Question: 4-speeds with consoles?

Lightning II

Reaction score
Did any F-body 4-speed cars come with a console? Or was the console only available with the automatic?

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I suggest looking at hamtramck-historical.com. They have scans of original dealer sales brochures and other literature like engineering feature brochures. The documents cover muscle cars as well as FMJ cars and trucks through the late 70s.

I looked at that information, and it looks like the console was AT only, but look for yourself.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Auto only,mexican F bodies could be had with a stick and console.

Lightning II

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’ll have to check that site out. I was hoping to find out if it was the same console for either transmission, or if each had its own version.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Is this it?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

VOLARE 1978 Console, Front 351860 | eBay

Never seen one of these.

Greg

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's what they called a "buddy seat" (not a console though). They were available on quite a few Chrysler Corp models. My '78 Cordoba had one.

I don't think it would be the most comfortable place to sit! I always left the backrest down in the armrest position.

volare 77

Reaction score
I haven`t ever seen one with a console and 4 speed. I wonder if one could be modified to work and still look factory?

DCAspen

Reaction score
Pretty sure the console was the same but they must have used a different shifter with a bend in the handle like a 68-69 Abody to have it go thru the hole in the console.

droptop

Reaction score
You might try contacting Gunslinger. I know they make a pistol grip shifter for an a body with a console. Would take some fabrication, but it might just work. Says in the comments that it will also work on f bodies. And a pistol grip shifter always looks bad ass.

Abody Manual Shifters Gunslinger

DCAspen

Reaction score
Nice find,A factory A-body console shifter goes for big bucks,That looks like it will work.I had a pistol grip in my 70 340 Dart and used a 71-74 B-Body bench seat shifter

Aspen500

Reaction score
Now I see how a console can be used with a 4-speed. Was wondering since an auto shifter is centered, while a manual is offset to the left.

The console would need to be different to fit over the 4-speed floor hump, also.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Console probably has a cut out on the side and a carpeted hump is added like the A-Body ones do.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Its all 76 mexi A body like parts, shifter and console, maybe? Shouldn't be hard to look a bit deeper. They got some cool mopars we didnt.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I did some searching and so far, didn't find anything that shows a Mexican F-body 4-speed with console. Somewhere there has to be at least one photo. I'd love to see what it looks like if only for the curiosity thing.

DCAspen

Reaction score
I have a picture of an orange 78 super bee with a 4 speed console somewhere in my junk,I'll see if i can find it,searched on line...nothing

Back