Restoring my grandpas 84 fifth avenue

John89

Reaction score
Well I still have to put the regulator on and Iam hoping that that will fix it

Aspen500

Reaction score
When you do the regulator, be sure you've got a good clean ground where the mounting bolts go. I mean, no paint or rust. An fix from "back in the day" was to also add a ground wire or braided cable. One eyelet under one of the regulator mounting screws, the other end to the back of the engine block. If the regulator doesn't have a good ground, the charging system won't work. If it's grounded but the connection has too much resistance, it'll charge but not that well and could be sporadic. Just an idea to check.
Oh, and beware of el cheapo deluxe regulators made in China. Get a good one. If any electrical or electronic part says it's made in China, run away. I've seen WAY to many Chinese parts bad right out of the box.

Last edited:

John89

Reaction score
My grandpa always got everything from napa and never had any thing go wrong with them

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Napa had always been light on asian invasion parts.
Not sure if that's as much the case now but a lot is Mexican which is a hell of a lot better than chinese.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If the part (or any other product for that matter) ISN'T made in China, it's probably just fine. Even Taiwan has better stuff. Heck, I put a part on a car the other day that said "Made in Botswana" of all places, and it worked just fine. Made in USA or Canada is best of course, and Mexico is pretty darn good too now days but avoid China if at all possible (which means don't shop at Walmart) lol.

John89

Reaction score
I never get car parts at Walmart but the oil for the car and a mopar oil filter for it

greymouser7

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
Those are tough items to find. I've been looking locally myself and the best I've come up with so far is driver quality.
They are out there but you have to look....where are you located?

I am working on restoring my grandpas 1984 fifth avenue it's dark brown with dark brown carpet and tan lather seats. and I am trying to track down the chrome rocker molding that goes under the doors and between the wheel wells for the passenger side of the car. I've gone to body shops, junk yards and Chrysler dealers and have come up empty handed. I have the new rocker moldings that stick on but it's not really what I want to put on the car. I'd like to put it to how it was the day it rolled off the line at the plant. If anyone could help me find one please let me know. Thanks.

What are the exact names for these items and what do they look like? I'll look.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
What are the exact names for these items and what do they look like? I'll look.

Rocker trim/moulding.

20150504_143157.jpg

20150504_143157.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
When you do the regulator, be sure you've got a good clean ground where the mounting bolts go. I mean, no paint or rust. An fix from "back in the day" was to also add a ground wire or braided cable. One eyelet under one of the regulator mounting screws, the other end to the back of the engine block. If the regulator doesn't have a good ground, the charging system won't work. If it's grounded but the connection has too much resistance, it'll charge but not that well and could be sporadic. Just an idea to check.
Oh, and beware of el cheapo deluxe regulators made in China. Get a good one. If any electrical or electronic part says it's made in China, run away. I've seen WAY to many Chinese parts bad right out of the box.

I've open many hoods on mopars both still running down the road and those put out to pasture. I've seen the daisy chain of ground wire and ground mesh like a spider's web. Paint, rustproofing, insulation, and anything that blocks a good path with be a nemesis. The components like ignition boxes, volt regulators, and anything with the potting material that looks like clear silicon, will heat up, melt and fail. Don't be afraid to build a ground network from component base to component base or scratch a little bit of paint off. I met a dude at Chrysler's at Carlisle who was still running the dreaded early 80's mopar fuel injection in an Imperial. The guy had a maze of ground mesh and wires going on, but the damn thing ran. Also, as metal ages, its resistive properties changes. Metal naturally oxidizes and that increases resistance. You could fight Ground ghost all day and night.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've been to Walmart once in my entire life.
Once was enough.
I was dumb enough to go there twice. Last time, to avoid crowds, I went over at 3am. Some scary looking people there (even worse than during the day, lol)

Take a look at the newer vehicles. They have grounds for days. I'd guess the average number under the hood alone is probably a dozen or more, plus the dozens elsewhere in the car. If you do it right, you can add grounds to our cars and not make it obvious if you're going for a stock look. Trick is to integrate them into the wire harness and attach them to the body in hard to see areas.

John89

Reaction score
Well I got the voltage regulator on the car last night and i do believe it fixed the battery issues I have been having. I also checked the oil last night and it was still at the full line so I know that it's not gushing oil now so that makes me feel better

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_2191.jpg
100_2192.jpg
100_2193.jpg
I run into this old couple every year at Glassboro carshow on the Friday of Labor day weekend. I have some more pics of this sweet 5th, but this is what you shoot for in getting a 5th "Show quality"

100_2191.jpg

100_2192.jpg

100_2193.jpg

Back