Problems with turn switch cancelling cam on Dodge Aspen 1977

1337m4723

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Hopefully you're all doing well!

Finally I can give you some feedback on the cancel cams.
Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to test the installation of the GM aftermarket spare part.

It looks pretty much the same except for the quality of the plastic. The original plastic seems to be much stronger than the new one - lol.
It fit really well in the column.

I haven't been able to test drive it yet, so I can't give a final review.
But for now, I would say that the GM cancel cams are good replacements.

See the pictures.

Best

Matze

IMG_20220213_124906.jpg

IMG_20220213_124924.jpg

IMG_20220213_124933.jpg

Last edited:

volare 1977

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. Interesting, as far as the quality. Are you sure it is a GM part or a aftermarket replacement? I would think a actual GM part would have been the same good quality.

1337m4723

Reaction score
I haven't been able to test drive it yet, so I can't give a final review.
But for now, I would say that the GM cancel cams are good replacements.
Hello guys,
I finally could test drive the car with the cancelling cam. It works pretty good. I don't feel a difference. The switch flashes and also stops automatically and the horn contact is firmly seated. The horn also works.

Thank you again for your help!

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It makes sense it works since it's essentially the same column that gm used.
I'm not sure when the column change happened but my 79 one was like the 80s ones the truck and older cars were different.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '76-79 steering columns are the same (but Tilt or non-tilt versions). The '80-89 Steering columns are also the same - but Tilt/non-tilt versions. The F & M columns have different mounts than the J-body columns have.
I know the '80-89 columns are built by Saginaw and are mostly the same as what GM used.

I "suspect" the '76-79 columns are as well - but not 100% sure. I "think" the '76-79 columns might be Chrysler design but GM assembled...maybe.
BudW

1337m4723

Reaction score
Thank you both for your answers. This explains a lot and confirms my research findings and experience with the parts, related to the turn signal switches in our 76 Blazer and 77 Aspen.

It's funny how there's no information on the appropriate parts to access in several online shops... They all claim to be THE absolute experts par excellence.
For me, as a German born in 1992, it was really difficult to get the correct information. :D
On top of that, Aspens and Volarés from 76-79 (even later models until LeBarons from ~1983+) are pretty darn rare in Germany and no one really knows about detailed issues like this.
(This may also be due to the fact that I am clumsy and destroy components that normally do not break... lol)

Best
Matze

Back