Seat Belt TN Law

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
A federal judge has the power over a county judge but a federal judge will not interfere with a county judge. Yes you see what I am saying. If my vehicle was older and did not come with seat belts then the law could not make me install them. Even tho it is the law.

But if I cant find a shoulder strap they can ticket me Are the officer can if he chooses too. This is where I have grounds. I have done all in my power to make the vehicle safe. Some idiot on the hill in the old days didn't think about these laws very well for the collector are antiqer they just wrote anything. Thank You

Last edited:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I have a great idea hell with all the crap going on in the world now. Lets all just drop in our F's and roll on down to the white house and demand some F respect. Lets see who gets shot first. Just a thought lol

On a serious note wife got her gun permit today. Now I feel much safer for her on the road. World is really getting pretty scary now days that's for sure.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Maybe someone here might know. The seat belts that came with the wiring would they work in a aspen? Because I do not see any kind of wiring in regards to a seat belt in my aspen. Not sure if the wiring was a non us item. The only button I have is a button on the front inner door rail which turns the over head dome light on when the door is open and then when the door is closed turns the dome light off. Me and joe have been talking but we both have no clue. Thank You

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The seat belts with wiring in them, have a microswtich in the buckle. The wiring goes to the buzzer to “alert” the driver to “buckle up”.

The first thing I did on my first couple of cars, was yank the buzzer.

Now, as I get older, I need those small reminders like if key is left in ignition or headlights left on. The seat belt – not so much.

Today’s cars have seat occupancy sensors – to determine if to pop the passenger or rear air bags in event of accident.

The dome lights operate off of the Door Ajar sensors on your A (and B – if applicable) door pillars (only) and look like the picture below.

On a side note, my ’77 Wagon does not have door ajar sensors for the rear doors. There is a dimple on door pillar, where I could drill a hole for the switches, Remove both trim panels, un-tape the pigtail from harness, install new switches and presto – my rear door ajar lights work.

BudW
20160616_094535.jpg

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
The seat belts with wiring in them, have a microswtich in the buckle. The wiring goes to the buzzer to “alert” the driver to “buckle up”.

The first thing I did on my first couple of cars, was yank the buzzer.

Now, as I get older, I need those small reminders like if key is left in ignition or headlights left on. The seat belt – not so much.

Today’s cars have seat occupancy sensors – to determine if to pop the passenger or rear air bags in event of accident.

The dome lights operate off of the Door Ajar sensors on your A (and B – if applicable) door pillars (only) and look like the picture below.

On a side note, my ’77 Wagon does not have door ajar sensors for the rear doors. There is a dimple on door pillar, where I could drill a hole for the switches, Remove both trim panels, un-tape the pigtail from harness, install new switches and presto – my rear door ajar lights work.

BudWView attachment 15858

So just to clarify this. Seat belts with the wires only operates a buzzer or do they actually lock the seat belt itself till the door is closed also? Thank You

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not aware of any seat belt locks (which if you think about it, wouldn’t be good after an accident or a flood).

My ’86 5th Ave has a black button (or two, not sure what second lower button does) that allows seat belt to wind up when door is open.

The nest two pictures are from my ’77 Service Manual.
20160616_112856.jpg
77 Seat Belt test 1.GIF
77 Seat Belt test 2.GIF

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
So just to clarify this. Seat belts with the wires only operates a buzzer or do they actually lock the seat belt itself till the door is closed also?
I forgot the answer the question.

The wire(s) coming from the front center seat belt(s) are only for buzzer operation.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
The government knows what they are doing when they write laws that force classic car owners into using OEM parts that are no longer available. They do that specifically to make the car illegal to drive. If it is illegal to drive then you have to scrap it, and go buy one of their government approved electric jellybeans.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The government knows what they are doing when they write laws that force classic car owners into using OEM parts that are no longer available. They do that specifically to make the car illegal to drive. If it is illegal to drive then you have to scrap it, and go buy one of their government approved electric jellybeans.
That comment is not 100% correct.

It is, sadly, 99.192% correct.

shadango

Reaction score
In my 72 Barracuda, it came equipped with the lap belts and the manual shoulder belts mounted to the roof.

They were nasty so I replaced them with aftermarket combo lap/shoulder units as is found on more modern cars. The shoulder retractor mounted to the floor in the original bolt holes, and the shoulder harnedd "loop" mounted to the original hole that the original shoulder belts mounted in.

Easy as pie. And I feel safe.

I was not worried about being 100% original as the car is a frankencar....but if someone had an otherwise perfect car for shows etc I guess one could swap them out before a major show.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My ’68 Charger and ’69 Road Runner came with the roof mounted shoulder straps.

Being used to the newer seat belts then moving into one of the above cars – then trying to move to get (anything) and you are in for a huge awaking. Those manual belts have 0 give.

The good news is those seat belts can be left in place and most officers won’t see them.

Shortly before my Charger went up in smoke, I removed those upper belts so they wouldn’t be seen (I think – that was twenty years ago, I can’t remember).

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Update: Good News
Spoke to the Tennessee Highway Patrol today and he said as long as you have lap belts that the judge and any other officers cant enforce a shoulder belt. He stated sure you might get stopped because that is what they look for is a citizen not wearing a shoulder belt but that no officer or judge can enforce it. Meaning if I did ever go to court the judge would throw it out because I do have all new lap belts and they do meet safety standards and are the only safety restraints that I have avalable to me for the Aspen at this time. Having my mind at peace is always nice. Thank You

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Well, don't be driving it in Canada.
You need a shoulder belt because it came equipped with one.

The turban guys are back at it in court trying to get out of motorcycle helmets.
'If' they win, good bye seatbelt.
My religion says 'The Lord shall restrain me.'

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: Good News
Spoke to the Tennessee Highway Patrol today and he said as long as you have lap belts that the judge and any other officers cant enforce a shoulder belt. He stated sure you might get stopped because that is what they look for is a citizen not wearing a shoulder belt but that no officer or judge can enforce it. Meaning if I did ever go to court the judge would throw it out because I do have all new lap belts and they do meet safety standards and are the only safety restraints that I have avalable to me for the Aspen at this time. Having my mind at peace is always nice. Thank You
Cool Beans!

Back