Rearend swap

Badasspen

Reaction score
I'm wanting to rid myself I'd the isoclamp setup. So ebody hd springs, firm feel forward perches, bbody Dana 60, and 3" spring perches will give me enough rearend to handle hyperspace?

My imp

Reaction score
Greetings Folks,
Hope everyone enjoyed the Holiday weekend. Whilst collecting parts for my winter project (my '81 Imp) I was wondering if anyone knows of a crossmember that will fit an AOD? Also what is the measurement for the driveshaft from the AOD to an 8 3/4" rear. I will need to acquire a trans yolk as well. Thank you, Larry

My imp

Reaction score
My bad, a518 EOD. Contemplating 904 to 518. Just for the sake of discussion I was wondering; 3.55 with a 904 or 727 (I have both), or 4.30 with a 518 (I need a 518). My Imp has a 360 with before mentioned mod's, it has a non descript "rv" cam that'll be getting changed hopefully soon. The car will be almost exclusively street driven, with the possible exception of getting a verifiable time slip (or if I win)lol. Any input appreciated. Thank you, Larry

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
use the large "butterfly" trans crossmember mount, as the 518's OD unit requires removal of the small trans crossmembers usual retaining bolts to the frame of the car.

My imp

Reaction score
While looking through my MM I read all the articles on a project car "Mobydoba", and they modified tha factory crossmember. I have the stock one in the Imp, plus the 727 one from the '85 Gran Fury Police car. For ease of installment, I may just install the 727; as I do have a 727, but don't have a 518. Has anyone ever used the 618? Being based on the 727 vs. the 904, isn't it inherently stronger? Is it a flex plate/torque converter swap? Plus electronics, is there anything else involved? Is a rebuildable core that much harder to find? Cost effective? In reading many different forum letters, it sounds like these swaps aren't completely ironed out. One article by PTA something or another (sorry, 8 yrs of OxyContin, & 5 more of Opana have MORE than taken their toll) seems close to a workable albeit not perfect system. Thank you, Larry

horsepowerjunkie

Reaction score
While looking through my MM I read all the articles on a project car "Mobydoba", and they modified tha factory crossmember. I have the stock one in the Imp, plus the 727 one from the '85 Gran Fury Police car. For ease of installment, I may just install the 727; as I do have a 727, but don't have a 518. Has anyone ever used the 618? Being based on the 727 vs. the 904, isn't it inherently stronger? Is it a flex plate/torque converter swap? Plus electronics, is there anything else involved? Is a rebuildable core that much harder to find? Cost effective? In reading many different forum letters, it sounds like these swaps aren't completely ironed out. One article by PTA something or another (sorry, 8 yrs of OxyContin, & 5 more of Opana have MORE than taken their toll) seems close to a workable albeit not perfect system. Thank you, Larry

I beleive the 518 is based on the 727 & the 500 is based on the 904.

My imp

Reaction score
Thank you, I know which tranny's they're based on, what I'm asking is whether or on it is cost effective to acquire the 618 and rebuild over the 518. I have a 727, but have numerous rear end ratios to run. I have 3.23, 3.55, 4.30 all for my 8 3/4". The first couple would be ok without an OD trans, however, with a 4.30 rear cog I'd want one so I could afford to drive it! Thanks again, Larry

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Larry, I had a 518 in a Mirada, I lost ALOT of low end/ off the line acceleration.
Perhaps a 3.23 gear with a 904 and a low 1st gear in the trans would suit your application?

Back