Sadness behind the Garage Door

slant6billy

Reaction score
So Gator and I went to look at a car today and found something else. A sad story of a man having a heart attack and wrecking his prize Aspen R/T.

The man's son won't part ways with this cherished car of his dad's. Gator and I felt really bad even asking if the car was for sale.

This was a 8 3/4 swapped in nicely built 76 R/T
100_3663.jpg
100_3664.jpg
100_3665.jpg
100_3666.jpg

100_3663.jpg

100_3664.jpg

100_3665.jpg

100_3666.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sorry, the man was deceased, which made it even more difficult for the man's son.

Gator

Reaction score
I was in shock when I saw the car in the garage.What a cool car should of got pictures of interior.it was just redone.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Man..that sucks. Is the car nearby, and does he have plans on fixing it back up? I saw the FB post first..glad I could get the story.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm going to see if my neighbor can get this hurt aspen on his shop's frame machine. I think for the son it must get rebuilt as a homage to his father.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm betting that's why he won't let it go but he might not have the skills. It would be great if it could be fixed up so he'd have it to drive.

slant6billy

Reaction score
It would take energy, money, and skill. I am not sure the son would even want to begin thinking of the resources he would need.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It would take energy, money, and skill. I am not sure the son would even want to begin thinking of the resources he would need.

In an ideal scenario/situation it sure would be cool to restore that baby and hand him the keys.

Unfortunately real life is very different.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Yes. They are doing reruns called "Overhaulin' Deconstructed", which is a set of re-runs, but according to the intro to the show, they are working on new episodes. Also, a few weeks back, there was a story of Johnny Depp's wife having her '67-'68 Mustang done up on the show, so they must be doing new shows.

Thing is, I don't know who pays to get the car redone; is it the show, or is it the family/axquaintances of the person whose car is redone. Isn't going to be made up here in Canada, so it doesn't really mattter up here, but if the show pays for it, I think this would be a great vehicle and story to do a show on.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I think this would be a tough call. It would be one thing if the car just needed to be restored and that's what the father had wanted to do. It's quite another that he unfortunately died in it (at least that's the impression I get). Not sure its a good memory for him to hang on to it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I guess it depends how long his dad had it.
Did he restore it? Did he love it? Is there a large history with him, his dad and that car? There's always a story behind the car isn't there. Wonder what this one is?

efriedrich

Reaction score
That R/T is toast, lots and lots of money needed to bring it back.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I think this would be a tough call. It would be one thing if the car just needed to be restored and that's what the father had wanted to do. It's quite another that he unfortunately died in it (at least that's the impression I get). Not sure its a good memory for him to hang on to it.

There is a huge liability with these shows redoing peoples' cars. There was an article last year discussing how the vehicles from Mtv's pimp my ride were not even street legal in a good number of states. Once commercial endorsements get involved they run the risk of assuming responsibility. Less and less corporate sponsors will get involved after their legal teams can't see past their starbuck's coffee. If that car wasn't so wrecked and questionable- like just a repaint and trim, then it would be a slam dunk.

Back