Some people!!

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
I have a buddy who is huuuuge into derby and he always looks for these cars because of the heavy duty bumper bracing......He says they make great derby cars. He has a bad habit of destroying some very nice cars though.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is huuuuge into derby and he always looks for these cars because of the heavy duty bumper bracing......He says they make great derby cars. He has a bad habit of destroying some very nice cars though.

Like I said. If you think it's tough finding M parts now, just keep on wrecking them and see how it goes.

efriedrich

Reaction score
The thought of some nice clean mopar getting smashed all to shit just doesn't sit well.

Last edited:

jamf

Reaction score
did you mean that they put chev engines in the mopars? thats what they do around here. a few months ago one saw my '73 newport at the gas station and asked if id sell, he told me he didn't need the engine he runs chevy engines in the derby cars.

the derby guys are bad around my way, they wiped out any old mopars sitting around and are even buying newer ford crown vic police cars at auctions and smashing them with chev engins in them

qurtuba

Reaction score
Oh speaking of putting chevy engines in mopars, a guy at a gas pump once suggested that if he had my Volare, he'd pimp it out with huge wheels and low profile tires and install a bad-ass stereo system and, get this...install a Nissan Z-car 6 cylinder motor in it.
I re-iterate...the NOYVE of that character!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Oh speaking of putting chevy engines in mopars, a guy at a gas pump once suggested that if he had my Volare, he'd pimp it out with huge wheels and low profile tires and install a bad-ass stereo system and, get this...install a Nissan Z-car 6 cylinder motor in it.
I re-iterate...the NOYVE of that character!

I re-iterate.... I thought inbreeding was illegal.

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
Yes there are some dumbasses out there that should never be permitted to purchase a mopar.

I never understood the derby thing anyways. The guy I know that does it spends way more money than he will ever win back let alone hospital bills etc. I don't get it...

82Cordoba

Reaction score
I know guys around here that either look for Mopar derby cars with a 318 or look for a 318 to drop in their Fords and Chevys. Say you can't kill a 318 so thats what they want.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Hmmm, well I have derbied way back in the 80's, but never used a mopar. We were after the sedan de ville's and the electra225's.... i know a lot of the guys did use mopars, mostly the imperials, but why on earth put an underpowered chebby motor in a mopar? why bother changing the motor at all? But back to the original topic, I have a c-body also and the last 6 months I've had ppl ask if it was for sale cause they like the mopars to derby. I just say yeah I'll sell it, 2k and you can do what ya want with it... (they like the 500.00 and unders) Thats after telling me that its just what they like... 440, big car, big bumpers yada yada... so far no green has crossed my hands...And the car is in the need of tlc, but it never fails to start and wishes I would buy a pick-up..lol
HPIM1191.jpg
HPIM1191.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Give me ANY import and I'll gladly beat the crap out of it.
Trashing F, M, J, Imperial's..any Mopar and you're just as guilty as the crush happy boneyard's.

Dropping a chevy motor in it just confirms that you really are an idiot.

Save the Mope's... One day you're gonna need those parts.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay... Before you give me a hard time... let me explain.

I realize I've commited two taboo's.

#1 I posted a picture of a chevy...
#2 I actually OWNED this chevy...

Now I'll explain....
THIS is what you want in a derby, Big, Homely and Stupid.
I bought this hulk of iron oxide so I wouldn't have to drive my Mopar's in the winter. They used pretty much the identical design on the chev's and pontiac's for a decade.
Almost every model year of Mopar is unique and I can't even fathom the idea of trashing even an average condition one.

What if it's a basket case rustbucket?

HEY! Why not pull all the good stuff, motor and driveline included and DROP A CHEVY MOTOR IN IT and go to town at the derby.

THIS IS A DERBY CAR!

BTW. The paintjob and wheel treatment you see should be on my newly acquired 79 Dippy soon.

Oh yeah... almost forgot to mention.
This steaming hunk of crap lasted me ONE season, then the tranny blew..(on a chevy?...That's unusual)
So I scrapped it...

DAMN!... Shoulda put it in the derby!

Thank You for your understanding in this matter. :icon_jook:

Chevy IMG_360.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hmmm, well I have derbied way back in the 80's, but never used a mopar. We were after the sedan de ville's and the electra225's.... i know a lot of the guys did use mopars, mostly the imperials, but why on earth put an underpowered chebby motor in a mopar? why bother changing the motor at all? But back to the original topic, I have a c-body also and the last 6 months I've had ppl ask if it was for sale cause they like the mopars to derby. I just say yeah I'll sell it, 2k and you can do what ya want with it... (they like the 500.00 and unders) Thats after telling me that its just what they like... 440, big car, big bumpers yada yada... so far no green has crossed my hands...And the car is in the need of tlc, but it never fails to start and wishes I would buy a pick-up..lol
HPIM1191.jpg
HPIM1191.jpg

Nice Newport btw.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Nice Newport btw.

Thanks, I did put the hubcaps back on... that was my youngest boys idea, pull caps paint wheels flat black... It did have the remains of the vinyl roof, but it was in such poor shape we just peeled it off. Was originally going to paint the top white, but never made it that far...The interior is really rough but the body is really decent...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That was a cool model. My buddy had one with a 400.
Painted over flat black. Used to be a cab. I loved it.

Back