Rear interior side panels for 76 Aspen

wnyaspen

Reaction score
I need rear interior side panels for my 1976 Dodge Aspen R/T. Black preferred, mine are dry rotted from the sun.

Thanks

Paul

Autostocks

Reaction score
How are these panels removed? I've removed the screw in the center of the panel and the screw at the coat hook, loosened the screws on the moldings around the rear window and at the top of the front window openings. Seems like the panel should slide forward toward the door opening but I can't get it to budge. Are there some other fasteners that I'm missing? Do I need to remove the rear seat (doesn't seem like it)?

BTW, the link above for Deconstructor Jim is broken. Realize this is over 7 years old, but is he still around?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Jim retired and he is missed!

You do need to remove the rear seat. Then take the panels off on the lower part, where the seat belts go through. They have one screw into the upper panel and a hook towards the back, IIRC. Can't recall if there's another screw behind the lower panels or behind the seat backrest (It's been awhile) After that, they should come off.

Autostocks

Reaction score
You do need to remove the rear seat. Then take the panels off on the lower part, where the seat belts go through. They have one screw into the upper panel and a hook towards the back, IIRC. Can't recall if there's another screw behind the lower panels or behind the seat backrest (It's been awhile) After that, they should come off.
Sure enough, three more fasteners hidden by the rear seat. Had to remove the sill plate, too, to remove the lower trim piece, which also has to come off to get the upper one off.

Found something interesting when the seat came out. The back of the seat bottom is upholstered in green vinyl, while the rest of the seat is black. Still has the "Chrysler Corporation Central Soft Trim" tag on it though, so I think that's just the way it was made. Maybe running short of black pieces that day?
20221217_202513.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
For the hidden areas, they sometimes used whatever scraps they had on hand. I've seen all sorts of that type of thing over the years. Guess it was recycling before it was a thing.

Back