Power Steering

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I removed the smog pump off my car the other day, last night I had the hood open and noticed the power steering pump belt looked way off line, well it was a mile off, I didn't have enough time to look at it and then this morning I had a closer look and noticed the power steering pump was on an angle and then I saw the bottom off the bracket by the harmonic balancer had no bolt in it, see pic can anyone post a photo of what it is suppose to look like so I can make a part or even if someone has the missing part I could buy?

power_steer.jpg

ps2.jpg
ps3.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

power_steer.jpg

ps2.jpg

ps3.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
This might help(?) It's from the '79 parts catalog.

Appears what you're missing is the long bolt and spacer (#7 and #10). Think I see the triangular piece in your photos.

DSCF0003.jpg

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
yup I suspected, what can I use for a spacer a piece of pipe, the spacer is just to stop it all pulling together, any idea of bolt length?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Maybe I've been hit in the head with too many driveshafts but yours looks the same as mine. Mine is actually bolted to the block in two places and it looks like yours is too unless that rear bolt is missing....I can't really see in that picture.

20150324_191541.jpg

20150324_191541.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I will try and get another look at it tonight, can't use the car with belt so off line, from my top view you can see the angle the power steer pump is on. its not in the most easiest place to see! Thanks for all the photos and advice! The car looks to have had a new water pump on it at some stage, also where should the temp gauge sit on those cars, mine comes up to the first mark, is that normal? Heater gets hot.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
yup I suspected, what can I use for a spacer a piece of pipe, the spacer is just to stop it all pulling together, any idea of bolt length?
No need to change any bolts or spacers.
When the water pump was replaced, the triangle bracket wasnt installed properly.
Rotate the triangle upwards.
You will have to remove the water pump bolts , make sure your cooling system isnt pressurized when you are doing this.

DSC02496.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
your power steer bracket looks the same, but I have that funny I dunno what you call it, unequal spacer thing, if I put those 2 pieces together like that the spacer won't work, it looks like its only as thick for one piece of steel to go under it, hmmmm hope you can understand how I mean.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from your pic but after looking at mine....yes....that other piece is part of the spacing.
Without it being included in the spacing I can see your pump maybe being cockeyed?....

20150325_182146.jpg

20150325_182245.jpg

20150325_182146.jpg

20150325_182245.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
From what I can tell, the brackets and mounting are different between with air pump and w/o air pump. In the picture, #8 is for w/o air pump only and #3 (the triangle) has 2 p/n's (one for w/pump, one for without air pump) They also list different bolts for each version.
Anyways: #3 318/360 with air pump in p/n 4006843 and without air pump is 2951747
As far as with or without A/C, doesn't look to be any difference for V-8

Bruceynz

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from your pic but after looking at mine....yes....that other piece is part of the spacing.
Without it being included in the spacing I can see your pump maybe being cockeyed?....

View attachment 9762

View attachment 9763

Ok I see what I have to do now, I will spin that triangle thing up and bolt it up as per your one, yes my pump is cockeyed alright, I stopped using the car as soon as I saw it, its a problem when someone else pulls it apart and doesn't put it back together right, hmmmmmmm thanks for all your help everyone, you guys are awesome!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
If you look at my first photo with the red arrow you can see that the unequal bracket is on an angle(not parallel to the water pump), when I look at it from the top its not has easy to see, I got a drill bit last night to try an measure it, at the top I can push it between but and the bottom I can't so it is on an angle, hope you know how I mean :) Will try and get to it over the weekend, its going to drop a bit of water while I do it, just put new antifreeze in it a couple weeks back, grrrrr

Bruceynz

Reaction score
its no big deal I will just fill it with water, its leaking out a freeze plug, drops about pint over a couple weeks so I need to pull the engine out, just waiting until I get all my parts so I can do everything at once on the engine stand.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok lost a bit of water, just takes time to get the bolts in and out and trying to hold your finger over the hole, you know how it goes you guys have all been there :) I had to put a couple spacer washers at the top and while I was at it took the air pump mount off. Looks good now, all lined up, see pic. Thanks Bruce

power_steer.jpg

power_steer.jpg

Back