Pulling my 1983 Mirada from Storage - Ew!

jasperjacko

Reaction score
If you put a skunk in there, that will also mask the mouse smell.

moreada

Reaction score
Thanks... there's now no more mice. I used some things I used after dealing with a musty apartment. There is a product called Moldex. Its a good antifungal, antibacterial and disinfectant cleaner that kills odours. I sprayed and wiped the areas you don't normally see. I am apprehensive about using on the dash still.need to test more. Just a wipe made a large difference. I will try windows up today.

As well, I may wash carpets again and use some moldex as well just to be safe.

Not sure how effective it will be just shampooing seats but we will see. I also have an air cleaner that creates ozone... I am considering using that for a bit as it was what we used on the used car lot to get rid of odours in used cars.

I tried to search here but didn't find much info on brakes? What section do those threads usually go in? Chassis, Suspension and Wheels?

Edit: Carpet is looking quite clean... excuse the dead grass, its windy ;) Can the aluminum panel on the center console be cleaned up with steel wool or is it just painted on?

20150710_155708.jpg

Last edited:

moreada

Reaction score
Is there a thread or a subforum for Brakes? I am assuming i need calipers, rotors, pads and lines, but do not know the part numbers etc. People have told me conflicting things I will need to do. Is there a thread that breaks them down in the same way as the suspension threads with diagrams etc? Thanks

moreada

Reaction score
Thanks. I did some searching and found some of the info I was looking for. Spent a bit of time on Rock Auto pricing bits etc.

I'm gonna look into a Haynes manual or something i think.

moreada

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I wish shipping wasn't as much as the manual tho. Good ole Canada and our fussy dollar haha.

Went to visit a friend who loaned me a proper jack and jackstands. Then went to Crappy Tire and grabbed a few things - oil, filter, oil catch pan, tarp... I have to go to another location to find a fuel filter and also grab coolant. Tomorrow I will swap fluids and hopefully have time to throw my truck battery in and try to turn it over. If it has hope, I will be ordering a buttload of parts to get it to the level of reliability and service it should be at. I have a few friends looking at prices for me on a few things, Rock Auto seems pretty good but they may be able to find something local and cheaper - trying to find the best deal.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Rock Auto should always be compared with exchange and shipping included vs. local. One thing to keep in mind is that the lcoal places may be carrying an inferior quality product (i.e. cheap offshore stuff), so that should be part of the value judgement.

In regards to our cars, I find a lot of times, the local places may have the basics (air and oil filters, for example), fluids, etc, but may not carry some of the more hard core stuff (as in inner wheel bearings), and in many cases either need to order them in, or just won't bother. Locally here, there is a chain called Auto Value. They are much like Parts Source, or Napa, or whatever chains are in the US (Autozone, or Pep Boys). Went to get a serpentine belt for my 2006 Monte Carlo SS (I had just bought the car, so just wanted to change it over so that I had a starting point). Went up to the parts counter, asked for the belt. They said "No". I said that is fine, I can wait until it comes in. They said "No". I asked them what they meant (these guys are actual parts guys, not teenagers working for the summer). They said they didn't have it, not in the store, not in any of their warehouses, so couldn't get them. Next time I made an order with Rock AUto, I ordered one of them in addition to the main order, no problem, and had my choice of which brand as well.

That same order had a pair of headlight lenses for a buddy's 1998 GMC 1500 pickup. The price from Rock Auto was $CAN88, with delivery. The local Pick-N-Pull had them for $50 ea., used.

It pays to look around.

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
Rock Auto has the factory manual, from Bishko, part #680 ($68) and #1041($24) for the supplement. I don't know what the supplement covers, they usually cover mid-year changes and updated procedures.

moreada

Reaction score
RockAuto is shockingly well stocked.

Asked Canadian Tire for a fuel and oil filter yesterday and he had to reboot in DOS just to be able to search. Had to pull the old "try Chrysler Cordoba" line.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Man, sounds like it kinda sucks getting parts in Canada. Either that, or we're just really lucky around here? Weirdest one was a month ago. A 1960 Rambler got towed into the shop where I work with no brakes. Master puking fluid. It still had bottom pivot pedals with the master under the floor. Next door to the shop (actually same parking lot and we own the building it's in) is a CARQUEST. Called over to order a master and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,believe it or not, they walked over with it 5 mintues later. In stock......Why they had it, who knows but they did! Usually if they don't have it, one of the Wausau stores (which are twice as big) 10 -12 miles away will and you'll have it in an hour or so (depending on traffic) or,,,,,,,,,,the main warehouse has it (about 35 mile SE) and before 11am you'll have it around 1pm. After 11am and it'll be there when you get to work in the morning.

Having a CARQUEST 50 yards away from the shop is the best parts dept an auto tech could ever dream of!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
RockAuto is shockingly well stocked.

Asked Canadian Tire for a fuel and oil filter yesterday and he had to reboot in DOS just to be able to search. Had to pull the old "try Chrysler Cordoba" line.

Crappy Tire has totally dropped the ball lately.
For parts I almost always use Napa now.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Ceappy Tire had earned its name. When I was a little kid, they were a car/hardware store that coarried other stuff. Now, they have become a Wal-Mart wannabe (as if that is something to aspire to). Napa, Part Source, and Auto Value (where they exist). even some local one location stores are almost always better. Used to be that the Mastercraft line of tools were decent, good value tools (like Husky, Gray, and Challenger used to be), but now, they are worse than junk. Even the Mastercraft Maximum/Pro lines aren't that great.

moreada

Reaction score
Minor setback yesterday and didnt get lots done. New tip... if you grab a jack and jug of oil, let the oil ride shotgun with you or secure your load.

At least my SUV won't need body oiling this winter!!

moreada

Reaction score
Well I got it to the point I believe it will run. There was a few setbacks, and ive been working lots. Today I will go get some headliner material to redo the roof, and will also order my carpet padding and such so I can get the interior back together... or at least start to put it together haha. Also found a set of 10 spokes for my car... Now I need to decide between white walls or white lettering?

Does the service manual tell me what size screws go where? My tray spilled so its a bit of a crap shoot to find what goes where now.

I threw my truck battery into the car last night and turned the ignition... the storm of mouse droppings and other dust and crap flew out the vents and covered me a bit, but I held strong, and turned the key one more click... CRANKS! Strong sounding and sounds like everything was trying to do what it was supposed to. I will put some gas in it this week and try to get it running. Just need to swap out the fuel filter with that trick daisy chain and do the rad fluid.

I will order parts next week to replace belts, hoses, rad and brakes. Time goes by fast when you dont want it to etc, but am glad I am getting this on the go.

I am waiting on some interior bits. The top of the doors need replacing but that will be a next spring job I think. Worst case scenario, I get it running without an interior and go Nascar style. Just need a sponsor for Daytona ;)

Back