Same question one more time

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
I have a 360 going in my 78 Aspen this week, trans is a 727 with a column shift..I called Dougs and TTI and they said there was nothing for my application..I’m very new to Mopars so there’s a lot to learn, there are guys on here running headers on their F Bodies,what headers do you run with no interference issues with things getting in the way? I’m willing to give up some hp/torque and run shorty headers if it will simplify things..Your help is much appreciated..Thanks, Jim..

Aspen500

Reaction score
I know guys use TTI A-body headers on F-body. Personally no idea if the column shift linkage interferes or not though.

There's also the Schumacher headers. They are pricey at $1,195 for ceramic coated. Same question on the column shift. I've got their big block headers on my Aspen, and they fit like a glove with zero issues.

Can't make the link to the page copy for some reason but the web address is engine-swaps.com

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There are people on here using TTI headers. Never heard of them having to change shifter type.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I ran these on a Fifth Avenue with a small block. All F/J/M platform cars have the exact same under hood layouts. They fit well, but you'll see from the picture the 1,5 & 7 tubes go under the steering link. It's very easy to contact the ground with these style headers. Depending on the road conditions you might be OK. In Michigan, not so much.

PLYMOUTH Hooker Headers 5901-1HKR Hooker Competition Headers | Summit Racing

The Doug's and TTI don't have this issue. There was a thread over on Moparts about manufactures removing product listings for their parts as fitting catalyst era vehicles. EPA found some free time and started coming down on them. Probably why Doug and TTI say they don't have anything for this application when I know there people using their headers on F bodies.

hok-5901-1hkr_xl.jpg

volare 1977

Reaction score
tti does show them on their site for the f body. Header Number 340 I had floor shift and I did have to modify the linkage rod some but it was so long ago I don`t remember exactly what I changed. Not sure about column shift. Check the TTI site under header fit section listed under that header number.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
I used a cheap set of, Summit Racing headers for an A-body. Fit is fine but, like the Hooker headers, you have to run the steering linkage through the primaries of the drivers side. Only clearance issue is with the ground/speed bumps particularly; typical long tubes hang low. TTI and Doug’s don’t have the linkage or ground clearance issue.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've noticed some things that used to be listed for later cars now stop at 1974, which leaves f/m/j off the list. Could be because of the KGB, I mean EPA getting into a tizzy.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
I've noticed some things that used to be listed for later cars now stop at 1974, which leaves f/m/j off the list. Could be because of the KGB, I mean EPA getting into a tizzy.
Reminds me in say, California, if your car comes with ‘Track Mode’ and is being operated on the street as a daily, the police can and will pull you over and immediately revoke your registration and impound your car. Can’t get the vehicle re-registered until ‘track mode’ is removed from the vehicle…which no manufacturer offers support for.

80mirada

Reaction score
I have Doug's D453 on my Mirada. Fit like they were made for it. Older catalogs show them fitting for F and M bodies, but the EPA and CARB have gone after the aftermarket manufacturers

Aspen500

Reaction score
Reminds me in say, California, if your car comes with ‘Track Mode’ and is being operated on the street as a daily, the police can and will pull you over and immediately revoke your registration and impound your car. Can’t get the vehicle re-registered until ‘track mode’ is removed from the vehicle…which no manufacturer offers support for.
Doesn't surprise me. Is there any product made that ISN'T " Not legal for sale or use in California"? Seriously, anything? They can't even have frigging drink straws there. Insane.

Anyway,,,,,,,as mentioned, pretty much any header that fits an A-body will fit an FMJ.

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
Guys, thank you for the info..the 360 that’s going in this week is roughly 400 horsepower..let’s just say I really want to simplify things and make things real easy for now and I install the stock manifolds until I get things straightened out with the headers..I know I will be giving up some potential horsepower and torque, I’m not going to the drag strip,the engine won’t be run at high rpm’s where headers will shine, it’s just a street driven car with some extra power..the exhaust I’m running will bolt right up to the manifolds, I know I’m giving up some performance but I will still be miles ahead of the low compression 318 power wise..running the manifolds can’t be that bad can it? Your input on this is very much appreciated..thanks, Jim…

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If you have to switch manifolds or do any exhaust work now either because the manifolds exit in a different spot or the exhaust is trash or whatever go headers now. There's no point spending money now on new exhaust psrts only to be redoing it with headers later.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Guys, thank you for the info..the 360 that’s going in this week is roughly 400 horsepower..let’s just say I really want to simplify things and make things real easy for now and I install the stock manifolds until I get things straightened out with the headers..I know I will be giving up some potential horsepower and torque, I’m not going to the drag strip,the engine won’t be run at high rpm’s where headers will shine, it’s just a street driven car with some extra power..the exhaust I’m running will bolt right up to the manifolds, I know I’m giving up some performance but I will still be miles ahead of the low compression 318 power wise..running the manifolds can’t be that bad can it? Your input on this is very much appreciated..thanks, Jim…

You'll lose 100HP or about with factory manifolds if you have a 360 producing 400HP.

If you're using factory iron heads be aware that the outside exhaust bolts go into the water jacket. Aftermarket alloy heads don't have this issue.

Camtron

Reaction score
Headers make a pretty solid difference. Personal, I can’t imagine building a 400hp motor and choking it with stock manifolds but, people can do whatever they want.
I can say with the traditional A-Body/hooker long tubes, they have to go in from underneath the car and you have to tilt the engine side to side to get the clearance for install. Doing it with the engine out would make it so much easier.

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
The 318 that’s in the car right now has exhaust manifolds which run into a nice dual exhaust system with flow master mufflers,so if I put the manifolds on the 360 everything should bolt right up for an easy job is what in thinking..actually the manifolds with the flow masters sound terrific..the engine with the manifolds shouldn’t run out that bad should it? headers will shine on the top end of the rpm range but the manifolds should keep my low end and mid range torque in check don’t you think? Let me know what you guys think…thanks, Jim..

Duke5A

Reaction score
The 318 that’s in the car right now has exhaust manifolds which run into a nice dual exhaust system with flow master mufflers,so if I put the manifolds on the 360 everything should bolt right up for an easy job is what in thinking..actually the manifolds with the flow masters sound terrific..the engine with the manifolds shouldn’t run out that bad should it? headers will shine on the top end of the rpm range but the manifolds should keep my low end and mid range torque in check don’t you think? Let me know what you guys think…thanks, Jim..

Well, depends. What cam is in the 360? You're correct in that the manifolds will limit your top end power. I ask the cam because if you have a cam that doesn't start making power until 2500 RPM and you put manifolds on that you're kneecapping yourself. If all you have is an RV cam or something really mild you'll be just fine.

Dodge Aspen R/T 318

Reaction score
Cam is pretty high lift 575/575, mopar purple..so what you are saying I’m going to turn a nicely put together set up for an engine and choke it out completely, not good…didn’t think the manifolds would kill it that bad, ok convinced that the header route is the only way to go..guys, thanks for your input, I’ll be posting and needing advice throughout this project..very much appreciated…thanks, Jim..

Back