Removing body side moulding

old yellow 78

Reaction score
OY has black vinyl moldings attached only with adhesive. It is starting to come off in a few places, so I don't think it would take much to remove it completely. My concern is whether the paint will be a shade darker due to fading from the desert sun for 40 years. I suspect that it is original Mopar molding, as I have seen the same type on several other F's. Any pics of the entire side with the molding removed yet Raff?

Raff

Reaction score
OY has black vinyl moldings attached only with adhesive. It is starting to come off in a few places, so I don't think it would take much to remove it completely. My concern is whether the paint will be a shade darker due to fading from the desert sun for 40 years. I suspect that it is original Mopar molding, as I have seen the same type on several other F's. Any pics of the entire side with the molding removed yet Raff?

Greetings OY, here is couple of pics with the molding removed. The area where the trim was is barley noticeable. You can feel the difference in the paint when you run your hand over it. Buffing the paint should take care of that.
IMG-9649.JPG
IMG-9651.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'm glad that I found this post again. I wasn't sure where it was. I'm going to try to remove the side molding on OY when I get it back from my neighbor. I'm leery of using my heat gun near my paint, but I'll have to be very careful. I'm hoping the paint is not too different underneath due to years of exposure to desert sun.

volare 77

Reaction score
WD 40 does a decent job of getting off the residue once removed. It doesn`t hurt the paint from my experience. It does take some rubbing but it is safer then using goof off or the other harsh crap.

Raff

Reaction score
Heat gun on low and the trim peeled right off. I just used a plastic scraper to give it a little nudge. All of the residue came off with the trim.

Back