Pulling my 1983 Mirada from Storage - Ew!

Aspen500

Reaction score
And broke! Haha

It's all worth it when you're driving the car down the road though! I sacrificed and put off lots of other things for the car and don't regret it at all. How much do I have in my Aspen? Don't know, and I don't want to know, lol! If I had to guess I'd say $15,000 but it's probably more than that. Yikes................

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You don't wanna know what I have into the Caravelle.
A car that on a good day I'd be lucky to get $4000 for if it was factory mint.

But resale isn't why I've done it.
I love that stupid car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Same here. I'd never get what I have in it but it's not for sale. Next owner will be when I'm 6 feet under. It is, however, insured with Grundy for what it would cost (estimated) to build another one just like it now the same way it was done the first time. Only work I didn't do myself was machine work on the block and guides/seats in the heads and of course, rechroming the bumpers. Well, I do have to give Linda (my "wife") credit also. She actually did some of the parts like the upper control arms for example. If you added in my "labor" you'd at least double what's in it for parts and materials.

Like I said though, it isn't for sale and like most guys, I didn't build it for profit. Built it the way I always wanted it to be since the day I bought it 28 years ago. Well, technically I went way overboard with it and now am afraid to drive it because I might get a paint chip on the suspension or something.

Moreada, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
Well I got it to the point I believe it will run. There was a few setbacks, and ive been working lots. Today I will go get some headliner material to redo the roof, and will also order my carpet padding and such so I can get the interior back together... or at least start to put it together haha. Also found a set of 10 spokes for my car... Now I need to decide between white walls or white lettering?

Does the service manual tell me what size screws go where? My tray spilled so its a bit of a crap shoot to find what goes where now.

I threw my truck battery into the car last night and turned the ignition... the storm of mouse droppings and other dust and crap flew out the vents and covered me a bit, but I held strong, and turned the key one more click... CRANKS! Strong sounding and sounds like everything was trying to do what it was supposed to. I will put some gas in it this week and try to get it running. Just need to swap out the fuel filter with that trick daisy chain and do the rad fluid.

I will order parts next week to replace belts, hoses, rad and brakes. Time goes by fast when you dont want it to etc, but am glad I am getting this on the go.

I am waiting on some interior bits. The top of the doors need replacing but that will be a next spring job I think. Worst case scenario, I get it running without an interior and go Nascar style. Just need a sponsor for Daytona ;)
I live 25 miles from Daytona but I am from Daytona so that should work...! ;-)

Joe12459

Reaction score
You don't wanna know what I have into the Caravelle.
A car that on a good day I'd be lucky to get $4000 for if it was factory mint.

But resale isn't why I've done it.
I love that stupid car.

Yup, I know that feeling! But you can't put a price on the enjoyment we get from building and driving them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yup, I know that feeling! But you can't put a price on the enjoyment we get from building and driving them.

Could not agree with you more! Some guys hobby is boats, or hunting, or 4 wheelers, woodworking, or (fill in the blank). They spend all sorts of money on their hobby for enjoyment so why shouldn't we? That's why it's called a HOBBY, right?

moreada

Reaction score
So its coming along slowly. Today is nice and cool out and may swap out my fuel filter this eve so i can put gas in it tomorrow.

Someone mentioned a daisy chain fuel filter... is this what they meant? If not, how do I correct it?

Scored a set of CMX wheels for $75 off kijiji. Looking a bit worse for wear and no center caps. And considering sanding and bondoing them so I can plastidip them. There's some deep pits etc that I don't think can be sanded out without going beyond my means.

As well, headliner fabric is on order and am looking to fix that leak in my windshield. Is this the correct tool for a Chrysler?

20150807_184949.jpg

20150816_164752.jpg

moreada

Reaction score
That's a good start, Thanks Captain.

As for the trim tool, i can still return it. I am contemplating returning a radiator flush kit I got too. Its Rad Rescue which has the T fitting for your hose to hook into the lines and flush out your coolant. The lack of directions has me apprehensive about trying it. Anyone used a Rad Rescue kit?

The aforementioned wheels i scored for $75 are attached. They're pretty rough. The pits are deep and there were s corrosion on the lips. One wheel has a bit of a spot that may be bent... just not easy to see - maybe its not critical. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach these wheels? Worst case as I said was a fill and paint. I only have $75 into them but can't live with how they look so rough at present. The nicest part is the part you're not supposed to notice haha.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks as always everyone!!

20150818_092824.jpg

20150818_092802.jpg

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I have seen a lot worse when it comes to wheels. For the price, drive them like you stole them. Use them as winter wheels if you cringe at the looks.

moreada

Reaction score
I have seen a lot worse when it comes to wheels. For the price, drive them like you stole them. Use them as winter wheels if you cringe at the looks.

Wait... You drive your car in the winter??? LOL.

Yeah they're not the best or the worst. Just trying to figure out what direction to go. Maybe a 400 grit sand job and work up a bit.

moreada

Reaction score
I changed the fuel filter out... there isn't much room for the daisy chain. Maybe I did it wrong... but its hooked up and can see the clear filter okay, not great, but better than nothing.

I drained my coolant and lo and behold... calcium. Someone used Tap water I guess... not I. I have read CLR or Vinegar. Any recommendations for this? Below is a photo of inside the cap. Thanks as always.

20150819_142624.jpg

Back