 tooth speedo gear will arrive and then he can ship it all out to me and that will be the front of the motor sorted. When I rebuild the alternator I will clean up the alternator and that will look good then!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
8002fd94a.jpg

A P/S pump seal kit comes with the red (and brown) arrow parts (can easily fit inside an envelope).

The main pump shaft seal is not normally a commonly leaky part (brown arrow) and takes a bit of work to replace.
The red arrow seals, are commonly leaky items, and are fairly easy to replace (can be done with pulley and front bracket still attached to pump).
The red arrows with purple dot inside fit inside the can which seals off the two studs (purple arrows).
The fitting (green arrow) is the part that is the same if SAE or Metric – EXCEPT for the portion the P/S line screws into.

To remove the can (reservoir), a person needs to have the back bracket removed (if present), remove the two studs (purple arrow) and fitting (green arrow).
The can will pop right off with light tapping.
I call it a can because if “feels” like it is made less sturdy than a tin can used for beans (or corn, or whatever). The can is able to take a lot of damage, but once removed – it just "feels" flimsy.
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It gets more than a little bit confusing around the US/Canada border. When I was living in Montreal, we had a lot of college/university frat boys coming up from Boston on long weekends and during the summer. Had more than one conversation with those guys about speed limits ("You guys can do 100 while we can only do 55" was a common one), then you mix in the French wording on road signs ("I'm looking for a bridge to go home. I don't see anything with directions to a bridge"), and how drunk they got last night on only 8 beers (Canadian mass market beer starts at about 4.5% alcohol content, and tops out at about 5.7-5.9%, US beer it 2-3%. Small brewery/artisinal beer in Montreal is 9-12%). The frat boys were generally ready to fall down after 3-4 beers, whereas they could drink 8-10 in the same time in Boston.

The Imperial system was pretty entrenched throughout the world via the British Empire for hundreds of years. Yet all of the former British colonies and the UK went Metric long ago. Nothing wrong with either system, just a question of what you are used to.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bruce, I'd be happy to do that.
Just need to find how much postage would be.
The seal kit is several O-rings and a seal, which is a bit bigger than your thumb - so an envelope with a piece of paper wrapped around the seals should work fine.

For some odd reason, it is cheaper to purchase a pump seal kit, than it is just for the shaft seal (which comes in the kit). The seal doesn’t leak as often as the seals do, anyway.

The O-rings get hard and shrink - if not break apart. Most of the ones I work on that are 20+ years old, I have to use a small screwdriver, or a pick, to get all of the can O-ring pieces out, with.

Note: I use a 90 degree angle pick to remove old O-rings with. I also put a bit of new fluid (whatever fluid that system uses) in a small metal dish. I then either dip the entire or part of O-ring and then take my fingers to make sure O-ring is quite lubricated (I think is a key to a good O-ring install). Roll O-ring into its place. Then take a fingertip and add more fluid onto the O-ring again before pushing the two parts together. If it doesn’t push together smoothly and easily – then stop. Take apart and re-examine everything.

I have had way too many O-rings damaged or cut upon install, in my lifetime. A bit of patience, and if it doesn’t go smoothly, then something will be tore up – and stop before going any father!

If pump is off and on the bench. I can change out the can out and reseal it, in about 5-10 minutes. That is if I leave the front shaft seal alone. There will be evidence and a good size fresh oil trail from the shaft seal – if that item is leaking (which is not likely).
The shaft seal takes special tools and takes about another 30 minutes to change, roughly.

The can removal will be an oily/greasy job.
I recommend getting a couple blocks of wood and some scrap cardboard.
Set pump on top of cardboard with lid upright.
Remove rear bracket nuts (if applicable).
Loosen the fitting and remove carefully.
Tilt pump backwards (tilting pulley side up) watching for any small shims and/or a ball bearing to fall out of the fitting hole.
Remove the two studs and make note on which direction they go into pump.
Place pump pulley on two blocks of wood, pulley side down.
Gently tap the can upwards.
There might be a small amount of residual fluid inside the can, possibly, that might pour out.
Replace the large O-ring and two O-rings/seals for studs – using plenty of P/S fluid for lube.
Place can back on top of pump but don’t push on, yet.
Thread both studs and fitting (with new O-ring/seal) in place by a thread, or two (include any shim(s) and ball bearing – present).
Gently push can downwards.
If it takes more than a gentle and smooth push, take can back off and make sure can O-ring is on correctly. It should pop right in place.
Finger tighten the two studs and fitting.
Place pump back in an upright position and remove wood blocks.
Tighten studs and fitting.
Reattach rear bracket(s), if applicable.

Your existing P/S pump will have two rear brackets (one might stay on engine). The Magnum pump might not have or use a rear bracket.
The front bracket(s) and pulley can remain in place – unless you are changing the shaft seal.

Again, I would use the fitting and can from existing pump and transfer to Magnum pump – because the return hose inlet will be in different direction (clock position) – and to replace those can seals to reduce a very possible pump leak.
That pump is a good design – but after 20 years or so, those O-rings just give out.
BudW

Back