Road Runner Decals Placement ????

10secRR

Reaction score
Hey guy's I have just purchased the full replacement RR stripes for my 77 from Phoenix Graphics. I think they will look great but I was just wondering about placement. Does anybody have the measurements on how far from the bottom of the door etc ??? I sure don't want to screw these up so any help or advice would be appreciated. Joe

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I paided someone 200 bucks to put mine on and they were well worth. Mine are easier than a Road runner. Look at some good pics of car and the dealer brochures. If you get a good decal installer they can go off the pics.

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
I have factory brochures and some magazine road tests that clearly show how sloppy the factory was with the stripes on our cars. Especially the 76-77's. I have installed 3 sets of R/T stripes, one set being NOS. the nice thing about factory NOS stripes is they are idiot proof. The backing paper is cut to fit against certain body lines and notched at the spots where the stripes should hot door edges etc. problem here is the repop stripe kits are not set up this way. I did have some NOS stripes for a roadrunner i will look and see if they have the notches etc., that might give you a baseline for some measurements....

-kenny

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I think I can help you out. Haven't touched the car body wise (other than to remove the rear bumber last week...)

Greg

Mopar_413_15.jpg

10secRR

Reaction score
Thanks guy's , I talked to a guy about installing them for me but it just don't seem right. lol I do all my own work and I think I will do this to. Could you take some up close pics of the sides for me ???

lowbudget

Reaction score
What are they made of? Are they vinyl or a decal? With vinyl you can do a dry install or a wet install. The wet install is more forgiving as you can move them around until satisfied then squeegee the water out. This is what I use doing vinyl grafifcs on cars. http://www.rapidtac.com/rapidtac-products.html Rapid Tac for cast vinyl and Rapid Tac II for calendared vinyl. There is a lot of good info on putting down vinyl on the net. I use a masking tape hinge to lay it down. My main advice is to keep everything clean even the decal backing before you peel it off as a speck of dust can be seen and is there forever.

I'd go out back and measure my 77 for you but I'm stuck in Kuwait for another 12 days.

I'd try it if I were you.

Last edited:

10secRR

Reaction score
They are vinyl 3m backing. I have installed graphics before but not as many and as complex as these dudes are. I think I will give it a shot tomorror morning. Wish me luck.

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
Looots of soapy water (or gel if you have it) is the key...they are pretty forgiving just take your time and squeegee the hell out of em.

The time to take out bubbles is now, some people will tell you they will dissappear in the sun but it isn't likely.

Don't peel the tape until you have squeegied as much as you can and gave them a little time to dry.

Also never touch the bare stripes with your squeegies unless you soap the crap out of the outside of the stripe. The vinyl will tear pretty easily and best case you will have a nice wrinkle you can't get rid of...

-Kenny

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
My guys used the dry apply. They taped them in place after trimming the excess off. Then they used peices of tape applied above them as a straight edge. Then starting in the middle they removed the backing and squeegeed them from the middle to one end and then the middle to the other end. Mine had very few bubbles that could use a pin prick and some did go away with the heat.

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
A lot of times they will flatten out with heat but you will still see a little circle where the bubble was.

I am also not a fan of the pin prick thing but I have done it in a pinch. If you do it right there shouldn't be hardly any bubbles left anyway.

Like I said earlier it would be cool if the aftermarket ones had the notches etc. in the transfer tape like oem, makes it really easy. The R/T decals I put on my car were cut to fit between the wheelwell, the door opening, and the crease at the bottom I mean a kindergartener could have put them on straight.

10secRR

Reaction score
Thanks guy's everybodys imput has been appreciated. I got one side done today and it turned out pretty good. Very few bubbles. The black stripe over the wheels was a bag of crap and I had to do them dry. All ana all a lot of work but it;s getting there.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

10secRR

Reaction score
No steel bumpers cause I like chrome. LOL
The old car would be a lot faster if I added more glass. But I like chrome.

10secRR

Reaction score
Thanks, Been part of the family since 1984. One of these days my wife will let me call it mine. LOL

dodgeum

Reaction score
What size rear tires are you running on there ? They fit the wheel openings really well !

10secRR

Reaction score
Hey dodgeum thanks they are 16.5 x 31 M/T Street slicks.
roadrunnerman one side took about 5 hours to do. Today it's grt to work on the other side.

lowbudget

Reaction score
It looks great! I love the big meats in the back. Are you tubbed, running spring offset?

Back